CBR1100XX.org Forum

Car door locks

blackhawkxx

14 minutes ago, DaveK said:

I’ll say this. Every time a see some dude in a 1980 Buick Rivera or an 1994 Taurus I’ve got major respect. 

I also had a 1996 Honda Civic Hatch with crank windows and no AC. 

I could put up with everything except for no AC. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SwampNut said:

Passive locking is a must-have in any vehicle I'd consider buying.  It's 2023.

Scenario... mother exits vehicle.  Walks around car to get child from passenger rear.  Vehicle passively locks.  Keys, phone, and kid are inside car.  In Southeast or Arizona summertime.  Safety glass (it's 2023...)

Satan giggles at your ignorance.

Passive locks are, in fact, the devil.

14 minutes ago, Furbird said:

Scenario... mother exits vehicle.  Walks around car to get child from passenger rear.  Vehicle passively locks.  Keys, phone, and kid are inside car.  In Southeast or Arizona summertime.  Safety glass (it's 2023...)

Satan giggles at your ignorance.

Passive locks are, in fact, the devil.

Darwin.

11 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

I always look read through the manual but either missed the hidden key hole or it isn't in there.  I already knew about the shifter lock out at least on Fords and Ford supplies a funnel with the vehicle for adding gas.  I never step out of the house without my knife and flashlight plus 99%  of the time, a weapon.  

Look in the index under “clitoris.” 

15 hours ago, IcePrick said:

Screenshot2023-10-26at8_25_37PM.png.46322fa2bd34332c94c39cea3c697f23.png

A couple of months ago the wife was taking the car out of state to visit family and I worked to make sure she remembered those numbers.

It could make a difference. 

Edited by blackhawkxx
  • Upvote 1

On 10/25/2023 at 8:56 PM, blackhawkxx said:

The battery in wife's car died and it got me to thinking, what if the battery completely died, how would you unlock the door to open the hood since it doesn't have key locks? 

Some of the replies seem to miss this point.

12 hours ago, Furbird said:

Scenario... mother exits vehicle.  Walks around car to get child from passenger rear.  Vehicle passively locks.

That's the scenario that doesn't happen sure.

Scenario:  A comet is headed to earth, and mom forgets to lock her car.  Hit by comet.  Apocalyptic looters steal all her diapers.  Dad is left to blowing zombies for diapers. Do you want THAT?

4 minutes ago, Furbird said:

I just had a newer Toyota 4Runner lock on me with the door open and the key was sitting on the seat today.  

Who's ever car that is... they need to go into the setting menu and turn that feature off.  It's a bad one. 

7 minutes ago, Furbird said:

I just had a newer Toyota 4Runner lock on me with the door open and the key was sitting on the seat today.  But keep on arguing about how I don't know what I'm talking about, Carlos.

Oh no, I believe you that you are able to experience outlier events that don't happen to anyone else.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, SwampNut said:

What can be simpler than just walking up to the car and driving away without doing anything?

Not having to open the door?

2 hours ago, SwampNut said:

Model X.  As you walk up, the door opens itself, and closes when you sit.

Could be potential live saver. Opening and closing doors is very strenuous activity. So many things could go wrong. 

• Haha 1

Most newer vehicles these days have an app you can use to lock/unlock doors, start it up. 

My truck will start and depending on the temp turn on the heat or AC to make it comfortable. Not as fancy as a Tesla, we do have equipment at work that has a switch next to the master switch. You press the button and the door opens up for you pretty simple compared to the autonomist loaders and haul trucks coming out now. 

4 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

Electronic shit is great until it’s not. I’ve never heard of a keyhole suddenly failing to respond to a command.

People that always have newer stuff never seem to give much thought about those types of things.  If I bought a new vehicle every two years, I guess I wouldn't either.  My last new four wheel one was 1993 so I do think about it.

6 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

Electronic shit is great until it’s not. I’ve never heard of a keyhole suddenly failing to respond to a command.

My ex's topotheline everything 2023 Volvo V90 went caput at the gas station. She fueled up, and the thing stopped to respond to anything. As it turned out later car decided to upgrade parts of software on its own, and then there was a glitch. Lol.  Or that's what dealership told her later. 

Anyway, it was late evening, she called Volvo 800 number and after going back and forth for an HR or so they sent a tow truck and dragged it over to the dealer. 

It took dealership 10 days to get that 90k $ POS going again.