CBR1100XX.org Forum

Car door locks

blackhawkxx

The battery in wife's car died and it got me to thinking, what if the battery completely died, how would you unlock the door to open the hood since it doesn't have key locks?  I hate not having key locks for both the doors and truck. 

Something as easy as changing the battery turned into a pain.  Napa didn't have one and said they could have it the next day (their best AGM).  Pulled the old one today, took it over in the Wing and the one they said would fit was too big.  So they ordered a smaller one for tomorrow (don't make a AGM in that size).  So back over tomorrow.  

It probably has a painted plastic cover on the driver door handle that you have to pop off to reveal the key hole if you don't see it.  They've been doing that for several years.  Of course, that means it will either break upon removal, you'll scratch it with your knife/screwdriver/method of prying it off the car, it goes flying and scratches it up when it hits the ground, or it will fall in the drain in the Walmart parking lot.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Furbird said:

It probably has a painted plastic cover on the driver door handle that you have to pop off to reveal the key hole if you don't see it.  They've been doing that for several years.  Of course, that means it will either break upon removal, you'll scratch it with your knife/screwdriver/method of prying it off the car, it goes flying and scratches it up when it hits the ground, or it will fall in the drain in the Walmart parking lot.

Well, after searching, you are correct.  It sure is hidden well and I didn't notice it in the manual.  BTW- Ford Fusion.  Someone knows the answer to just about everything on here, thanks.

Lock1.thumb.jpg.2c33784c453976ce06048235df43d456.jpg

Lock2.thumb.jpg.46553fa8455d05547df130197abdf7bc.jpg

• Upvote 1

I've had owners of normal cars call me freaked out because they were locked out of their car when the remote stopped working.  Cars with key ignitions and obvious key locks on the doors.

• Haha 1

I'm sure most people don't know about the hidden key in their fob and the hidden keyhole on their car.  

There are all sorts of little nuggets of wisdom in that 350+ page book in the glovebox.  Since nobody ever reads it, they'll probably soon resort to putting a QR code sticker inside the glovebox and tell you to look it up online so they don't have to spend the money publishing it.

How many average folks know how to get their modern auto-transmission car into neutral without battery power?  Can they find the towing eye for their car?  How do you pour gas from a portable tank without a nozzle into those tricky new gas fillers?  Just a wild-assed guess, but information of that sort might be in that manual, and reading it by flashlight (you DO have two of them charged and handy, right?) beside a busy highway while the sketchy-looking tow truck driver roots around in your car trying to figure it out himself probably isn't the best time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IcePrick said:

There are all sorts of little nuggets of wisdom in that 350+ page book in the glovebox.

Which is, in essence, the problem.  50 pages would be more than most will process.  My Prius has 3 manuals. 😵

13 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

I don't know of any car that doesn't have a key and key hole.  A googling or RTFM might reveal the secret.

Yes you do.

676C300D-C54B-45C6-83E5-41F783EE8A69_1_105_c.jpeg

In this case, there's a jumper terminal inside the hole that also has the tow hook, in the front bumper.  Pop the cover, apply 12v, unlock.

1 hour ago, IcePrick said:

Since nobody ever reads it, they'll probably soon resort to putting a QR code sticker inside the glovebox and tell you to look it up online so they don't have to spend the money publishing it.

Soon?  I think that's normal now.  The KTM was that way (but a printed manual is on its way to you because I signed up for a promo), same with the Gladiator, the Zero...

I read every manual, before I buy the car, and again after.  But I don't test drive.  So I'm a different kind of crazy/retarded.

7 hours ago, IcePrick said:

I'm sure most people don't know about the hidden key in their fob and the hidden keyhole on their car.  

There are all sorts of little nuggets of wisdom in that 350+ page book in the glovebox.  Since nobody ever reads it, they'll probably soon resort to putting a QR code sticker inside the glovebox and tell you to look it up online so they don't have to spend the money publishing it.

How many average folks know how to get their modern auto-transmission car into neutral without battery power?  Can they find the towing eye for their car?  How do you pour gas from a portable tank without a nozzle into those tricky new gas fillers?  Just a wild-assed guess, but information of that sort might be in that manual, and reading it by flashlight (you DO have two of them charged and handy, right?) beside a busy highway while the sketchy-looking tow truck driver roots around in your car trying to figure it out himself probably isn't the best time.

I always look read through the manual but either missed the hidden key hole or it isn't in there.  I already knew about the shifter lock out at least on Fords and Ford supplies a funnel with the vehicle for adding gas.  I never step out of the house without my knife and flashlight plus 99%  of the time, a weapon.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, blackhawkxx said:

I always look read through the manual but either missed the hidden key hole or it isn't in there.  I already knew about the shifter lock out at least on Fords and Ford supplies a funnel with the vehicle for adding gas.  I never step out of the house without my knife and flashlight plus 99%  of the time, a weapon.  

I didn't mean to direct that at anybody in particular, though on second glance I see how it came across as harsh.  

Just by the very nature of the site here, we tend to be machine-oriented people - probably waaaay out of the norm in the knowledge of our vehicles (and waaaay out of the norm in other areas as well).

• Like 1

The most aggravating thing about newer vehicles that I run across are passive locks.  If you don't know, that means cars that lock by themselves.  And some of these things will do it with the key still in them, even the (lol) "intelligent" key ones, especially if the battery gets weak.  They really didn't think that through.  And then there's my sister-in-law who drove 300 miles leaving her intelligent key on the kitchen counter after starting her SUV, then my brother had to drive up there to bring her the key so she could get back.  She'll never live that one down.  You'd think they'd put the vehicle in limp mode with a big ass "key not present, operations limited, check your pockets idiot" warning after a few hundred feet or so.

• Upvote 2

Passive locking is a must-have in any vehicle I'd consider buying.  It's 2023.

3 minutes ago, Furbird said:

with a big ass "key not present, operations limited, check your pockets idiot" warning after a few hundred feet or so.

They all do, yes.

13 minutes ago, SwampNut said:

Of course, being 2023, keys are retarded and the phone is your key.  That's another must have.  Fuck this key bullshit.

Love the digital key !!!!  Love not carrying a key and love even more I can text anyone I want a key. Permanent key, temp key…with rules around it. Love it all. 

IMG_4172.jpeg

Yeah, there is so much annoyance and friction with old-tech cars that you don't notice until it's gone.  Walk to the car, it's open.  Walk away, it's locked.  Lend the car, add them to your keys.  Phone dead?  Another key holder can remote start the car globally.

I was gone, and had a massive delivery coming.  I realized I left the car in the way.  Text a neighbor and he says he can move it.  I remote start it, problem fixed.

I also love that a lot of the HVAC settings are all based off of exactly how I want the car conditioned based off season, time of day and outside temp. I love that it detects moisture on a window and takes the appropriate action to cure that problem at the exact time it knows I get in to leave. 

So much goodness in my newest car. 

48 minutes ago, SwampNut said:

Of course, being 2023, keys are retarded and the phone is your key.  That's another must have.  Fuck this key bullshit.

What if phone goes dead? BTW, phone takes more room and is heavier than any car key.

All that unnecessary weight puts tremendous strain on your body and, undoubtedly, will reduce your life span. 

Edited by tomek

1 hour ago, Furbird said:

The most aggravating thing about newer vehicles that I run across are passive locks.  If you don't know, that means cars that lock by themselves. 

Can it be turned off in the menu?  I always turn off auto door lock that lock once the vehicle is moving.

1 hour ago, DaveK said:

I also love that a lot of the HVAC settings are all based off of exactly how I want the car conditioned based off season, time of day and outside temp. I love that it detects moisture on a window and takes the appropriate action to cure that problem at the exact time it knows I get in to leave. 

So much goodness in my newest car. 

I love roll up windows and manual door locks.  I keep things a long time and try to fix them myself.  Different strokes for different folks.

If I were buying a new car every couple of years, my opinion may be different but maybe not.

Edited by blackhawkxx
  • Like 1