CBR1100XX.org Forum

Self powered motorcycle air compressor

SwampNut

I'll be riding the XR to the trail, so I need to air down and back up.  It has no useful electrical system so I need a compressor with its own battery.  Shopping them is such a pain, with so much bullshit in every listing, reviews all over the place, and so many that look identical to others for 50% more or less.  Anyone using one they recommend?  Or hate?

10 minutes ago, SwampNut said:

I'll be riding the XR to the trail, so I need to air down and back up.  It has no useful electrical system so I need a compressor with its own battery.  Shopping them is such a pain, with so much bullshit in every listing, reviews all over the place, and so many that look identical to others for 50% more or less.  Anyone using one they recommend?  Or hate?

I think the only thing you're going to find is something that takes a drill battery.

With tires that skinny, does it make a big enough difference to "air-down" for non-competition riding?

22 minutes ago, jon haney said:

I think the only thing you're going to find is something that takes a drill battery.

No, there are dozens with internal 18650/27 batteries or lipo flat packs.

23 minutes ago, jon haney said:

With tires that skinny, does it make a big enough difference to "air-down" for non-competition riding?

Monstrous.  The difference between making it up a hill and not, by 50% at least.  I've spent a lot of time on our local terrain on MTBs and motorcycles, there's simply no way you'd want to do anything more than a fire trail at street pressure.  Local wisdom has us around 10-13 for motorcycles and I run 19-21 on MTB.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=motorcycle+rechargeable+air+compressor&i=automotive&crid=3P020Q6OUG21U&sprefix=motorcycle+rechargeable+air+compressor%2Cautomotive%2C133&ref=nb_sb_noss

I use FakeSpot to let me know about fake reviews.  Except now that EVERYONE is astroturfing, even good products have fake good reviews.  So Fakespot lists them as F-grade, which is accurate, but the product is still perfectly fine.  But vendors are all faking reviews to win.  Sigh.

1 hour ago, SwampNut said:

No, there are dozens with internal 18650/27 batteries or lipo flat packs.

LOL.  I figured with your search skills, you were asking the question because you couldn't find any.  Guess you were just wanting reviews and opinions.  I should read more carefully.

58 minutes ago, superhawk996 said:

Cannot be operated via app and requires actual physical work. Your bro will never go for it. 😁 

Anyway, that is what I was gonna suggest. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, SwampNut said:

Hah, well, there's the problem.  What doesn't suck?  I have a plug-in Stop & Go that is awesome.  Their cordless is fucking garbage.

CO2 cartridge? I have a Milwaukee compressor that runs on M18 batteries but too large for your application.

Pro Bike Tool CO2 Inflator with Storage Cartridge Quick, Easy and Safe for Presta and Schrader Bicycle Tyre Pump for Road and Mountain Bike, No CO2 Cartridges Included https://a.co/d/hP88Ucs

Seems like a crap shoot, might be best to just see what fits on the bike most easily.

Or you could seal the frame or swingarm, put a valve on it, and carry a jumper hose.  Better yet, get that proper colored pumper, mount a lightweight aluminum tank on the frame, and set the pumper up so the swingarm does the work and keeps the tank filled.  And macgyver a blowoff valve onto it like you have air brakes. Then you could set up an air horn, air shifter, air for emergency repairs or even help with CPR. 

• Haha 1

Expensive, but find a passable compact 12v pump and carry a LiFePo battery with?

The only other feasable option I know of is a manual, and I don't know how good that option is.  I carried a combo CO2/manual hand pump for tire "issues", and used it several times.  After some of the rides I've had, I can't imagine going all day and then manually pumping up tires with a hand pump like that as a regular practice - we were usually pretty smoked after a day in the desert.  If the foot pump is a quality one and you only need to get to 20-ish psi, it may work.

How far is it to the trailhead for you?  My normal spot was about 12 miles of street, nothing over 55mph.  I'd ride there aired up, air down at the trailhead, ride all day, and just ride home on the aired-down tires (we weren't usually in any shape for on-road shenanigans after a long day).  I was running *around* 14 front 12 rear, dependent on brand.  Yeah, the back was a little squishy and I never pushed the front around, but it didn't feel dangerous.  Then again, it wasn't heavy traffic or a lot of aggressive/dangerous drivers to deal with either.

1 hour ago, rockmeupto125 said:

Better yet, get that proper colored pumper, mount a lightweight aluminum tank on the frame, and set the pumper up so the swingarm does the work and keeps the tank filled. 

😂 I was thinking of something like that, or a sprocket connected to a compressor.

I hate that all compressors boast high PSI and almost none talk about anything that matters, like CFM.  I don't care if my car/bike compressor can make 150PSI...and I've tested a few, they wouldn't hit the advertised number.

7 hours ago, TOXXIC said:

CO2 cartridge?

I have those on the bicycles, cost adds up fast, you have to carry a bunch for a motorcycle.

The Airmoto site is a scam.  Did you read the site?  This is why I was asking for experiences; everything is astroturfed bullshit.  Anyway, I bought the exact same unit for half the price without the name on it and a longer warranty.  I put the picture from Airmoto into image search, and it showed me all of the sources of the same generic Chinese unit.  Amazon had the second best price and best delivery.  It's the only compressor with high reviews which Fakespot rates as an A.

CleanShot 2024-01-16 at 08.07.16@2x.jpg

• Like 1
  • Useful/Thanks! 1

47 minutes ago, IcePrick said:

How far is it to the trailhead for you?

Depends.  The closest one is four crow miles, but a lot farther in legal miles.  I have to go WAY around a preserve to get there.  The entrance is off 303.  Next ones, either White Tank or the area around the lake, is quite a bit more down some highways with fast traffic (74, 303, Sun Valley Parkway).  Around 30-40 minutes.   I'm just not comfortable with doing it on low tires, and won't.  Particularly when it starts to heat up.  Oh, and these are tubed tires, they will heat up a lot.  Anyway, logic aside, I'll never feel comfortable doing it, and this is about having fun.

51 minutes ago, superhawk996 said:

😂 I was thinking of something like that, or a sprocket connected to a compressor.

I hate that all compressors boast high PSI and almost none talk about anything that matters, like CFM.  I don't care if my car/bike compressor can make 150PSI...and I've tested a few, they wouldn't hit the advertised number.

Yeah, near all of the sales blurbs are useless bullshit.  The one I bought had some specific numbers on the time to get a sport bike tire from 0-30, and that was useful (and now I forgot the number, but not bad).  One said it could air up tires fast because it had a "high performance chip."  WTF

48 minutes ago, superhawk996 said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/404612773748?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28

I don't know how good it is, but it's cheap and you already own the batteries.

All of the add-on pack options were much larger than the dedicated units.  And almost as expensive.

So now...starting pressures.  I'm thinking 30f 33r for street and 13/13 dirt.  

The Airmoto compressor is a pretty good unit though it costs more than the others. Friends are pretty happy with it.

On the XR 27-29 psi would be good. 13-14 fine for the dirt.👍 

EDIT: When I ride my dual sport on the road I'm usually never over 21-23 PSI. 

Edited by T REXX14

4 minutes ago, T REXX14 said:

The Airmoto compressor is a pretty good unit though it costs more than the others. Friend are pretty happy with it.

Yep, my neighbor gave me one for Hanukkah and the rest of the neighbors. Awesome unit. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SwampNut said:

I have those on the bicycles, cost adds up fast, you have to carry a bunch for a motorcycle.

The Airmoto site is a scam.  Did you read the site?  This is why I was asking for experiences; everything is astroturfed bullshit.  Anyway, I bought the exact same unit for half the price without the name on it and a longer warranty.  I put the picture from Airmoto into image search, and it showed me all of the sources of the same generic Chinese unit.  Amazon had the second best price and best delivery.  It's the only compressor with high reviews which Fakespot rates as an A.

I guess a scam that delivers a nice little pump. 

35 minutes ago, DaveK said:

I guess a scam that delivers a nice little pump. 

It is, exactly.  Pretty common with Chinese imports, I've seen it with a lot of products.  That's why I bought it, just not from the scammers.

On 1/15/2024 at 12:19 PM, SwampNut said:

I'll be riding the XR to the trail

What's that, like two miles of road?

8 hours ago, SwampNut said:

Looks a little different. Hopefully it is as good as the airmoto. Seems a lot more people bought the airmoto? I currently have a microstart compressor however it requires the bike battery, but good enough for now. Keep us posted on it's performance.

Edited by T REXX14

It arrived, it's retarded huge and going back.  I know the listings had size, I guess it didn't really scale from numbers to how much space it wastes.  It would be fine for a car but why would you ever have a battery powered compressor in a car?  Dumb.

A9243E35-A9D2-405C-8A3B-405868C908A1_1_102_o.jpeg

9 hours ago, SwampNut said:

It would be fine for a car but why would you ever have a battery powered compressor in a car?  Dumb.

1.  Many are too weak or lazy to use a manual pump.

2.  To use an electric off the car battery, you need to have a set of wires or know how to connect to a 12v system.  Yeah, I know they come with cigarette socket plugs, but some people are just that stupid.  An all-in-one unit solves that issue…presuming you don’t forget to keep it charged…which is why I don’t get one for mom.  The one time she had a flat, she asked someone to help her change the tire…only to learn the spare was low.

Edited by Zero Knievel