CBR1100XX.org Forum

Trailering and tying down bikes

Zero Knievel

6 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

It clearly wasn't done properly or the strap would't be destroyed.  Any normal person would look at that and realize that something was done wrong, even if he thought it was right at the moment of strapping down.  I've driven several thousand miles with strapped stuff and have made some mistakes, but when I saw the evidence I corrected my mistakes rather than assert that I did it right.

And my point is that the poor design of the straps (too long a length between the hook and ratchet) made it unfit for this particular application.  Since these things come with no instructions, it’s easy to presume that it being rated for motorcycles means it’s good for all applications with motorcycles.

3 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

Since these things come with no instructions, 

Instructions for straps? Really? Mercy, please 🥺

Me thinks operator error.

Please continue. 

Edited by tomek

5 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

And my point is that the poor design of the straps (too long a length between the hook and ratchet) made it unfit for this particular application.

Every strap is too long, or too short, or too whatever if you choose poorly and/or can't figure out how to make it work.  BTW, you can get straps custom made for about the same or less cost than other good quality straps.

This is where I got mine, but there are other companies that do it. https://www.cargoequipmentcorp.com/build-your-own-tie-down-strap  If you want an option that you don't see in the menu a phone call can probably solve it.  I wanted no lettering showing so they built them 'backwards' to hide it.

5 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

Since these things come with no instructions, it’s easy to presume that it being rated for motorcycles means it’s good for all applications with motorcycles.

Jezzus.  I've got dozens of straps and I'm pretty sure I don't have a single one that's rated for a specific purpose, yet they all seem to work for every purpose I've used them for.

1 hour ago, superhawk996 said:

Jezzus.  I've got dozens of straps and I'm pretty sure I don't have a single one that's rated for a specific purpose, yet they all seem to work for every purpose I've used them for.

Everything works fine…until it doesn’t.  Had I run into this issue in the past, I wouldn’t have had an issue now.

32 minutes ago, Zero Knievel said:

Everything works fine…until it doesn’t.  Had I run into this issue in the past, I wouldn’t have had an issue now.

And when you buy ultra cheap, shitty straps and wrap, twist and kink them around hard metal parts they never work “fine”.

Go look at Mac’s Tie Downs.  Some of the best straps money can buy.  They even have a monthly Tie Down Fail email, so you will have new and exciting ways to screw up your future tows. Or send them a pic of your most recent debacle and maybe you will make their wall of shame

Good Grief

IMG_0056.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Zero Knievel said:

Are you trying to explain to us why you made the choices you did last time, or are you trying to argue about how you should do it next time?  Ok, so you made a mistake, we can see your thought process, now let's move on to doing it right.  Or are you telling everyone here they are wrong and you're right, for next time?

41 minutes ago, SwampNut said:

Are you trying to explain to us why you made the choices you did last time, or are you trying to argue about how you should do it next time?  Ok, so you made a mistake, we can see your thought process, now let's move on to doing it right.  Or are you telling everyone here they are wrong and you're right, for next time?

No.  People seem to assume I'm some dumb ass for not knowing something one would not know until they encounter it the first time.  Never had an issue with store-bought ratchet tie downs until now.  Never had an issue with prior towing/trailering.  Now that I know better, I won't repeat the mistake.  Don't we all fuck stuff up because we didn't have the benefit of a "bad experience" to learn better. 

Hell, I'm telling everyone to never go to a hospital when an outpatient clinic will do because you might get bills from multiple parties who claim to have rendered service, and it's easier to just pay them than argue over it.  Incidentally, I mentioned this when seeing my dermatologist, and she agreed...at least in an outpatient setting, you know you get a bill from the clinic and nobody else unless you're told up front (e.g., lab work done elsewhere).

Same deal with Medicare.  I've learned a lot from watching what my parents and their friends have gone through dealing with Medicare to pay things.  For example, if you are admitted to the hospital "for observation," you likely will foot the entire bill because Medicare does not cover that.  So, if they want to keep you overnight, they need to admit you as a regular patient.  For my dad's stroke, there was no issue because the precursor stroke mandated he stay overnight for observation as the big one would likely come that night (which it did).  Recently my mom was sick and had chest pains.  They wanted to admit her but until they got certain test results back as positive, it was not "necessary" and would not be covered by Medicare.  Imagine having to know all this and have the presence of mind to ask questions when in the ER as a patient.

We learn from experience.

Edited by Zero Knievel

12 minutes ago, Zero Knievel said:

No.  People seem to assume I'm some dumb ass for not knowing something one would not know until they encounter it the first time.  Never had an issue with store-bought ratchet tie downs until now.  Never had an issue with prior towing/trailering.  Now that I know better, I won't repeat the mistake.  Don't we all fuck stuff up because we didn't have the benefit of a "bad experience" to learn better. 

Hell, I'm telling everyone to never go to a hospital when an outpatient clinic will do because you might get bills from multiple parties who claim to have rendered service, and it's easier to just pay them than argue over it.  Incidentally, I mentioned this when seeing my dermatologist, and she agreed...at least in an outpatient setting, you know you get a bill from the clinic and nobody else unless you're told up front (e.g., lab work done elsewhere).

Same deal with Medicare.  I've learned a lot from watching what my parents and their friends have gone through dealing with Medicare to pay things.  For example, if you are admitted to the hospital "for observation," you likely will foot the entire bill because Medicare does not cover that.  So, if they want to keep you overnight, they need to admit you as a regular patient.  For my dad's stroke, there was no issue because the precursor stroke mandated he stay overnight for observation as the big one would likely come that night (which it did).  Recently my mom was sick and had chest pains.  They wanted to admit her but until they got certain test results back as positive, it was not "necessary" and would not be covered by Medicare.  Imagine having to know all this and have the presence of mind to ask questions when in the ER as a patient.

We learn from experience.

That's a lot of words to avoid answering the question.

• Upvote 1

Well, Zero refuses to acknowledge straps braking are coused by operator error. 

He will insist his way of strapping is absolutely, positively perfect, and even recommended by BMW. Btw, citation needed on latter. Bavarians can by dumb, but not that dumb.

Therefore let me suggest something else. Effing chains with ratchet. I used to pull flatbed and haul really scatchy and heavy machinery, like big ass 30 k forklifts, etc. That's what we used to secure loads. Well, heavy duty versions of what's in the link.

https://www.northerntool.com/products/peerless-quikbinder-plus-ratchet-chain-binders-7100-lb-load-capacity-model-h5125-0658-28045?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Trailers %2B Towing > Chain Binders&utm_campaign=Peerless&utm_content=28045&ogmap=SHP|LIA|GOOG|STND|m|SITEWIDE|||||2076951023|78255573002&gclid=CjwKCAjwsKqoBhBPEiwALrrqiCbnsIgCu9bfRlZZILSBl8jr10-Sm8AA5EC6xX6X3_GAE0Y0HPdymhoCCqUQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds 

Screenshot_20230920-124743.png

Edited by tomek

1 minute ago, superhawk996 said:

Did he use human rated straps?

It's normally that guy's job to say it, but I gotta jump in; that ain't goin nowhere!

You missed the perfect opportunity for the gendered version, "she ain't goin' nowhere!"

As I told you Mike, I bought the exact trailer off CL several years back and put my bike on it one time to try it out, didn’t even hook it to the truck before I decided it was a very poorly engineered piece of shit. To poorly built for a used Blackbird, much less a fancy BMW.
By the way, I put 1700 miles on the bike between last Wednesday and Monday. Road some great roads that I would have missed if I had a trailer. 

It would have been real neat to have ridden back with you.

IMG_2220.jpeg

• Like 1