CBR1100XX.org Forum

Moving to Li-Ion battery...which brands? BMS?

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, CBR-RR-XX-CESS said:

And her head is not attached to her neck properly.

Photo is of the subject.  Possibly manipulated, but it is Carolina Gutierrez.  Photos of this individual are abundant on the Internet and individual has been in numerous television productions including NCIS: Los Angeles.  I assume individual's head is attached properly enough for individual to act in a TV show.

Edited by IcePrick

7 hours ago, IcePrick said:

Battery disconnect switch?

As far as I can tell, no such animal.  It’s not hard to disconnect the negative terminal, but they don’t make a switch small enough to fit in the limited space provided.  I bought some quick disconnects, but they don’t work on the Prius because the 12V battery uses JIS terminals which are smaller than standard battery terminals.

4 hours ago, CALCXX said:

Say it ain't soooo. Please 

I’d wager not so.  Trans people rarely appear as attractive as the media presents on screen.  Can’t say when, if ever, I’ve seen a trans person or lesbian who was as attractive as portrayed on the big or small screen.  Heck, I’ve seen transvestite men who passed more convincingly as women than the average trans or lesbian.

11 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

Normally, no, but BMW of late is notorious for specifying batteries just large enough to start the bike if it hasn’t been sitting too long.  You can’t install a larger battery because the battery space is limited to what they designed for.  Add that all the computer stuff and keyless ignition creates a parasitic drain to the point that ever with a good battery you need to top off if the bike’s been sitting for a week.

The Big Crank I installed should have been an improvement, but even though I topped of shortly before loading the bike, I had starting issues on my Kentucky trip and had to borrow someone’s trickle charger to get the battery so it would start reliably.  It’s really a dumb design choice.  The XX is essentially analog compared to the modern BMW.  The computer will not allow a start if the voltage is too low…even though a regular bike could still crank and start at that level.  If I’m working on anything electrical and need to have the bike powered on, I have to have it on a trickle charger or in as little as 10 minutes I’ll get a low battery warning.

Hence, several BMW owners have switched to lithium since it has more capacity than AGM.

You said BMW’s “of late”.

Yours is certainly not “of late” is it? Are you saying the Germans have a faulty design? I just do not believe that. You probably have a lazy charging system.

1 minute ago, RXX said:

You said BMW’s “of late”.

Yours is certainly not “of late” is it? Are you saying the Germans have a faulty design? I just do not believe that. You probably have a lazy charging system.

As vehicles have more computer components that constantly draw power (keyless ignition and door locks) and computer controlled systems where the computer does all the work because the driver isn’t actually completing a circuit but rather telling the computer to complete the circuit, a larger capacity battery becomes necessary.  The charging system isn’t the issue.  Once running, it works great…even with aftermarket accessories.  The charge regulator does not overcharge the battery, so even after hours of operation, it will read something like 12.6 or 12.7 when the engine is off.  Parasitic drain (and the software of the ECU) is what causes the issue.

I suppose it is a faulty design to specify a battery that can’t handle the parasitic drain or to over-engineer a vehicle with stuff that puts an undue strain on the battery when parked.

The XX would crank and start with a significantly weak battery because the starter was a physical circuit connected to the start switch.  I don’t know how weak the battery would have to be so the ECU wouldn’t inject fuel, but from what I remember, if you could get the motor to turn over…even weakly…the ECU and fuel pump would do their jobs and the coils would generate enough spark to catch and run.

The BMWs now have the ECU do everything.  My start switch doesn’t not have any connection to the starter.  It signals the ECU to start the bike, and the ECU is programmed to NOT start once the voltage drops to a level where starting would still be possible.  When you can press the starter when the bike is running and nothing happens, you aren’t starting the bike as the ECU is ignoring the command.  Just as you can’t shift a Prius into Park or Reverse if moving over maybe 2 mph…the computer ignores the input to avoid damaging the transaxle.

32 minutes ago, Zero Knievel said:

As vehicles have more computer components that constantly draw power (keyless ignition and door locks) and computer controlled systems where the computer does all the work because the driver isn’t actually completing a circuit but rather telling the computer to complete the circuit, a larger capacity battery becomes necessary.  The charging system isn’t the issue.  Once running, it works great…even with aftermarket accessories.  The charge regulator does not overcharge the battery, so even after hours of operation, it will read something like 12.6 or 12.7 when the engine is off.  Parasitic drain (and the software of the ECU) is what causes the issue.

I suppose it is a faulty design to specify a battery that can’t handle the parasitic drain or to over-engineer a vehicle with stuff that puts an undue strain on the battery when parked.

The XX would crank and start with a significantly weak battery because the starter was a physical circuit connected to the start switch.  I don’t know how weak the battery would have to be so the ECU wouldn’t inject fuel, but from what I remember, if you could get the motor to turn over…even weakly…the ECU and fuel pump would do their jobs and the coils would generate enough spark to catch and run.

The BMWs now have the ECU do everything.  My start switch doesn’t not have any connection to the starter.  It signals the ECU to start the bike, and the ECU is programmed to NOT start once the voltage drops to a level where starting would still be possible.  When you can press the starter when the bike is running and nothing happens, you aren’t starting the bike as the ECU is ignoring the command.  Just as you can’t shift a Prius into Park or Reverse if moving over maybe 2 mph…the computer ignores the input to avoid damaging the transaxle.

Mostly all false. And I love how you claim multiple time you know better than BMW R&D and their “faulty design” - your limit if idiocy is bottomless. 

1 hour ago, DaveK said:

Mostly all false. And I love how you claim multiple time you know better than BMW R&D and their “faulty design” - your limit if idiocy is bottomless. 

Fuck you.  Lots of BMW owners have this issue with the newer bikes.  I suppose you know better than all of them too.

Do you think making a vehicle with a “service vehicle” warning that MUST be brought into the shop so it can be reset every oil change is a good design feature?  Maybe good for the dealership, but not the owner.

24 minutes ago, Zero Knievel said:

Fuck you.  Lots of BMW owners have this issue with the newer bikes.  I suppose you know better than all of them too.

Do you think making a vehicle with a “service vehicle” warning that MUST be brought into the shop so it can be reset every oil change is a good design feature?  Maybe good for the dealership, but not the owner.

Typical response from someone who actually knows they spew bullshit and got caught. 

On 6/1/2024 at 3:00 AM, Zero Knievel said:

Trans people rarely appear as attractive as the media presents on screen.  Can’t say when, if ever, I’ve seen a trans person or lesbian who was as attractive as portrayed on the big or small screen.  Heck, I’ve seen transvestite men who passed more convincingly as women than the average trans or lesbian.

You know as much about fake/altered women as you do the standard variety, which we know is Zero.  How the fuck would you know how many of the attractive women you've seen are gay or trans?!?