CBR1100XX.org Forum

Holy crap! Is this true?

Dedication sir, pure unadulterated dedication.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, OMG said:

Dedication sir, pure unadulterated dedication.

it's hard work, someone's gotta do it.

47 minutes ago, SwampNut said:

How do you manage to find the most retarded, conspiracy, and idiot YouTubers?

Doesn't answer the question.  The interesting bit was that they put a lube nipple on the housing, but none of it ever gets to the bearing because it's sealed.

Sealed bearings contain grease.  Do you really think that lawnmower makers buy bearings from some custom source that doesn't grease them?  Or is it that you think that the common bearing doesn't have it?  Have you opened one, ever?  Hell, have you never seen a bearing leaking its.....FUCKING GREASE?

18 minutes ago, Zero Knievel said:

The interesting bit was that they put a lube nipple on the housing, but none of it ever gets to the bearing because it's sealed.

Probably a placebo for retards (who make these retard videos), and/or a leftover casting feature from the use of open bearings.

Now, will you realize that most of your videos are made by liars and morons?

37 minutes ago, Zero Knievel said:

The interesting bit was that they put a lube nipple on the housing, but none of it ever gets to the bearing because it's sealed.

BTW, did they show a purging channel or opening?  A place for air and grease to exit?  If not it hints on the placebo since you would have a hard time making the grease travel properly.

So the manufacturer (or the previous owner last time he changed the bearings) went to more reliable sealed bearings and didn't eliminate the grease zerk.

Stupid, yes, but not the crime against humanity the toothless YouTube drunk would have you believe.

That dude's a moron.  Removing one seal from each bearing will only get the upper bearing greased after you've filled the entire cavity, assuming the lower bearing's seal doesn't pop out first letting all the grease flow out of it.

The mower was probably built with unsealed bearings and someone upgraded them, a fairly common thing.  When manufacturers make that change they usually replace the grease nipple with a plug.  I've also seen where someone replaces a plug with a nipple because "the asshole manufacturer wants my bearings to fail from lack of maintenance."

Generally speaking- Sealed components last longer in the hands of someone who won't properly service them, serviceable components can last forever if properly serviced.  It's not only my opinion, I got the same from talking with people from component manufacturers.  Properly serviced means more than just adding grease, you have to do it right.

And in case it hasn't been made clear by now; no, sealed bearings aren't assembled without grease.

Stop watching retarded videos.  When the title and thumbnail have dramatic retardation, you can generally expect the content to follow suit.

I think we are all missing the most salient point here which is....Who fucking cares? I can honestly say I have not spent one second of my life worrying about any bearings in anything I have ever owned. If a bearing goes bad...I fix it. Then I move on.

All fun and games 'till one of your wheels makes an unplanned lane change on the freeway....but hey, worse case scen.

I don't worry about them, but I service them, along with U-joints, ball joints, tie rod ends, etc.  When a bearing fails in something the repair often involves a lot more than just replacing the bearing.  I didn't pay close attention to the video but I think those bearings are for the blade shaft, if they shit out the mower is possibly totaled.

Posted (edited)

I just replaced a spindle on my riding mower and YES, they do offer a worthless grease zerk that lubes nothing.

The bearings ARE sealed. There is validation to Mikes concern. Those spindles are not rebuildable. 

No idea why they put a grease zerk there. Sealed bearings already have grease.

Bought this spare spindle years ago. Now they offer them with a grease zerk that does nothing.

Go figure😑

If you removed one seal, how many pumps of grease would it take to blow the other seal out?

Vertical shaft, how would the grease stay packed in the upper bearing? Bullshit.

Buy a new dbl sealed 6203 bearing.

3366C74F-3EA8-4F3F-904E-35933F35F56C.jpeg

Edited by CALCXX
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

Stop watching retarded videos.

Yeah, that's gonna happen.

As to the nipple on sealed bearings, there's another explanation, I assure you, as I said...

Unfortunately, you cannot make any assumptions about bearings being greaseable or sealed by the fittings and pathways alone. A bearing without a purge path does not mean it is sealed. The manufacturer may have designed the bearing to purge through the fill path. For this to be accomplished, you must grease the bearing and then remove the grease fitting to allow excess grease to purge back through the fitting. These bearing operations enable fresh grease to reach the bearing and push out excess grease.

Bearing and motor manufacturers have given various reasons as to why grease fittings are installed on bearings and motors that have sealed bearings, such as: "All motors go down the same assembly line, and it is just easier to put the fittings on every motor that comes down the line." "People would send back motors without grease fittings, as they thought the motor was defective because the fittings were missing." "Their electric motors have no purge port because the design has an internal cavity that will contain all the grease expected to be expelled for the expected motor life."

Generally, it is preferred to see a purge path, as this allows you to verify that the bearing is not overlubricated. It also enables you to purge the old grease when switching lubricant brands or types. Fortunately, most motors and bearings are labeled using either the SKF or Anti-Friction Bearing Manufacturers Association (AFBMA) coding systems. These codes are the best way to determine if a bearing is sealed.

You an always count on idiots fucking up everything they don't understand but think they do.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, CALCXX said:

I just replaced a spindle on my riding mower and YES, they do offer a worthless grease zerk that lubes nothing.

The bearings ARE sealed. There is validation to Mikes concern. Those spindles are not rebuildable. 

No idea why they put a grease zerk there. Sealed bearings already have grease.

Bought this spare spindle years ago. Now they offer them with a grease zerk that does nothing.

Go figure😑

If you removed one seal, how many pumps of grease would it take to blow the other seal out?

Vertical shaft, how would the grease stay packed in the upper bearing? Bullshit.

Buy a new dbl sealed 6203 bearing.

3366C74F-3EA8-4F3F-904E-35933F35F56C.jpeg

Grease fitting be damned. WTF did you drive over that made the rotation of the blades come to an instant standstill?

Posted (edited)

Not sure Dave.

Happened pretty fast. Even broke welds on the deck.

Not the first time full throttle has wrecked my day.

Ice Storm in Jan made our county a disaster zone.

Edited by CALCXX

6 hours ago, XXitanium said:

Wonder if that guy worked on bikes and those were abandoned.  Local shop had a lot full of unclaimed bikes.  Either needed work or owner never paid.  Business owner didn’t have the time to go to court to get title so he could dispose of them and didn’t have a written agreement for work done that bikes not claimed after X months would be disposed of.  So, his shop was full of derelict bikes.