CBR1100XX.org Forum

How to open/close garage door with broken counterbalance spring?

Zero Knievel

Mom’s garage bay had the spring break just as it closed behind her.  She has appointments, so I needed a way to get her vehicle outside.  Fortunately, a repairman was able to come out same day and replace the spring.  Also lubed and checked all 3 doors.  $475…not sure if that’s a good price, but I didn’t have the option of shopping around.

Other than buying vehicle dollies and using those to move a vehicle sideways into another bay, is there a way to raise and lower a garage door without the counterbalance spring?

i've had one of my 2 torsion springs break twice since 2001.  it's barely a 2 car garage with a single door.  without springs or counterweights, they're heavier than you'd think.

nice thing about having 2 springs is that you can add enough tension to the remaining spring to lift the door until you're able to replace both of them.

1st time i made the mistake of ordering a beefier spring, thinking that would make an easier job for the opener...  wound up not having enough oomph to close the damn door...  get the same size springs!

not a bad d.i.y., just be very methodical as you're winding the new springs.

i should remember to wrap an old pant leg or something around the springs next time.  when they go, they fling grease all around...

$475 for same day service?  'bout what you'd expect.

Edited by ptxyz
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

I have neither. 😪

Sure you do. 

Use something long and thinner at one end to prise under the to door and raise it up a wee bit. Put a block under the door, reset your prising bar, and repeat until there is room for your hydraulic floor jack. Now you're in business. Raise the door with the jack, block it up, and lift the door again using whatever you can find...4x4 post,   two 2x4's secured together, etc. keep lifting until the door is at least halfway up. As more of the door passes the 90 degree corner, less weight will be direct lift and you should be able to push the door up by hand. 

You did it! Just you and your friends leverage and hydraulics!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, ptxyz said:

$475 for same day service?  'bout what you'd expect.

Thanks.  The prices I saw online could be lower because they didn’t account for recent inflation affecting goods and services, and the guy was able to come out same day.

9 hours ago, rockmeupto125 said:

Sure you do. 

Use something long and thinner at one end to prise under the to door and raise it up a wee bit. Put a block under the door, reset your prising bar, and repeat until there is room for your hydraulic floor jack. Now you're in business. Raise the door with the jack, block it up, and lift the door again using whatever you can find...4x4 post,   two 2x4's secured together, etc. keep lifting until the door is at least halfway up. As more of the door passes the 90 degree corner, less weight will be direct lift and you should be able to push the door up by hand. 

You did it! Just you and your friends leverage and hydraulics!

Did the same thing many years ago on a very thick 1940's two car wood garage door.  

On 3/21/2024 at 4:38 AM, Zero Knievel said:

is there a way to raise and lower a garage door without the counterbalance spring?

Yes, I've done it several times.

• 4 weeks later...