CBR1100XX.org Forum

Boot won’t stay in place. (BMW)

Zero Knievel

This has been going on at least since I removed the driveshaft for inspection. The front of the boot keeps popping off. Grease and grime. It’s right above the rear universal joint of the shaft. Any ideas? I’m thinking I need to remove the shaft and reinsert it…if only to thoroughly clean the boot.

IMG_7462.thumb.jpeg.fa844ab89dd6fcd7e4b8a3c0e066c6fc.jpeg

That’ll suck. How much real damage will it do to just live with it? (My default is to let a bike get dirty. Not like you’re going to wear it out)

My best guess is that you're not getting the boot fully over the lip that retains it.  You may need to use a pick or bent wire to pull it over.

Try to spray offending areas with soapy water. 

1 hour ago, CBR-RR-XX-CESS said:

Why?

BMW. German Engineering. 

7 hours ago, RXX said:

That’ll suck. How much real damage will it do to just live with it? (My default is to let a bike get dirty. Not like you’re going to wear it out)

Don’t know.  It’s to shield the driveshaft from the elements.  Get dirt into the joint and it will wear faster.

6 hours ago, CBR-RR-XX-CESS said:

Why?

To inspect the front and rear universal joints for wear…they aren’t serviceable, but you don’t want a failure while riding.  You also should liberally grease the splines so oxidation doesn’t make it jam in place.

2 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

To inspect the front and rear universal joints for wear…they aren’t serviceable, but you don’t want a failure while riding.  You also should liberally grease the splines so oxidation doesn’t make it jam in place.

I didn't think you had that many miles on it.  Did the manual recommend it at your mileage?  

A couple of years ago I pulled the shaft out of my 1994 (that I bought new) to grease the driveshaft.  After pulling it did it need it, NO.  Total waste of effort.

2 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

Because he made a Zerological decision

Made me LOL!  A new word.

• Upvote 1

Oh well, this was a productive morning.  I decided to remove the rear drive and inspect/clean the boot.  The driveshaft wasn’t fully seated, although I don’t think that was the issue.  It takes a good shove to fully seat it, and it isn’t much extra distance.

What I did discover is that the left side bearing for the rear drive was disintegrating.  Thankfully, I caught this now, and there doesn’t seem to be any damage to associated parts.  I’ll have to take it into BMW and have both bearings replaced.  I hope I can just carry in the rear drive as it’s already off the bike.

IMG_7464.jpeg.12ce70af46b45c238517d681a4d448c8.jpeg

IMG_7465.jpeg.94e66d2e9c16a9cc745be88c220eef51.jpeg

IMG_7467.jpeg.14498ce76046788e41697a2298c25ffb.jpeg

40 minutes ago, superhawk996 said:

Looks like a mechanic/DIYer induced failure.

Possible.  Maybe I didn’t keep things clean enough…or maybe I over tightened the bolt?

23 minutes ago, CBR-RR-XX-CESS said:

Curious to know the mileage?

I’m pretty sure I’m still under 30K.  I say that because I have a while to go before I can bring it in for the free driveshaft replacement.

8 minutes ago, Zero Knievel said:

Possible.  Maybe I didn’t keep things clean enough…or maybe I over tightened the bolt?

…or .maybe you should have left it alone in the first place, but appreciate your efforts so we can all enjoy the journey!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

Zerological 

😄

FWIW - one of our group lost his drive shaft. He went and got a Spider. His wife loves it.

The Beener is collecting dust as he dreams of buying parts to repair it. She wants him to just dump it.

28 minutes ago, SierraKLR said:

…or .maybe you should have left it alone in the first place, but appreciate your efforts so we can all enjoy the journey!

...some things are better left to experts OR get yourself really well educated on the subject.

Free driveshaft, Recall Notice or what?

36 minutes ago, Zero Knievel said:

If it was induced, my guess is that you did something that damaged/dislodged the cage, the thing that keeps the balls separated.  It appears that the balls and races are ok, no obvious metal destruction, but it's hard to say from the photos.  If that's correct then you probably did something that hit/pushed on the seal causing it to pop the cage out.  If you could flatten the seal I bet it could be reassembled and be fine, if there's no metal damage.

47 minutes ago, SierraKLR said:

You do that and you risk the first warning is the driveshaft shearing.  These failures are a big enough of an issue that while BMW doesn’t have a service interval for it, owners encourage each other to check it every couple years and replace if there are doubts.

19 minutes ago, XXitanium said:

Free driveshaft, Recall Notice or what?

I thought I posted about it elsewhere.  BMW is now giving a free driveshaft replacement after 36K miles on all LC models other than 1300 series.  It’s been an ongoing issue.

2 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

You do that and you risk the first warning is the driveshaft shearing.  These failures are a big enough of an issue that while BMW doesn’t have a service interval for it, owners encourage each other to check it every couple years and replace if there are doubts.

Of course they do.  🤣

1 hour ago, SierraKLR said:

Of course they do.  🤣

Snark aside, it has been a contentious issue among BMW owners as to why such a critical component is more user serviceable or at least durable.

Ahahahaha, EVERYTHING is a contentious issue amongst BMW owners.  I gave up on the local group when they argued about the muffin quality at different coffee shop meetups.  Like gun owners, there are groups I am part of that I hate to be part of because of the other members of the group.

5 hours ago, SwampNut said:

Like gun owners, there are groups I am part of that I hate to be part of because of the other members of the group.

Sometimes it's good to be in the group of one.  😉