CBR1100XX.org Forum

Trickle Charger Options?

Zero Knievel

My existing 6V/12V trickle charger works fine...that I can tell, but I'm debating getting a newer one.  After all, it is from WalMart and must be from around 2005-2006 when I got it.  Then it cost around $35 (IIRC).

Amazon has this one for just under $100.  The main benefit over the lesser model that will work on the batteries I have is that there are a few more options on this one.

Thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W3QT226/?coliid=I2ID6J5UHC4MSU&colid=AWDUQRHHEGGR&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

71hqXWEqiWL._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.add458270a10f29839b9c370e4d73c72.jpg

I have a Harbor Freight trickle charger that I bought about 15 years ago for $9.95. I use it all winter to keep my lawn tractor battery charged. Used it on my motorcycles before that. I'm sure the one above for around $100 is worth it though. Mine only has one red LED which tells me if it's charging...or not.

3 minutes ago, Biometrix said:

I have a Harbor Freight trickle charger that I bought about 15 years ago for $9.95. I use it all winter to keep my lawn tractor battery charged. Used it on my motorcycles before that. I'm sure the one above for around $100 is worth it though. Mine only has one red LED which tells me if it's charging...or not.

But the NOCO is black. 

I have about 10 of them, all different makes and models....from $9.95 to over a $135....I "think" the el cheapo one may have cooked my DRZ battery a few years ago as I don't think it knows how to "float".

Your old one is probably just fine.

This is my favorite model as shows voltage and percentage of charge.

image.png

It's practically like new.  The circular damage is from having it fall from the radiator shroud onto a pulley.  The crack is from when it fell from the roof of a car.  The fading is from leaving it out in the sun and rain for days.

0F1017EA-D77D-4610-9AA0-7E5873345CF8_1_102_o.jpeg

9EA64520-F377-40D6-8BA9-6B0C3EFBA0F3_1_102_o.jpeg

• Upvote 1

I have four Battery Tenders ranging from over 30 years old to a year old that get used from Nov to April.  Never had a problem with any of them.

Zero, years ago I remember you saying that you didn't use them because you didn't like using "vampire" electronics or something like that.  Have things changed?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, DaveK said:

But the NOCO is black. 

So is your strap on. ;) 

33 minutes ago, blackhawkxx said:

I have four Battery Tenders ranging from over 30 years old to a year old that get used from Nov to April.  Never had a problem with any of them.

Zero, years ago I remember you saying that you didn't use them because you didn't like using "vampire" electronics or something like that.  Have things changed?

Well, the BMW and lawn equipment that have batteries don't get enough use to keep the batteries peak.  I used the zero-turn mower this week for the first time...I used the charger to ensure the battery was topped off after sitting for several months.  The BMW will need to be topped off once a month (at least) if it sits because the computer does draw constantly scanning for the key fob.

I have several, around several houses. I've had several fail. Just like any other device.

On 3/14/2024 at 8:28 AM, DaveK said:

Because of Oscar - I have about 6 NOCO’s.

And I don't own a single one 😂

I have chargers/maintainers ranging from near 0 value to over $1k.  I have two go-to chargers; a 1.5A restorer and a 6amp "smart" charger that's at least 10 years old.

6 hours ago, XXitanium said:

How many batteries do you have go tits up?

So far, none from premature failure.  My OEM BMW battery didn’t last long, but other owners complained that the supplied battery wasn’t that great.  I still have it for bench top 12v projects.

Mostly, a charger that covers all options is just a few bucks below one that does everything.  My current charger was around $30 when I bought it.  For that price, all I can find now is a one-trick pony 12v trickle charger.

On 3/15/2024 at 7:23 PM, XXitanium said:

How many batteries do you have go tits up?

The more logical question might be "why do you feel that you need a new charger?"  But asking that would be worse than just entertaining his question about getting the NOCO he linked.

IMG_1492.thumb.jpeg.064b6c7906a6d4cba5eade545a672df6.jpeg

...aaaand the Excursion batteries are at 1.5 volts.

First person to say "rat lives matter" gets a free overdose of Coumadin in their beer at the next meet.

Motherfucker sure is an overachiever.  Ima be as diligent in fixing his shit as he was in parting these wires.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, IcePrick said:

First person to say "rat lives matter" gets a free overdose of Coumadin in their beer at the next meet.

Motherfucker sure is an overachiever.  Ima be as diligent in fixing his shit as he was in parting these wires.

Well, fuck. Definitely rat, not mice. 

Is he still there or already left the ship? 🚢

1 hour ago, tomek said:

Well, fuck. Definitely rat, not mice. 

Is he still there or already left the ship? 🚢

Last one was a BIG rat, probably over a pound.  I should have taken a picture.  He was twice the size of the XL rat trap.  That was this spring, when I found the ABS wiring and the vacuum lines eaten.  Apparently someone stepped into his shoes, simple Christmas lights throughout the engine bay haven't had the desired effect...

But tonight he will feast on death.  

3 hours ago, IcePrick said:

That sumonabitch.

I've heard that wintergreen oil is a good rodent deterrent, then you'll have some around when you need to rehab some old rubber parts.

7 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

I've heard that wintergreen oil is a good rodent deterrent, then you'll have some around when you need to rehab some old rubber parts.

Snakes.  You need snakes.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

Or snake shot.

That relates to a rat trap I meant to post about, then forgot.

4 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

We've had a couple California King snakes around, but the dogs harass them and off they go.  I'd love to have some in the yard, they're beautiful and not only do they help with the vermin, but rattlesnakes are among their prey as well.  I haven't seen a rattlesnake here yet, I know they're around but my guess is the dogs keep them away as well.

• Like 1