CBR1100XX.org Forum

Instant drywall patch

SwampNut

Discovered this today, no idea how long it has existed.  Everyone at Lowe's looked at me like I was retarded when I asked for it (and obviously, I'm not claiming they are wrong in general).

Sand/clean area.

Apply sticker. 

Paint, let dry, 15-30 minutes.

Remove cover.

Paint.  Done.

EC6DA99B-DB0D-4261-ABB2-23208C9CA6EC_1_105_c.jpeg

F744E902-2F47-4F02-B892-6519874EC8F4.jpeg

AE537C61-6308-47B6-9F5D-406F4C02E453.jpeg

Unfortunately it did most de-texture the wall, so I ended up spraying texture before the final paint.  Still way faster than the hole where I'm still waiting for spackled to dry.

Depends on who you get to help.  Sometimes you get a person who knows their inventory…in spite of how often they rearrange the store’s layout.

I got lucky yesterday.  I was in Lowes and was checking out stair risers to repair the front steps.  Amazingly, all of them were identical (how the manufacturer gets inconsistent shapes in a mass produced product is beyond me), but I could only identify 4 or 5 that were sufficiently devoid of flaws (knots in unacceptable places, splits in the wood, other damage from shipping).  So I bought 3 as that would cover one side if I need to replace the risers as well.

This is background for the next bit.  I intend to reuse the stair risers provided they are undammaged (they are largely protected from the elements by the steps).  My concern was dealing with the holes made by the original screws.  I wanted to fill them in so that I wouldn’t deal with stripped out holes when installing the replacement steps.  The associate suggested drilling out the holes then inserting a dowel.  Brilliant…that never occurred to me.  Still, normally the people I deal with can’t do more than look up where something is on their phones.

1 hour ago, Zero Knievel said:

My concern was dealing with the holes made by the original screws.  I wanted to fill them in so that I wouldn’t deal with stripped out holes when installing the replacement steps.  

Wouldn't longer screws have worked?

Tapping my finger on where I know the hole to be, you can hear it.  But it seems fine.  Pushed and it dented, but bounced back.  Although stupidly expensive, it solves an annoyance of stalling a project for multiple drying periods.  Also these thumb-size holes are such a pain to fill; kinda too big for light spackle, too small for a plug fill.

On 11/20/2023 at 2:42 AM, blackhawkxx said:

Wouldn't longer screws have worked?

Dude, that is way too logical.  He has to use the Zero method.  But it's only stairs so worst case scen

On 11/20/2023 at 10:57 AM, Zero Knievel said:

Already bought the screws.

So you bought more shit to do more work to avoid buying screws.  I knew there would be a perfectly illogical reason for not doing it the easy way....nothing like a head slapper and chuckle to start the day off.

3 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

I bought the screws because I don’t know if the existing ones can be salvaged, and yes, I buy stuff before I start so I don’t spend half the day running back and forth to town to get what I need.

I think part of his point was you can't have too many screws and they don't cost that much.  Buy longer ones and save the others to have when needed for other things.  I love having things like screws, bolts, wire ties, etc. on hand when I need them so I try to keep as many in different sizes as I can.

14 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

Actually, my point was that he bought dowels to fill in the holes, which will require drilling, cutting, and glueing, rather than just buying bigger screws.

With nearly every project, you have the opportunity to do it with more work, make it less reliable, and spend more money.  Why would you take the easy way out?

4 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

And the left hand thread screws for the left side of the stairs.

I'm serious, waterproof the joists - stair risers to keep moisture from rotting the wood and or rusting the screws.

8815960215cee30cb460f537b0132c0c.jpg

12 hours ago, OMG said:

I'm serious, waterproof the joists - stair risers to keep moisture from rotting the wood and or rusting the screws.

8815960215cee30cb460f537b0132c0c.jpg

“Protcet” Beautiful.

Good idea, didn’t know they made that. I cut strips of flashing. This is much easier.

And the dowel thing…… I have done that using matchsticks. Would be better to glue them though.