CBR1100XX.org Forum

Stainless steel anti-theft cargo net for gear or whatever

This is really useful.  I just got it, and used it a few days ago.  You wrap your helmet in your jacket, push this down over it, and lock it to whatever is convenient on the bike.  Obviously it won't stop vandalism, but theft becomes much more challenging.  I bought the small one, which is surprisingly big and will deal with one armored jacket and helmet with room to spare.  I *think* the medium likely would do two sets, not totally sure.  The large would cover the bike, maybe, LOL.

I got a smokin' deal on eBay with a saved search, but now wish I'd bought it sooner since it's useful peace of mind.

https://pacsafe.com/products/55l-anti-theft-backpack-bag-protector

DFF105FE-1959-4290-BB84-134C223347A5_1_105_c.jpeg

54 minutes ago, Zero Knievel said:

a prepared thief

Just like everything else, not at all.  And how do you propose to actually answer it?  I should go start cutting with progressively larger tools?  Maybe I should park in the ghetto and pay a crackhead and record it?

9 hours ago, SwampNut said:

Just like everything else, not at all.  And how do you propose to actually answer it?  I should go start cutting with progressively larger tools?  Maybe I should park in the ghetto and pay a crackhead and record it?

Not you, but you’d think the manufacturer would have representations of how much protection it offers.  Security cables are better than chains, but it depends on what they are made from and how thick.  If a pair of tin snips could cut through the net, it’s not much protection.  If you need fairly large bolt cutters, that’s much better.

On 10/10/2023 at 1:51 AM, Zero Knievel said:

If a pair of tin snips could cut through the net, it’s not much protection.  If you need fairly large bolt cutters, that’s much better.

Tell me that you've never cut wire rope without telling me that you've never cut wire rope.

On 10/10/2023 at 4:51 AM, Zero Knievel said:

Not you, but you’d think the manufacturer would have representations of how much protection it offers.  Security cables are better than chains, but it depends on what they are made from and how thick.  If a pair of tin snips could cut through the net, it’s not much protection.  If you need fairly large bolt cutters, that’s much better.

They probably just assumed that most people would understand that steel cable is stronger and more difficult to cut (with common knives or razors) than bungee cords or fabric fasteners or nothing. 

19 minutes ago, Biometrix said:

They probably just assumed that most people would understand that steel cable is stronger and more difficult to cut (with common knives or razors) than bungee cords or fabric fasteners or nothing. 

Most people do…but some understand that “stronger” is a relative concept.  Those security cables for you laptop deter theft, but if someone wants it bad enough, there are tools that will make quick work of them…or they’ll break the laptop case to get it loose.

44 minutes ago, Zero Knievel said:

Most people do…but some understand that “stronger” is a relative concept.  Those security cables for you laptop deter theft, but if someone wants it bad enough, there are tools that will make quick work of them…or they’ll break the laptop case to get it loose.

Well that could be said for any theft deterrent device. Again, my point is that it's pretty obvious to most, so it's kind of silly to expect they would subject it to tests? It's better than nothing or just bungee cords and not as good as something stronger. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/14/2023 at 3:26 PM, blackhawkxx said:

Isn't that true for any security device or system? 

Yes, it is.  That’s why if I’m going to spend money on a security measure, I wan’t to know to what degree it protects.

When I went to Germany, doors and windows were locked.  Dogs were with my sister.  I put padlocks on the garage door rails so one could not open them from the outside.  With all the large windows on the house, a burglar could get in with a bat.  Even asking the neighbor to watch the house, there’s no way to watch it 24/7.

I could have installed a security system, but cut the phone line and wear a mask and it does no good.  Even if it alerted the police, I could expect 20-30 minutes for any units to arrive…if not more.  So, I didn’t spend for one.  Heck, my dad obtained security service decals and put them on the hose AS IF we had security service.  A bluff, but the goal was to persuade a burglar to go elsewhere rather than waste time on our house.

Many helmet lock systems basically just provide a locked hook for the chin strap.  What typically happens?  A numb nut just cuts the strap and takes the helmet.  Only a thief who wants an intact helmet won’t do that.

2 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

Yes, it is.  That’s why if I’m going to spend money on a security measure, I wan’t to know to what degree it protects.

When I went to Germany, doors and windows were locked.  Dogs were with my sister.  I put padlocks on the garage door rails so one could not open them from the outside.  With all the large windows on the house, a burglar could get in with a bat.  Even asking the neighbor to watch the house, there’s no way to watch it 24/7.

I could have installed a security system, but cut the phone line and wear a mask and it does no good.  Even if it alerted the police, I could expect 20-30 minutes for any units to arrive…if not more.  So, I didn’t spend for one.  Heck, my dad obtained security service decals and put them on the hose AS IF we had security service.  A bluff, but the goal was to persuade a burglar to go elsewhere rather than waste time on our house.

Many helmet lock systems basically just provide a locked hook for the chin strap.  What typically happens?  A numb nut just cuts the strap and takes the helmet.  Only a thief who wants an intact helmet won’t do that.

Fearful someone would steal all your valuable belongings?  Like the 1983 Mazda or the 2001 Prius?

4 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

Even asking the neighbor to watch the house, there’s no way to watch it 24/7.

The thief would need to know and be prepared and willing to wear a mask and cut the line.  Cops will take a while, unless there's a unit in the area.  The neighbor can't watch it 24/7, but a siren going off would let him know to take a peek.  A blaring siren helps persuade the burglar to go elsewhere.  You presented reasons for not getting it while presenting obvious reasons why it would help.

Locking the doors was pointless since most of them can be kicked open faster than you can open it with your key.  A house door can be effectively hardened for a few pennies, yet very few people do it.

4 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

That’s why if I’m going to spend money on a security measure, I wan’t to know to what degree it protects.

Nearly impossible.  And no matter how secure it seems, someone's got the tools to defeat it.  I entered a customer's "certified secure facility" without damage and faster than their own people can get in.  Then opened and started their armored truck about as fast as you can with a key, also without damage.

The padlock on the garage added minimal security, but you did it anyway.  Taking the key out of of your Mazda's ignition and locking the doors offers minimal security, yet you do it.  An alarm system would add way more security than the locks, but you probably don't have one because it's as useless as a home security system.

1 hour ago, DaveK said:

Do you actually know anyone who's had this happen?  I recall hearing about it in the 90's, but not since.  Seems rather pointless to steal an unusable helmet, unless it has a valuable comm system.

It's hard to imagine that people exist who need to be told this, but...  This serves to keep a random crackhead, crazy person, or fuckwit from simply grabbing the pile of gear and walking off, because they have nothing to lose and maybe something to gain.  That's it.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, superhawk996 said:

Do you actually know anyone who's had this happen?  I recall hearing about it in the 90's, but not since.  Seems rather pointless to steal an unusable helmet, unless it has a valuable comm system.

I didn't say it... Zero did.