CBR1100XX.org Forum

Zero turn lawn mower suggestions.

Zero Knievel

This winter, mom and I will consider getting a zero turn riding mower and let go of the yard service.  Please suggest brands and models.  Affordable, reliable, easy to service DIY are top priorities.  I will not consider John Deere because of the issues they’ve had.  Our last JD was reliable, but if it had an issue, repair work from a JD dealer was a pain.  Not opposed to buying used if it’s clean and well-kept.

45 minutes ago, DaveK said:

You should definitely get rid of the service and get an incredibly expensive zero turn. 

It will give you years of things to complain about. 

I’m excited. 

Dave, at $300 a month, we’d already have paid off a new one by now based on the prices I’m seeing.

59 minutes ago, Biometrix said:

Since local service seems to be one of your main concerns, maybe see what dealers in your area are convenient and have high satisfaction ratings first and then focus in on a brand/model that they carry?

I don’t need local service.  John Deere is off the list because of the proprietary BS they’ve been doing to frustrate DIY repair and maintenance.  Most brands don’t do that, but most don’t have franchise dealerships struggling to stay in business.  So long as 80% of regular maintenance or repairs is DIY, that’s good enough.  I want to avoid models with expensive repairs or replacements even in spite of being well-maintained.

23 minutes ago, Zero Knievel said:

Dave, at $300 a month, we’d already have paid off a new one by now based on the prices I’m seeing.

Funny how you think $300/month to service your entire property is going to get accomplished by buying a “mower.” 

No offense, Dave, but your standard of living vs mine and Zero's is in two completely different worlds.  I can quite literally buy a used riding lawnmower for $300 and it will last 20 years with blades/belts/oil changes because I can keep it inside.  I understand that's not how you live, and that's OK.

To your question, Zero, the next mower I buy will be a ZTR and it will be electric because I have converted everything else in yard tools to electric.  I have yet to have to replace a battery, even on the push mower which I believe is on year 7.  I agree with you on John Deere and their proprietary BS being their downfall, especially when it comes to farm equipment, but was unaware of any of that bleeding into lawn tractors.  Regardless, my decisions are based on ethanol content, limited availability of "pure gas", and carb degradation due to this which are all known and ongoing issues.  With the constant push to eliminate fossil fuels, it will only continue to be a persistent and ever-growing problem.  Also, electric mowers are direct drive with no belts, no oil, and virtually no maintenance, and since I have plenty of room to keep it out of the weather and away from animals causing destruction, the only thing I have to keep safe are the batteries.  My mom just killed her first two batteries which were for her weed eater, which she uses every 3 days, and they've lasted 10 years because they stay inside the house (we do yard work 9-10 months out of the year down here and she keeps the yard IMPECCABLE.)  That is her break time now taking care of dad, and that is what they did as their outside time after they retired.

2 minutes ago, Furbird said:

No offense, Dave, but your standard of living vs mine and Zero's is in two completely different worlds.  I can quite literally buy a used riding lawnmower for $300 and it will last 20 years with blades/belts/oil changes because I can keep it inside.  I understand that's not how you live, and that's OK.

No offense taken Fur... at all.  My only point was really to say "are you thinking a $300/month lawn service can be replaced with a "mower."  A 6 person, 4 person, 3 person team that shows up and services a house can't be compared to a single person with a "mower" regardless of time or expense. 

If I get rid of my Housekeeping company (4 ladies - 1 hour) would take my wife 6 hours and cost of chemicals.    

I only spend $100/mo for my Mexican, so maybe it's a different cost bracket, but I simply can't make the plants look as good as he does.  And he offers advice/manages the irrigation so I'm neither wasting water or killing plants, both of which definitely have a cost.  But I can't put myself mentally in a place where mowing and cutting down jungle is part of normal life.  We just need the plants shaped and shit picked up.

5 hours ago, DaveK said:

No offense taken Fur... at all.  My only point was really to say "are you thinking a $300/month lawn service can be replaced with a "mower."  A 6 person, 4 person, 3 person team that shows up and services a house can't be compared to a single person with a "mower" regardless of time or expense. 

If I get rid of my Housekeeping company (4 ladies - 1 hour) would take my wife 6 hours and cost of chemicals.

Okay, we’re paying for one, maybe two if his son comes along.  So, no they aren’t doing anything I can’t do myself in about the same time.  All they are saving me is time and dealing with allergies, BUT the cost is not going to be sustainable if I have to pay 100% myself.  More so, only around the house needs mowing every 2 weeks.  Everywhere else can go a month or later, but if they come out here, they do all of it.  If they did less work, they’d not discount the price because were paying for the distance they have to come.

Same with the house cleaners.  I could do all of it myself, but mom would rather hire ladies to come in once a month, but they never really clean as well as she’d do on her own.

4 hours ago, SwampNut said:

I only spend $100/mo for my Mexican, so maybe it's a different cost bracket, but I simply can't make the plants look as good as he does. 

You’re also essentially “in town.”  He can probably hit your house and 2-3 others in one day.

I kinda figured Zero was in a situation like me, but mine is even less work.  I have zero plants, hedges, bushes, flowers, anything.  If it's in the yard, it gets mowed over.  Plants, weeds, cats, kids, Jehovah's Witnesses, EVERYTHING.  If I had my way the entire yard would be Astroturf and 10 fucking Roombas running 24/7 but we have too much rain 🤣

Meanwhile Mom and Dad over there aiming for a picture in Southern Living.  I honestly wonder how many people come by checking on dad just to ask "Hey, what kind of flowers are those you put out there this year?"

21 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

Assuming it needed no maintenance/repairs and that you didn't roll it down the hill.

• Haha 1

Neighbor got a new zero turn Kubota, 300 hours and it has a dropped valve, one month out of warranty. 6K with a dead engine.

I got a zero turn Toro free because the solenoid failed, no other problems yet. Surprising how much faster it is to mow with than the Sears tractor I was using.

6 hours ago, OMG said:

Neighbor got a new zero turn Kubota, 300 hours and it has a dropped valve, one month out of warranty. 6K with a dead engine.

I got a zero turn Toro free because the solenoid failed, no other problems yet. Surprising how much faster it is to mow with than the Sears tractor I was using.

Mike lives for problems so that’s the best thing that could happen to him. 

1 hour ago, blackhawkxx said:

Admit it, you just want a mower named after you.  😀

Well, I do have an extra decal I could put on it.

Incidentally, this is what I have my eye on.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Cub-Cadet-Ultima-42-in-22-HP-V-Twin-Kohler-7000-Engine-Dual-Hydrostatic-Drive-Gas-Zero-Turn-Riding-Lawn-Mower-ZT1-42/318303310

IMG_0699.thumb.jpeg.bfef9a294afe8cf2ba6268fb614ebbe3.jpeg

This model was rated a 2023 best budget model.  I debated having a wider cutting deck, but the next size up (deck alone) means the overall width would make it problematic storing in the garage.

Nice rig! Do they make a roll-cage you can add? I think that's the same engine I have on my Cub Cadet lawn tractor. Is it fuel injected or carbureted? Anyhow I'm pleased with my 3 year old Cub...seems to be the predominant brand in my neighborhood but no Zero-turns, only tractors.  

I immediately leaned towards no because of that stamped steel deck, but because you are keeping it in the garage that does make a massive difference in longevity.  My John Deere was bought from the original owner, has been kept inside it's entire life, and still has rust in the stamped steel deck.  Not from me owning it as I use a blower or a shop vac to clean it off, but just from wear and because they are inferior compared to the more modern ones built with thicker metal and fabricated (read: more expensive).

Good to know.  Honestly, IF the lawn guy would be content to only come once a month, I might justify the cost.  Problem is that mom wants the yard to look “nice.”  I just want to keep the grass from growing unchecked.  When she dies, all the plants needing maintenance are gone because I have neither the time, inclination or skill to do the needed gardening to keep them healthy.

12 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

Honestly, IF the lawn guy would be content to only come once a month,

I don't know about your area but here in the spring mowing the grass once a month you would be baling it like hay.  Sometimes it could use twice a week unless you are bagging so the clippings isn't laying thick and compounds the following week. 

Edit to ad:  Mowing the grass on a tractor (or zero turn) can be really relaxing. Some listen to music, the neighbor has a mounted cooler and drinks beer, I just use ear plugs and be off in another world enjoying the fresh grass smell. 

Edited by blackhawkxx