CBR1100XX.org Forum

Trailering and tying down bikes

Zero Knievel

6 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

I don’t get why Carlos is being an asshole about how the manufacturer made this choice as if it’s a bad idea.

The metal rings aren't a bad idea for the straps, but they're often a bad idea for use with a bike.

If he can’t understand how scissors and knifes work, then no amount of explanation will get him to grasp why the manufacturer went with this choice.

One of you has issues with strapping his bike, one does not; one of you understands how things work.  I've never seen or heard of a hook cutting through a soft strap and have never been worried about it happening.  The hooks on one set of straps you showed had hard edges which isn't ideal for a soft loop, but even those would be very unlikely to cut them.

7 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

I don’t get why Carlos is being an asshole about how the manufacturer made this choice as if it’s a bad idea.

Nothing asshole about it.  Facts are what they are, and don't care about your feelings.  They are either stupid or lying.  Well, could be both.  The hook has a far larger surface area than the little D-rings on those straps.  Physics 101.

Posted (edited)
On 3/30/2024 at 8:53 AM, superhawk996 said:

White LEDs have problems with red lenses, shoulda bought red LEDs.  It'll take a shitload more lumens to equal the brightness of the stock bulbs and the color won't be a proper red.  The ideal solution is to buy LED taillamp assemblies, they're way better because the LEDs are aimed where they need to be so you get much better illumination with a lot less power.  While power consumption might seem to be a non-issue, low power lights make up for the shitty connections that often occur with trailers.  They also play better with turn signal flasher units that don't like additional loads.

On 3/30/2024 at 12:38 PM, SwampNut said:

You need red LEDs.

Tried the LED bulbs.  I couldn’t use the white ones because the fit was loose…and yes, I double checked how they installed.  So the low beam didn’t come on.  The red ones worked (proper fit) but…

IMG_7516.jpeg.77d02556abc7e505fc68ca4b00eb56d9.jpeg

As you see, it bathes the license plate in red light.  Technically illegal, but in Virginia it is not justification to be pulled over.  Can’t say that’s not so in other states nor can that prevent being pulled over for another reason and then be cited for it.

So, either I go with white or replace the assemblies with LED ones that will provide white light on the license plate.

….

Well, seek and ye shall find….$17….

https://www.amazon.com/iBrightstar-Submersible-Trailer-License-Snowmobile/dp/B07FTJ59L1/ref=sr_1_24?crid=2NY6IL6DE9VUD&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.W65Wb-O04ZEKd_HE8zxgianQaRV0VdxGTrRjpIbLQ5ijvJZACTmKvK2UzZ9nLPefHr4RvuqgEfGrlJG8fXKqpO5xuQCpdnPhkxnGOkEI28IvgVEVwk0Jn-FoEhP2ie-pREh7cG_ggd3plMTdHTWHSkQvuFHLBD0iq68Ks7m2iuIbSjHL-Bj6hwjTjaJf-f8D97GMfYhnpS2e_Cp9XXyunjXkQAgB6oOJXYWc0TZwg-wEtvpXdJrq4QdoCYl4ss7L_Zv7VxC9-4uXvBuoDVr4OKZiCYvzC5xIkb7dZOa-oa0.3khcsKK3I0GBrD9rmeYufthl0-7tNYCWlcKrX4PoaBw&dib_tag=se&keywords=led%2Btrailer%2Blight%2Bkit&qid=1712398314&sprefix=LED%2Btrailer%2B%2Caps%2C1822&sr=8-24&th=1

IMG_0037.jpeg.2902b265d3d2b10be75b08dd7d168079.jpeg

Edited by Zero Knievel

Well hell, it's a bummer that nobody predicted these problems and that they didn't suggest the solution before you went through the trouble of trying to do it your way.

4 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

As you see, it bathes the license plate in red light.  Technically illegal, but in Virginia it is not justification to be pulled over.

I find it extraordinarily hard to believe that Virginia cops can't stop someone for an equipment violation.

46 minutes ago, superhawk996 said:

Well hell, it's a bummer that nobody predicted these problems and that they didn't suggest the solution before you went through the trouble of trying to do it your way.

Admittedly, I wish I had looked at full assemblies when looking at bulbs.  For the slight increase in price, it’s a better option.

46 minutes ago, superhawk996 said:

I find it extraordinarily hard to believe that Virginia cops can't stop someone for an equipment violation.

The law specifically imposes that on trailers.  I suppose because being able to read the tag on a trailer isn’t as important as the tag on the vehicle.

4 minutes ago, Zero Knievel said:

The law specifically imposes that on trailers.  I suppose because being able to read the tag on a trailer isn’t as important as the tag on the vehicle.

So the law requires proper plate lighting, but also states that it's unenforceable?  What other trailer requirements fall into this non-enforcement thing?  And is this actually written law, or just something you've heard or assume that a cop would ignore?

I've pretty well proven that CA cops don't care about trailer license plates at all, I've done thousands of miles without one on any of my trailers.  But I won't tow one that's actually unregistered because it would be my luck that that's when I'll find the no-leniency cop that cites me and impounds my trailer.

Some states do have weird primary offense laws.  For a long time, in AZ, you supposedly couldn't be stopped for not wearing a seat belt.  You could be cited for it if stopped for another reason.  Luckily, police would never make up a reason to stop you on some other pretext.

License plate lights are a huge thing for AZ, don't know why, and I think you can face the death penalty at roadside for it.  Serious business.

2 hours ago, SwampNut said:

Some states do have weird primary offense laws.  For a long time, in AZ, you supposedly couldn't be stopped for not wearing a seat belt.  You could be cited for it if stopped for another reason.  Luckily, police would never make up a reason to stop you on some other pretext.

Same in Pa about seat belts or at least was but anyone is crazy to think they can't come up with a reason to pull you over.

3 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

So the law requires proper plate lighting, but also states that it's unenforceable?  What other trailer requirements fall into this non-enforcement thing?  And is this actually written law, or just something you've heard or assume that a cop would ignore?

I've pretty well proven that CA cops don't care about trailer license plates at all, I've done thousands of miles without one on any of my trailers.  But I won't tow one that's actually unregistered because it would be my luck that that's when I'll find the no-leniency cop that cites me and impounds my trailer.

You can always claim trailer is from Wisconsin. Title and plates are optional in the land of cheese.

5 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

It is enforceable, but police officers are not allowed to pull you over if that is their sole reason. Lack of a license plate light is not sufficient probable cause to initiate a traffic stop.  This, of course, means that if they pull you over for another reason, they can then sight you for the trailer plate not being properly illuminated.

Yes…this is specifically in the Code of Virginia.

50 minutes ago, Zero Knievel said:

It is enforceable, but police officers are not allowed to pull you over if that is their sole reason.

You

Are 

Delusional 

12 minutes ago, DaveK said:

You

Are 

Delusional 

Nah, he's not.  "Primary offense" is definitely a thing.

How Are Primary and Second Violations Different?

Before we get into the specifics of which traffic offenses are primary and which are secondary, let's take a look at why the distinction matters.

In short, a primary—but not a secondary—violation gives police authority to stop a vehicle.

The purpose of the primary and secondary labels relates to an officer's authority to investigate each type of violation. In order for a police officer to lawfully initiate a traffic stop of a moving vehicle, the officer generally must have reasonable suspicion to believe the driver has violated the law in some way.

However, not all violations give police authority to stop a vehicle. For violations that are categorized as primary offenses, the officer can initiate a traffic stop based solely on that violation. But a secondary offense, on the other hand, doesn't authorize police to stop a vehicle. Basically, some states have decided that secondary offenses are so minor that they don't warrant the temporary detention that results from a traffic stop. 

Secondary violations can only be investigated and charged if the driver was already stopped for a separate primary traffic violation. For example, an officer can issue a seatbelt ticket (which is usually a secondary violation) to a driver stopped for unlawful speeding (typically, a primary violation). But the officer can't stop a driver and issue a seatbelt citation if the driver committed no other traffic violations that are categorized as a primary offense.

Virginia law:

No law-enforcement officer shall stop a motor vehicle for a violation of this subsection. No evidence discovered or obtained as the result of a stop in violation of this subsection, including evidence discovered or obtained with the operator's consent, shall be admissible in any trial, hearing, or other proceeding.

7 minutes ago, SwampNut said:

Nah, he's not.  "Primary offense" is definitely a thing.

How Are Primary and Second Violations Different?

Before we get into the specifics of which traffic offenses are primary and which are secondary, let's take a look at why the distinction matters.

In short, a primary—but not a secondary—violation gives police authority to stop a vehicle.

The purpose of the primary and secondary labels relates to an officer's authority to investigate each type of violation. In order for a police officer to lawfully initiate a traffic stop of a moving vehicle, the officer generally must have reasonable suspicion to believe the driver has violated the law in some way.

However, not all violations give police authority to stop a vehicle. For violations that are categorized as primary offenses, the officer can initiate a traffic stop based solely on that violation. But a secondary offense, on the other hand, doesn't authorize police to stop a vehicle. Basically, some states have decided that secondary offenses are so minor that they don't warrant the temporary detention that results from a traffic stop. 

Secondary violations can only be investigated and charged if the driver was already stopped for a separate primary traffic violation. For example, an officer can issue a seatbelt ticket (which is usually a secondary violation) to a driver stopped for unlawful speeding (typically, a primary violation). But the officer can't stop a driver and issue a seatbelt citation if the driver committed no other traffic violations that are categorized as a primary offense.

Virginia law:

No law-enforcement officer shall stop a motor vehicle for a violation of this subsection. No evidence discovered or obtained as the result of a stop in violation of this subsection, including evidence discovered or obtained with the operator's consent, shall be admissible in any trial, hearing, or other proceeding.

Being a thing and cops doing whatever they want are 2 different things. 

The police would never violate the law.  It's right there, law *enforcement."  They'd have to arrest themselves, and resist, and taze themselves, but then how would they escalate and murder themselves?  Can't happen.  Comply or die indeed.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

anyone is crazy to think they aren't doing something that isn't a valid can't come up with a reason to pull you over.

14 minutes ago, IcePrick said:

anyone is crazy to think they aren't doing something that isn't a valid can't come up with a reason to pull you over.

I've heard many cops say that if they can't find a violation on someone that they're not trying, luckily they usually only try when they've already profiled someone as looking like a criminal.  Our local LEOs give almost no fucks about traffic infractions.  On the rare occasion that I see them on a traffic stop it's never a 'normal' stop...occupants out, car search, handcuffs, etc.  The occupants are always a darker shade of brown than I, except for the occasional crackhead looking white ones.

Damn - don't move to Prescott, you will definitely be among the darker shades here.  

As for the "looking like a criminal" part, I think few of us can claim never breaking some sort of law at one time or another.  Which reminds me, I gotta try to stay out of the sun this summer. 

*edit* And fook, make sure I keep my front teeth.

Edited by IcePrick

24 minutes ago, IcePrick said:

*edit* And fook, make sure I keep my front teeth.

I no longer smile at cops, just a friendly wave.

Oh, damn.  I wish he'd have called me, I drive by his street at least 3 days a week.  Now that Jeff is working at that repair shop, he should take it there for stuff that's beyond my experience level.  Other than mounting and balancing a tire (not worth the effort), I would have done all of that for a couple beers and the cost of parts.

Those Impalas are actually pretty decent cars, I had one as a unit and I liked it.

That's only an estimate, I sent him towards Jeff or just doing it himself.  And battery at Walmart.  The plate light how-to video is under two minutes, and twice as long as the job actually takes.  Fuckers.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, IcePrick said:

Oh, damn.  I wish he'd have called me, I drive by his street at least 3 days a week.  Now that Jeff is working at that repair shop, he should take it there for stuff that's beyond my experience level.  Other than mounting and balancing a tire (not worth the effort), I would have done all of that for a couple beers and the cost of parts.

Those Impalas are actually pretty decent cars, I had one as a unit and I liked it.

Carlos and I texted about it and I almost suggested asking you about helping them.  And I suggested telling them about Jeff's shop.  I have no idea how they are, but figured that they probably wouldn't bone family.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

As you see, it bathes the license plate in red light.  Technically illegal, but in Virginia it is not justification to be pulled over.  Can’t say that’s not so in other states nor can that prevent being pulled over for another reason and then be cited for it.

9 hours ago, DaveK said:

Being a thing and cops doing whatever they want are 2 different things. 

If you paid attention to what I wrote, I made it clear that it didn’t prevent being pulled over for another reason and then being cited for it.  A cop doesn’t need a reason to pull you over…just a convincing lie the judge will believe.

just a convincing lie the judge will believe.

Not even that.  Just a convincing lie that the co-conspirator whore in a black robe can defend to the people pretending to oversee him.