CBR1100XX.org Forum

Trailering and tying down bikes

Zero Knievel

22 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

If you know how an eye-bolt is shaped, to not compromise the bolt as a securing point for the fender, I'd want a locking nut on the inside (towards wheel) and one at the "top" so I can properly tighten it down.  The existing bolt inserts from the wheel side.  An eye-bolt would have to insert from the trailer side.

I don't know anything about eye bolts, or any hardware for that matter.  Tell me more about how these strange threaded fasteners work.  Make sure you detail the differences between the different types of eye bolts, especially the forged type where you a normal person would not use a nut on both sides.

22 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:
On 9/26/2023 at 2:57 AM, tomek said:

shopping.jpeg

What will you use to create space for the bulge where the loop is held, or will you just crush it down with the bolt?  Have you calculated how much bending force the off-center pull point will put on the bolt and figured out what grade bolt will be required?  Will you be installing it with the bike and strap in place so that you know it won't rotate under load, or install it in a willy-nilly position so you can come back to bitch about it after your tire strap falls off on the highway?

Edited by superhawk996

6 minutes ago, superhawk996 said:

I don't know anything about eye bolts, or any hardware for that matter.  Tell me more about how these strange threaded fasteners work.  Make sure you detail the differences between the different types of eye bolts, especially the forged type where you a normal person would not use a nut on both sides.

This is what a "typical" eye-bolt looks like.  It think it's self-explanatory why I would need two nuts to install it.

bolt.thumb.jpg.9435053b2c6482bd5593a27eccc30696.jpg

6 minutes ago, superhawk996 said:

What will you use to create space for the bulge where the loop is held, or will you just crush it down with the bolt?

Other photos from Amazon indicate it's flat.  Might be an optical illusion from the lighting used in the photo.

2 hours ago, tomek said:

I'm shocked, stunned and in state of total disbelief. 

Zero has actually listened to what I suggested.

Hey, even a broken clock is right twice a day.  You should feel proud. :) 

• Haha 1

Well.  I’m disappointed.  The idea “works” on one side, but not the other.  I might have to consider installing a special anchor point on the step rail to ensure the straps clear.  Otherwise, all I can do is slide old socks over the strap to act as a buffer.

IMG_7361.jpeg.2ae53b0e3509835e5a7ece594d14b354.jpeg

IMG_7363.jpeg.b097b5ef6b81df5146cda8c2c949d17d.jpeg

2 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

Well.  I’m disappointed.  The idea “works” on one side, but not the other.  I might have to consider installing a special anchor point on the step rail to ensure the straps clear.  Otherwise, all I can do is slide old socks over the strap to act as a buffer.

IMG_7361.jpeg.2ae53b0e3509835e5a7ece594d14b354.jpeg

IMG_7363.jpeg.b097b5ef6b81df5146cda8c2c949d17d.jpeg

Drill hole as marked and and attach one of anchors there. Use oversized washed on the bottom so it won't get pulled out. Problem solved. 

IMG_7345.jpeg.d2b140c17703635bdb07b64d048f4311~2.jpeg

Edited by tomek

1 hour ago, Zero Knievel said:

That’s my thought.  Clearly they designed this thing for bikes with low pipes or high pipes.  Middle placement screws with your straps.

Nobody "designed" that thing. It is random collection of parts done by people who never trailered motorcycle. 

Placing eyebolt on walk board is stupid. You gonna trip over it and remove all your teeth via wheel chuck. Don't do it.

Also anchoring point point should be in approximately same place as the other side or axle. Or tire bra will be crooked, and people driving behind you will laugh hysterically, loose control of their vehicle and potentially die.

I forget if your trailer is a stinger (they don't have any suspension YUCK) if it isn then sell it and get a real trailer. I've done this on a couple of bikes with absolutely zero problems. 
I've towed my bike to and from Gaspe about 1200 miles round trip on some very twisty and bumpy roads. 

2 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

Was the original tie down point a problem with the muffler?  I thought the only problem was the drive side.

Likely not, but I wasn't using the strap for the rear tire but attaching to the frame (as BMW indicates but wasn't working well here).  I need to experement to find the optimal anchor points.

3 hours ago, tomek said:

Nobody "designed" that thing. It is random collection of parts done by people who never trailered motorcycle. 

I'm starting to agree.  Yeah, they do have "custom make" as an option...if you want to spend about $5,800 for one new.  I got mine for under $1,000...including tax/registration and likely gas to/from.  If I had that kind of cash to throw around, I'd get a fucking enclosed trailer.

3 hours ago, tomek said:

Placing eyebolt on walk board is stupid. You gonna trip over it and remove all your teeth via wheel chuck. Don't do it.

If I haven't done it with my underwear yet, I'm not worried about the trailer.

3 hours ago, tomek said:

Also anchoring point point should be in approximately same place as the other side or axle. Or tire bra will be crooked, and people driving behind you will laugh hysterically, loose control of their vehicle and potentially die.

The psychopath part of me approves.

Honestly, there's a lesson to learn here about carefully examining photos of a product before buying.  If you go to their website, most every bike they show on the trailer (newer version to mine) are "traditional" motorcycles.  No sport bikes.  The closest is a KTM, and it is similar to my RS save for my single-sided swingarm.  However, examine the photo carefully.  What's missing?  TIE DOWNS.  They just put it on the trailer and took photos.  Maybe they knew the trailer wouldn't work well for certain configurations?

KTM.thumb.jpg.4cb8e989653f355ae167572b069e4f28.jpg

I bought some eye bolts at Lowes, but decided to double check at Home Depot.

I got 4 of these and some lock nuts.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-3-8-in-x-4-in-Stainless-Steel-Eye-Bolt-Nut-813666/314746012

These are rated for 350 pounds.

The "best" I found at Lowes were only rated for 160 pounds.

4 hours ago, tomek said:

Meant to say "plane" not "place". 

If you place eyebolt in place of existing bolt like swamp the bra will be all twisted. Basic geometry. 

1 hour ago, Zero Knievel said:

I got 4 of these and some lock nuts.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-3-8-in-x-4-in-Stainless-Steel-Eye-Bolt-Nut-813666/314746012

These are rated for 350 pounds.

The "best" I found at Lowes were only rated for 160 pounds.

Oscar even gave you pictures.  I repeated it.  Sigh.  Those are very light duty, and 350 is an optimistic STATIC rating.  See how the strength only comes from the material (open loop) instead of the material and a circle (closed loop)?  You could also use these, and I'll mail you a couple of you want.  I'll never use them, since well, the ultra-nice U-Haul moto trailer is only $15/day.

584CB8CA-6426-42A2-AE09-0F3210E7B71F_1_102_o.jpeg

4E87E4FA-B1D5-46BE-82BF-BA6523F865E0_1_102_o.jpeg

• Useful/Thanks! 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SwampNut said:

Oscar even gave you pictures.  I repeated it.  Sigh.  Those are very light duty, and 350 is an optimistic STATIC rating.  See how the strength only comes from the material (open loop) instead of the material and a circle (closed loop)?  You could also use these, and I'll mail you a couple of you want.  I'll never use them, since well, the ultra-nice U-Haul moto trailer is only $15/day.

Okay.  I'll PM my address.  Do not show up with a 6-pack of beer and a thong.