CBR1100XX.org Forum

Trailering and tying down bikes

Zero Knievel

3 hours ago, SwampNut said:

Went to shit today, but fuck it.  

Driving home, it pretty much rained from when I entered Virginia to when I reached my home county.  No issues with the trailer, but the new straps are already showing signs of damage.  I’ll try to research for better quality straps.  I’ll also post up on the RS board to see if anyone has similar experiences.  That it held all day was nice, but if I’d have to buy new straps after a day or two of use, the trailer I have won’t be a viable option.

Hopefully Steve and Phillip had good weather going into West Virginia.

9 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

Are they rubbing on something?

Yeah.  It's an inherent flaw of the trailer.  Rear anchor points are too close and on the trailer axle.  Straps need to have minimal to no contact with each other or hard points on the item being secured because that's where friction can compromise them.  My first failures going to PA was from the ratchet rubbing against the other strap which had a hard point behind it.  Coming home, the damage is minimal, but just the shaking of the bike started to do damage.  There's also blemishes in the paint where the straps were applied.  Never had this issue with the truck, but the anchor points are higher and farther out...ensuring the straps are going away from the bike, not along it.  I'll edit with photos to illustrate.

Still, other than the migraine/allergy issues on Saturday, it was good to see everyone. 🤧

First failed strap…

IMG_7329.jpeg.46c389b033eff0de71658e342d1efe77.jpeg

Friction wear from ratchet portion of straps.

IMG_7330.jpeg.d44d1ccdc98510ae2af61bd2df3e416e.jpeg

IMG_7331.jpeg.3f43f5f536ed02a70126fea75645a33e.jpeg

Method used for the trip home…which more or less worked.

IMG_7335.jpeg.55c78a47c46c3fcd068e25a5e93d104c.jpeg

IMG_7334.jpeg.8ffc33f05f44fe1b26ea85cc4fa7e5b6.jpeg

Anchor location (rear)…

IMG_7337.jpeg.7e60c7397fba1a211223a7b8a1cdba66.jpeg

The silver-colored mounts for the rear foot pegs are the correct anchor points for rear straps per BMW.  Never had an issue with a truck or trailer, so the problem is having the anchors too close to the bike and directly (more or less) below the bike’s anchor points.  Straps should flow away from the bike and not need to run along it.

FWIW, I added the thick, white zip ties to ensure the hooks couldn’t come loos should slack develop, and they held fine.  Something I’ll remember for the future.

Edited by Zero Knievel

2 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

Yeah.  It's an inherent flaw of the trailer.  Rear anchor points are too close and on the trailer axle.  Straps need to have minimal to no contact with each other or hard points on the item being secured because that's where friction can compromise them.  My first failures going to PA was from the ratchet rubbing against the other strap which had a hard point behind it.  Coming home, the damage is minimal, but just the shaking of the bike started to do damage.  There's also blemishes in the paint where the straps were applied.  Never had this issue with the truck, but the anchor points are higher and farther out...ensuring the straps are going away from the bike, not along it.  I'll edit with photos to illustrate.

Still, other than the migraine/allergy issues on Saturday, it was good to see everyone. 🤧

First failed strap…

IMG_7329.jpeg.46c389b033eff0de71658e342d1efe77.jpeg

Friction wear from ratchet portion of straps.

IMG_7330.jpeg.d44d1ccdc98510ae2af61bd2df3e416e.jpeg

IMG_7331.jpeg.3f43f5f536ed02a70126fea75645a33e.jpeg

Method used for the trip home…which more or less worked.

IMG_7335.jpeg.55c78a47c46c3fcd068e25a5e93d104c.jpeg

IMG_7334.jpeg.8ffc33f05f44fe1b26ea85cc4fa7e5b6.jpeg

Anchor location (rear)…

IMG_7337.jpeg.7e60c7397fba1a211223a7b8a1cdba66.jpeg

The silver-colored mounts for the rear foot pegs are the correct anchor points for rear straps per BMW.  Never had an issue with a truck or trailer, so the problem is having the anchors too close to the bike and directly (more or less) below the bike’s anchor points.  Straps should flow away from the bike and not need to run along it.

FWIW, I added the thick, white zip ties to ensure the hooks couldn’t come loos should slack develop, and they held fine.  Something I’ll remember for the future.

I need head steering damper. Your strap job could not possibly be more retarded. Totally wrong, but we've already told you that once before. Or maybe 100 times. 

Since you don't listen to anyone who actually has a clue my only suggestion is to keep buying straps. And take plenty of them with you when towing, because you are gonna keep replacing those straps.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, tomek said:

I need head steering damper. Your strap job could not possibly be more retarded. Totally wrong, but we've already told you that once before. Or maybe 100 times. 

Since you don't listen to anyone who actually has a clue my only suggestion is to keep buying straps. And take plenty of them with you when towing, because you are gonna keep replacing those straps.

Explain, please.  I did the original strapping PER BMW's INSTRUCTIONS.  Those straps were compromised because they rubbed against the bike too much.  The setup I went with was intended to minimize friction, and it worked enough to get me home.

The trailer manufacturer actually has a video showing how to do it...except they hook rear straps to the opposing side shock absorber (double-sided swing arm) with the strap going over the tire...as if that can't slip during transport.  In photos, they attached to the fucking exhaust pipe.

Then again, some people trust those tension grip tie downs...even with heavy loads.

4 minutes ago, Zero Knievel said:

Explain, please.  I did the original strapping PER BMW's INSTRUCTIONS.  Those straps were compromised because they rubbed against the bike too much.  The setup I went with was intended to minimize friction, and it worked enough to get me home.

The trailer manufacturer actually has a video showing how to do it...except they hook rear straps to the opposing side shock absorber (double-sided swing arm) with the strap going over the tire...as if that can't slip during transport.  In photos, they attached to the fucking exhaust pipe.

Then again, some people trust those tension grip tie downs...even with heavy loads.

It has been explained to you. You went in totally opposite direction, did not listen, it is even more retarded now vs. last time although I did not think it was even possible. You have talent.

I'm not gonna waste my energy on what is definitely futile effort. 

Find my previous post on this particular subject.

Most people fail in basic physics, you are in that group, and would do yourself huge favor by listening to me.

Mike, you OK with me moving the trailering-specific posts here to a new garage thread?  Could be a good single place for info, and keep this one cleaner.  Also I have some straps I really love and have survived more than 1k miles so far with no wear, but I need to get my hands on them to see brand.  I barely have a vague idea, bought them years ago.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SwampNut said:

Mike, you OK with me moving the trailering-specific posts here to a new garage thread?  Could be a good single place for info, and keep this one cleaner.  Also I have some straps I really love and have survived more than 1k miles so far with no wear, but I need to get my hands on them to see brand.  I barely have a vague idea, bought them years ago.

Sure.  Go ahead.

I managed to strap down 2 bikes in the back of a 5.5' pickup bed, drive across 5 states all without a single mark on either the strap or the bikes. Maybe BMW doesn't know everything 🤔 

4 minutes ago, Peepa said:

I managed to strap down 2 bikes in the back of a 5.5' pickup bed, drive across 5 states all without a single mark on either the strap or the bikes. Maybe BMW doesn't know everything 🤔 

True.  However, the problem is now fixed. :)

Checking some stuff for the BMW forums, I wondered if the front chock could go tighter (I was told it was set for 16" when I bought it).  I made it two notches tighter, and now it holds the bike steady when I let go.

The BMW crowd also put me on to THIS, which will work nicely. 🤘  There was one that runs through the hole in the rear wheel, but it MUST be exactly over the anchor points...which wouldn't work on this trailer.

rearstrap.jpg.e84e6b9d50582fccb4f9cefd4bf991b3.jpg

51 minutes ago, Zero Knievel said:

The BMW crowd also put me on to THIS, which will work nicely. 🤘  

Nope. Idiots who don't understand basic physics at work. Much effort to make this device but epic fail. 

It won't prevent back of the bike from

- moving sideways

- falling on the side if something goes wrong with front straps. 

I'm always amazed by by idiotic overthinking/overengineering that fails in biblical way when simple solution is easily available. 

Simple solution is to run strap looped around top of the rear wheel. 

5 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

True.  However, the problem is now fixed. :)

Checking some stuff for the BMW forums, I wondered if the front chock could go tighter (I was told it was set for 16" when I bought it).  I made it two notches tighter, and now it holds the bike steady when I let go.

The BMW crowd also put me on to THIS, which will work nicely. 🤘  There was one that runs through the hole in the rear wheel, but it MUST be exactly over the anchor points...which wouldn't work on this trailer.

When I picked up the Zero, they tied it down for me.  We talked about it a bit, as they ship bikes all the time and were strongly suggesting that I only tie to the front bars via a Canyon Dancer, nowhere else.  (Or any front tie down point, but there are none on that bike without risk of rubbing.). They said that tie-downs pulling the rear suspension down create new problems, and you really only need the front.  But that if I had large amounts of rear bounce, put one over the rear tire, like that thing.  So it looks like exactly what they were thinking.  I went 600 miles with just those front tie downs with no movement or issues.  But I didn't have a rail type trailer, it had a bed so no risk if the back moves.

I used to over-tie bikes and probably made it worse.

I can't believe I'm about to type this, but thank you for quoting Tomek.  He is right.  BMW is wrong.  I have never see something so fucked up.  Like a monkey fucking a football.  A left handed football bat.  What the actual.  I have towed THOUSANDS of miles and have NEVER seen anything looks like that shit.  I have straps that are 10 years old that haven't worn out.  OMG.

2 hours ago, SwampNut said:

When I picked up the Zero, they tied it down for me.  We talked about it a bit, as they ship bikes all the time and were strongly suggesting that I only tie to the front bars via a Canyon Dancer, nowhere else.  (Or any front tie down point, but there are none on that bike without risk of rubbing.). They said that tie-downs pulling the rear suspension down create new problems, and you really only need the front.  But that if I had large amounts of rear bounce, put one over the rear tire, like that thing.  So it looks like exactly what they were thinking.  I went 600 miles with just those front tie downs with no movement or issues.  But I didn't have a rail type trailer, it had a bed so no risk if the back moves.

I used to over-tie bikes and probably made it worse.

Even if you don't make them very tight, I'm adding a backup strap/s in the rear.  Of course that is without a front chock that tightens on the wheel.  Never had one of those.  

9 hours ago, Furbird said:

I can't believe I'm about to type this, but thank you for quoting Tomek.  He is right.  BMW is wrong.  I have never see something so fucked up.

What is pictured isn’t what BMW suggested.  The mounts for the rear foot pegs are the official rear tie down anchors for the bike.  Because of how the trailer has the anchors too close, I was cutting through straps from the needless friction.  What is pictured was my best effort to secure the rear without having the strap rub against itself or hard points that would cut through them.

So, no, Tomek isn’t right.  And [sarcasm] I’d like to thank him for shitting on a perfectly good thread rather than making his point in another thread or by PM.  It appears he’s back from vacation.

7 hours ago, XXitanium said:

@Zero Knievel with that trailer being all steel, you could add tie-down points where you need them using a welder.

5 hours ago, SwampNut said:

Or a drill.

I’ve thought of that, and if you actually examine the construction of the trailer, there is nothing sturdy enough to weld to or drill through that would produce a mount point one would trust with any significant amount of weight.  

To compensate for the original design, you’d have to add reinforcement, AND I doubt I’d find any welding shop that would touch the project if they couldn’t guarantee it would never fail.  I don’t have the skill in welding to do it myself.

• Complete bullshit 1

1 hour ago, Zero Knievel said:

What is pictured isn’t what BMW suggested.  The mounts for the rear foot pegs are the official rear tie down anchors for the bike.  Because of how the trailer has the anchors too close, I was cutting through straps from the needless friction.  What is pictured was my best effort to secure the rear without having the strap rub against itself or hard points that would cut through them.

So, no, Tomek isn’t right.  And [sarcasm] I’d like to thank him for shitting on a perfectly good thread rather than making his point in another thread or by PM.  It appears he’s back from vacation.

It was your best effort. Lol. No further comments. 

Once again, this has been discussed before. You have not listen to good advices that were given to you, instead you went full retard. 

What is the point really,,,,,

3 hours ago, tomek said:

It was your best effort. Lol. No further comments. 

Once again, this has been discussed before. You have not listen to good advices that were given to you, instead you went full retard. 

What is the point really,,,,,

Don't be irritable because Ukraine is losing the war.

5 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

Or he could add a smiley emoji and then he can type any dumbfuckery and claim you have no sense of humor. 

Here is my advice to you on the subject at hand.  Buy a shitty cheap trailer and prepare to rig it to work.  Buy something of quality and you won't have to. 

This thread is a prime example of you not really wanting to do what's best.  Which, you love. 

• Upvote 1