CBR1100XX.org Forum

Front wheel wobble

PGA XX

Someone else mentioned this earlier, but I wasn't sure if anyone else experiences this. I went for a ride today and it seems to happen in the top of first or second at high rpm when I let go of the handle bars. As the bike slows, it develops a severe shake. I thought I was going into a tank slapper. :shock: The strange thing is, it only seems to happen on certain types of asphalt. I don't know if the road surface can cause it, but it doesn't seem to happen every time I attempt to make it happen. I checked tire pressure, and my steering head bearings seem to be o.k.

Lance

Silver '02

How are your tires? Worn or cupped tires (along with out of adjustment steering head bearings) can cause a wobble. Never seen it go to a tank slapper. The really stupid thing about finding out that the front end wobbles when you let off the gas and let go of the bars......You'll keep on doing it, just to see if it still happens. :grin:

I just got the 45/46 Avon combo.

From say...49 down to around 40 mph i get some shake when i leave go of the bars. I could see if i had bad tires, but they're bran new, around 120 miles on them. What do you think it could be?

I'm gunna try it with no luggage on and see if it does it.

Big Boy, that is exactly what I'm feeling. I noticed it first w/ my hands on the bars, in first gear @ 8k+ rpm riding twisties. I noticed a slight wobble under deceleration/when I cut the throttle w/ light grip pressure. It sounds like it might be the tire. I'm almost due for a new one anyway.

Thanks,

Lance

That's a common issue. Many bike/tire combos do this. I haven't seen it with the 45/46, but did with a 39/36. It often is an indicator that your steering head bearings are too loose, so check those.

I had a similar issue (not a shake, but an oscillation in the bars when de-celerating around 40), but never really worried about it.

When I removed my triples last week, I found the head bearings were actually quite loose, with the locknut barely finger tight. I'll have new bearings installed this week, and should be on the road by the weekend.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of effect this work will have on the oscillations, as I'll still be on the tire that was doing it in the fall.

Every bike I have had (8 or so) has had head shake at SOME speed. My ST1100 at 45 mph, my XX at around 35 mph. With the ST, I comb my hair at 55 with the cruise on so I dont wipe out :wink:

Try to wheelie the bike.

"When it`s wheeling it`s not shaking"-Scott Russell 1994

Some bikes do that,XX is one of them unless you put fresh front tire every 200 miles.But seriously you should be more carefull,look what happend to poor Kato on RCV 211 at Suzuka.I pray for him.

I have bran new tires on, so i don't think that's the issue with me. When i raise the fork tubes i'll check the tightness of the triple to see if that's the problem.

I had the same problem last year. Turned out it was the crappy, cupped D207 on the front. Replaced the tires with M1s and the wobble disappeared.

i saw that (roberts), i eeked, my wife came running in from the other room wanted to know what was wrong with our son, lol... had to explain to her that did look :shock: like it felt good and certainly not confident!

let me me brave here and ask a question - tankslapper - does this mean side to side slapping or up and down slapping....? cuz roberts looked like side to side and for some reason i alway thought it a tankslapper (for some stupid reason) was up and down).... :oops:

Tankslappers are side to side. Basically, much amplified headshake. To the point that the movement of the forks is knocking the rear out a couple of feet.

These are stills from the 1999 Isle of Man TT. Duke Video, probably the most (in)famous tankslapper seen over here :shock: . Paul Orritt on Bray Hill when it just went into a slap, suffered serious arm injuries but lived to race another day.

PORIT.jpg

PORIT2.jpg

PORIT4.jpg

PORIT3.jpg

The actual video clip is awesome and a real good advert for steering dampers

Look at his head. No matter what was going on, he kept looking where he needed to go. It didn't help this time, but that can often be the difference in recovering from any unexpected problems in a turn.

I just switched to the 45/46's from totally trashed 020's and my decelleration with hands off bars at 45 mph is almost totally gone.

I'm wondering if this whole problem is the allignment problem with front to rear. I have been trusting the swingarm lines to this point. I've tried the string thing to check allign. with not much sucess. Anybody else??