CBR1100XX.org Forum

Synthetic Oil Switching from Dino

Dano

I have to agree with that. Any synthetic these days is going to be great. I use the extended change interval that sythetics allow, and change it every 6-7k. Always worked well for me.

Carlos, if it is a "longer" filter, it must be a bitch to fit behind the headers???

Don't know, since I haven't tried it yet. It's possible it may not work at all. Certainly it was TOO easy to fit the Honda filter on my RX-7, which is how I noticed my error finally. I never seem to have an RX-7 filter around when I change the bike's oil.

the wally world filter is a super tech st6607 and it fits no problem. cant remember the purilator #. just use the charts or little computer thingy they have there and look it up.

yup from what i've heard and read. and many of us are already running it in our bikes with no problem (me included)

Now I notice the bottles say energy conserving

What weight are you using? Most guys here are talking about the 15w50 Mobil1, no energy conserving, clutch damaging additives in the heavier oil.

The "energy conserving" label can spell bad news for wet clutches.

if that question was for me, the 15w50 Mobil1 is the oil i'm using :grin: i can't remember what it says cuz i'm too lazy to run downstairs, but there's some tag line on it that has drawn concern as of late, and shouldn't.

The question was for XX4me (who I quoted :razz: )

The tag line I believe you're refering to is the "new Supersyn Formula" It was discussed at great length last year, and I agree with you that it's no cause for concern. Running the lighter weight "energy conserving" Mobil1 may be, though.

I don't think it works out like an algebraic equation...   :???:   I dunno...

That wouldn't surprise me in the least since I think that it was an idea that my brother read about on the ST1100 list several years ago. LOL

I just changed my oil to Amsoil 15w50 synthetic motorcycle oil. I bought a case six months ago, and it has taken me that long to get to 4000 miles.

The engine sounds smoother. I will monitor the temperature to see if it stays lower, as I heard it would with synthetic oil.

Has anyone tried Amsoil motorcycle specific synthetic oil? It runs about $6.50/quart direct and you can also purchase their filters for about half of what Honda wants.

I have used the Amsoil 10/40 MC oil and oil filters in the XX but found the Amsoil 10/40 a bit thin in the summer. I.E. lots of CCT noise...

Amsoil MC oil has no moly...

I was going to use the Amsoil 20/50 MC oil but the cheapest I could get it was in the $6QT range vs $3.25/QT for the last Mobile 1 I bought..

I am using the M1 15/50 since it is cheaper at 5Q/$18.88 than I can get the Amsoil 20/50 MC oil. The only difference seems to be price/QT the protection seems to be comperable..

The Amsoil oil filter was fine. About the same price as OEM so I use OEM....

Jim