CBR1100XX.org Forum

Synthetic Oil Switching from Dino

Dano

My 02 now has 4k miles on it. I'm planning on switching to synthetic oil. I've heard Wal Mart is the place to go. Which brand do they carry, that you guys recommend. Is there a trick to switching. i.e. change oil and filter and just fill er up with synthetic. Do I have to worry about residual dino oil mixing with the new stuff?

Thanx for the input..

db

I use Motul 300V synthetic. I wouldn't recommend getting your oil from Wal-Mart. Get a synth. oil made for motorcycles.

I switched at 3k miles on my XX. (Waited until 10k on my 929) I didn't think the XX tranny could get smoother, but it did with synth oil.

Just do a full oil/filter change when you make the switch. Nothing special to do.

Mobil 1 15w50 is motorcycle-safe. I buy the large jug at Wal-Mart for $17.88. You can also buy the Purolator One oil filters there for about $3, which is widely known as one of the best filters ever made. I think it's actually sold under the Wal-Mart name. The one for the RX-7 is a perfect fit, but longer with more filtering material (I haven't used these yet, my brother has been using them for years).

I've been a Mobil 1 user for 15 years. Last bike went 130k miles on M1 before I sold it still running fine.

I haven't searched here, but I'm sure the Great Oil Debate has gotten as much bantering here as it has on about every other motorcycle site. Everyone is going to have their own opinion, so your best bet is to force yourself to read through all the BS and make your own decision.

For me, I bought a $10k bike, so I don't mind spending $9 for the OEM Honda filter, and $35/Gallon for a good, motorcycle-specific, synth oil. It's worth the peace of mind, to me.

There is nothing like good oil flame wars.Mobil 1 here,yes from Walmart,I`ve never bought motorcycle spec oil in my life.

Cheapo car spec 10W/40 during brake in then Mobil 1.

Hi XXers,

I have never used motorcycle oils and have had my FJ1100 running well since 1985. Here is a comparison test of bike and car oils that I came across. As you can see, Mobil is still the best synthetic for bikes or cars.

Motorcycle oil comparison

Relative Viscosity Retention

(as a percentage of initial viscosity retained

after normal use in the same motorcycle)

0 miles 800mi 1500mi

Mobil 1 100% 86.60% 83.00% Car oil Synthetic

Castrol Syntec 100% 78.10% 74.50% Car oilSynthetic

Castrol GTX 100% 72.20% 68.00% Car oil Petroleum

Honda HP4 100% 69.20% 65.60% Motorcycle oil Synthetic

Spectro 4 100% 68.00% 63.90% Motorcycle oil Petroleum

Pardon the strange formatting.

TimXX

I like to twist the grip from a standing start and worry about Synthetic oil with the clutch plates running in the oil. If this stuff is soooo slippery, do you think it will help the clutch plates lock up? I change oil often so I use the stuff from the ground that isn't energy conserving. I have read in a Mustang magazine that synthetic oil in the T-5 has burned up the sycro's in the trannsmission.

From the perspective of 'Walmart' , not the National Oil Debate League....

I'm only relaying what Shell wrote to another person I know who inquired about Rotella and using it on a busa (I have the letter) and I'm no oil expert at all, but on the Rotella but I'll pass this along the jist of it:

Rotella T Synthetic contains retains higher phosphourous and zinc content, which was reduced by ILSAC requirements (EPA I think). , also, it's not an 'energy conserving oil'.

The "diesel" or "heavy duty oil" synthetic oil like Rotella (which Shell wrote is a good oil for bikes like the busa) contains LESS friction modifiers than most others. Notice i didn't write 'no friction modifiers' I think all oils have FM. it's a matter of degree. In reality I think think this is important if you race, not sure if street duty really demands this, who knows.

Another good diesel oil which I've heard is as good is the Mobil Delvac 1300 15w-40.

I think the POINT for ME was:

1. generally viewed as a very good oil, safe for high demanding motors & WET clutches

2. ECONOMICAL (since it's an 'automotive oil')

3. the can is NOT labelled 'energy conserving oil'!

4. feedback from mc riders who actually have used it

Rotella meets CF4 CG4 CH4 SH SJ SL SF SG.

(read, warranty safe)

Works for me , might blow up your bike, so I'm not responsible :grin:

make your own informed decision.

I use Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5w-40.

Both the Mobil 1 and the Rotella have a great--no, PERFECT--history with all the serious high-mileage guys. Either will serve you just fine. There are probably hundreds of thousands of BMW guys using one or the other, since they value high miles between service. My brother has been using Rotella for years since he's a big-rig mechanic and has it around. He uses the Wal-Mart filters and Rotell exclusively on all his bikes, customers' bikes, friends' bikes...

Peace of mind...I'd agree if there was any question at all. But both of those oils are so well-proven by high-mileage riders. My last bike, as I said, was sold with 130k miles, all on Mobil one since about 10k. Never had an engine issue, sold it running fine.

bar10dah, thanks for posting that link. That was one of the best I have read on oil yet. Looks like I stick with Mobil 1 :grin:

Ken

You can also buy the Purolator One oil filters there for about $3, which is widely known as one of the best filters ever made.  I think it's actually sold under the Wal-Mart name.  The one for the RX-7 is a perfect fit, but longer with more filtering material (I haven't used these yet, my brother has been using them for years).

Carlos, what filter do you get from Wal-Mart for the XX in lieu of the RX-7 filter?

I've been using the K&N filters made for the XX. I do trades with a local bike shop so I have a bunch of parts stock and trade credit. I'll end up using the RX-7 filter when that runs out.

I discovered the RX-7 filter thing by accident. I have an RX-7, and mixed up the filters one day...