CBR1100XX.org Forum

Toyota Tacoma - shift seems wait/ be too high

XXitanium

My brother's 2018 V8

I browsed through a few Tacoma forums. Nobody said it eas a real problem, but quite a few of them were discussing it.

Both of us think it is over-revving through shifts, especially in lower gears starting out. He says it isn't as bad once it warms up. My ear couldn't hear it 

There is a temp sensor - on the transmission I think?

The forums were talking about mapping too.

23 hours ago, tomek said:

Taco V8? What is "too high"? 

To Tomek's point, I've never seen a Toyota Tacoma with a factory V8 option. Guessing you meant to say Toyota Tundra?

On 6/9/2024 at 10:24 AM, XXitanium said:

My brother's 2018 V8

I browsed through a few Tacoma forums. Nobody said it eas a real problem, but quite a few of them were discussing it.

Both of us think it is over-revving through shifts, especially in lower gears starting out. He says it isn't as bad once it warms up. My ear couldn't hear it 

• Upvote 1

First things to check are air filter and fuel filter, the latter might be "permanent" and in the tank.  It can be checked by checking fuel pressure at full power.  It probably has a pressure sensor so a scanner might do the trick rather than having to install a gauge.  Also check to make sure nothing's blocking the air inlet pipe to the filter box.  I've found vehicle insulation as well as bags and other shit that gotten into the fender and partially blocked them, assuming that one's in the fender and not visible under the hood.

• Upvote 1

Also, Toyota so it has Aisin tranny. If fluid is too low they act like that. 

13 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

And if the fluid has been neglected, changing it might cure it.

Just had this conversation with Leon, he likes to let fluids go too long, and apparently the 68RFE is almost as shitty as the 46RE.

On 6/11/2024 at 7:24 AM, SwampNut said:

Just had this conversation with Leon, he likes to let fluids go too long, and apparently the 68RFE is almost as shitty as the 46RE.

He might subscribe to the theory that changing trans fluid will kill it, many are in that camp.  Maybe it does happen sometimes, but I've only had positive results, even with neglected trannies that were already having issues.

The trans in the Excurision is "weak" and everyone says you'll be lucky to hit 200K miles on it.  Mine's at 450k and appears to be untouched.  The fluid was clean when I bought it so apparently it was being maintained, and I changed it anyway since I knew I'd be working it hard.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, superhawk996 said:

He might subscribe to the theory that changing trans fluid will kill it

No, it's a blend of not knowing or just not doing.  I think I got him past the not knowing part, this time it was "I figured 10 or 20k over is not a big deal."  Maybe, maybe not.

He's getting a whole rebuild with his extended service agreement.  That truck has been kind of shitty, and is only at 130k.

2 minutes ago, SwampNut said:

He's getting a whole rebuild with his extended service agreement.

He lucked out.  He got an education and a fresh start without dropping thousands of dollars.

4 minutes ago, SwampNut said:

That truck has been kind of shitty, and is only at 130k.

IIRC they use it as a commuter car, those trucks seem to dislike that more than most vehicles.  They should probably sell it, get another EV, and put the savings into a vacation account to pay for the rental truck to pull the trailer.  They should probably do the same with the trailer.  This is assuming that they only do a couple trips/year, I don't know.

I'm guessing that even a cheap short range EV would solve their daily needs and they could probably add one on top of keeping the truck and still come out ahead in the long run.

Goddammit, don't get me started.  It's used for a ton of short rides, and commutes into the city.  She's putting $500/mo in fuel in it, plus the many hundreds in maintenance and repairs ever year.  An EV would be literally free.  Can't math it out.  A short-range EV would 100% fit and pay back.  They could get three EVs, some for the kids, who are now driving the relatively unsafe old truck.

The trailer however makes sense, they use it all summer (teacher schedule).  They'll be in it 1-2 months in a shot.

3 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

He might subscribe to the theory that changing trans fluid will kill it, many are in that camp.  Maybe it does happen sometimes, but I've only had positive results, even with neglected trannies that were already having issues.

My son has told me stories of it, where a customer wanted the trans fluid changed against the advise of him.  After changing, the trans was slipping.  I think it all depends on the circumstances of the vehicle.  I'm a changer but I've never tried it on a very abused vehicle. 

On 6/12/2024 at 10:34 AM, XXitanium said:

What does Leon drive?

Leon drives a Tesla now.  The truck we're talking about is a Ram 2500 Diesel that he used to drive, and now his wife drives.  They should ditch it or park it in storage with the trailer it tows.

On 6/12/2024 at 9:31 AM, SwampNut said:

Goddammit, don't get me started.  It's used for a ton of short rides, and commutes into the city.  She's putting $500/mo in fuel in it, plus the many hundreds in maintenance and repairs ever year.  An EV would be literally free.  Can't math it out.  A short-range EV would 100% fit and pay back.  They could get three EVs, some for the kids, who are now driving the relatively unsafe old truck.

The trailer however makes sense, they use it all summer (teacher schedule).  They'll be in it 1-2 months in a shot.

I'm tempted to tow the Smart out next trip and make them all drive it.

15 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

I'm tempted to tow the Smart out next trip and make them all drive it.

No need, Julie uses it whenever the Dodge is in for repair (IE, VERY often), and loves it.  And still won't drive something sensible.  When the BZ4XEs were being given away, I suggested it.  If she drove it 50% of the time, it wouldn't just be a FREE car, it would pay back.  Nope.   "We don't need another car."  But its free and saves you thousands...

Got it back with a $6500 trans job, but at least paid for by the extended service agreement, and three year warranty now.

So yesterday, Marty's real estate agent asked, "But what will it cost you when you need a new battery?"  He just paid $12k to put a new engine in his car.  I couldn't make him understand his ridiculousness.