CBR1100XX.org Forum

High lift jack handle

XXitanium

This is not really a missing part discussion. This is a philosophy discussion. 

At what point do things quit disappearing from your garage that you suspect your children of? 

PXL_20240602_155504110.NIGHT.jpg

2 hours ago, XXitanium said:

At what point do things quit disappearing from your garage that you suspect your children of? 

Never for me.  You look and look where you 'know' you put it but no.  So you give up and buy new.  Not much time passes and there it sits, the tool you were looking for from the start.  Now the question is, do you put the new tool with the old tool or somewhere different so it will up the chances of finding it in five years when you  are looking for it again?

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, I may have put it there even, but I usually try to keep stuff together.

My helpers tonight grabbed handfuls of stuff and just dropped it on the benches in the garage.

I stayed after school to put most of it where it belongs.

Dryer lint clean-out scuttle. I broke that hammer handle trying to pull a nail that's been rusted in for thirty plus years. Wrong tool for the job. A real crowbar did much better 

PXL_20240602_223605447.jpg

PXL_20240602_173040702.PANO.jpg

On 6/2/2024 at 11:13 AM, XXitanium said:

This is not really a missing part discussion. This is a philosophy discussion. 

When you start counting them as Christmas gifts. 😄

• Upvote 1

Picking on the size of my tool?

Yeah it's not a 16 oz. - but close.

I have (34) 5/4 x6 decking to pull up. I'm thinking of trying to recycle the boards if I can pull them up relatively whole.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, XXitanium said:

I have (34) 5/4 x6 decking to pull up. I'm thinking of trying to recycle the boards if I can pull them up relatively whole.

‘Recycle them how? Fence board? Firewood? Curious how to recycle them. Might be kind of cool to finish a wall in a barn or garage with them. I have a friend who turned his riding arena into a wedding venue and used old deck boards as wall covering or paneling. 

59 minutes ago, TOXXIC said:

‘Recycle them how? Fence board? Firewood? Curious how to recycle them. Might be kind of cool to finish a wall in a barn or garage with them. I have a friend who turned his riding arena into a wedding venue and used old deck boards as wall covering or paneling. 

I was at a wedding in a machine shed last week. ...great party.

PXL_20240525_212505391.jpg

10 minutes ago, XXitanium said:

I was at a wedding in a machine shed last week. ...great party.

Looks almost exactly like the machine shed I am building. I need to post an update and pics about it. Imagine your deck boards covering and entire wall, looked pretty sharp. I am trying to integrate storage in the machine shed using the horizontal girds between the pole barn posts.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, XXitanium said:

You should save it. Stack it tight and use them to make rough tables, rustic doghouses, chicken coops. That sort of stuff. It tears me up to be at a landfill throwing away old mattresses to see guys dumping loads of perfectly good old wood away. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/4/2024 at 1:34 PM, RXX said:

It tears me up to be at a landfill throwing away old mattresses to see guys dumping loads of perfectly good old wood away. 

Clearly not real men.  Even if they weren't worth storing for re-use, a real man has a fire pit.

But construction sites do throw away a lot of wood.  A buddy of mine is a framer and gives me a fair amount of firewood, some pieces have been turned into useful items.

• Like 2

On 6/4/2024 at 1:34 PM, RXX said:

It tears me up to be at a landfill throwing away old mattresses

Some guy is probably upset at you throwing away all of that history and the stories it could tell.

1 hour ago, SwampNut said:

Some guy is probably upset at you throwing away all of that history and the stories it could tell.

Big Bang Theory Audition GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

2 hours ago, SwampNut said:

I know, right? Thrift shops won’t take them, so what’s a guy to do?