CBR1100XX.org Forum

1997 hydrolocked? Not. Update on latest post

Dotetcher

Techron is proven with fuel injectors and combustion chambers, I assume it would also help clean carbs, but I haven't tested or read about it.

10 hours ago, TOXXIC said:

I like Seafoam. Were those peanuts in the picture of the inside of the airbox? Guessing your bike lives outdoors?

Acorns. It lives in a shed during the winter months. Covered in the driveway otherwise. The shed is not as buttoned up as it could be.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Dotetcher said:

Acorns. It lives in a shed during the winter months. Covered in the driveway otherwise. The shed is not as buttoned up as it could be.

Damn critters.

• Upvote 1

On 4/29/2024 at 7:21 PM, XXitanium said:

I should have suggested getting som open cell foam in place of the sponge, was if just a breather?

Its the green material. Air passes through easily.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

So getting back into my rough running bird. Picked up an ICM from Joe recently thinking that might be the problem. Looking for the easy fix. Somewhere Joe said he didn

t think that was the issue but humored me anyway. Plugged the "new" ICM in. Same issue. You were correct Joe. Now on to more detailed inspection of the carbs. Anything in particular I should be looking for. A little info. When starting at full choke runs rough. When warmed up a bit idles smooth. As soon as throttle is applied runs rough till high rpm. the statement about high RPM may not be accurate. Its just the way the engine sounds.

I've taken mine apart twice, once for a jet kit and once to clean the low speed jets. I didn't replace any seals or gaskets. Just be careful and do not force things.  If the carbs have never been removed, it may take some effort to remove them from the bike.  The rubber to the head kind of get stuck but a litter rocking back and forth plus a tiny bit of prying will get it done.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2024 at 6:51 PM, blackhawkxx said:

The low speed jets have a very small hole and is easy to get plugged up.

He says it idles smoothly so not the idle jets.

On 6/12/2024 at 5:13 PM, Dotetcher said:

So getting back into my rough running bird. Picked up an ICM from Joe recently thinking that might be the problem. Looking for the easy fix. Somewhere Joe said he didn

t think that was the issue but humored me anyway. Plugged the "new" ICM in. Same issue. You were correct Joe. Now on to more detailed inspection of the carbs. Anything in particular I should be looking for. A little info. When starting at full choke runs rough. When warmed up a bit idles smooth. As soon as throttle is applied runs rough till high rpm. the statement about high RPM may not be accurate. Its just the way the engine sounds.

It's always hard to diagnose stuff from a written description, but my guess is blocked air jets.  It's a hell of a stretch because stuff would have to get past the air filter for that to happen, but from my interpretation of the symptoms it makes more sense than blocked fuel jets.  Old dry K&N filter?  Or maybe an issue with the vacuum diaphragms for the slides, but I don't think they're involved with the choke operation.

What's an ICM?

3 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

Well that wasn't the case with mine.

You had clogged idle jets and a smooth idle?  I've never encountered that on any engine.

4 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

You had clogged idle jets and a smooth idle?  I've never encountered that on any engine.

It's been a few years but I remember it's main problem was trying to accelerate from idle.  Just so we are talking about the same part it's #41 in the part diagram. 

SlowJet.thumb.jpg.f86260699b96e8bd9b991d2408557beb.jpg

1 hour ago, blackhawkxx said:

It's been a few years but I remember it's main problem was trying to accelerate from idle.  Just so we are talking about the same part it's #41 in the part diagram. 

SlowJet.thumb.jpg.f86260699b96e8bd9b991d2408557beb.jpg

Yup, slow jet/idle jet.  My guess is that the idle mixture was probably a bit rich, that could compensate for a dirty jet at the idle position and then go lean just off idle.

There are bunch of holes at the bottom of the carb that come progressively on when throttle is being opened. Like 3-4 of them, and positioned right under or slightly in the front of butterfly. In the front on engine's side.   When throttle is barely cracked the vacuum is really strong there, and that is how engine receives fuel in that particular load. At larger throttle openings they play no role.

They received fuel via pilot circuit. They play the role in transition from idle untill the slide moves and main jet (needle) comes online. Overlapping systems really

Also IIRC, fuel idle screw adjust the flow only to the first of one of those holes. The rest is strictly pilot jet only. That's why turning the screw may not cure engine transition issues btw. You may need different fuel pilot jet. But I'm sidetracking here, not related to the problem here. 

So, the bike can idle perfectly fine, but if engine hesitates  once the throttle is being opened first thing I would check would be those particular tiny passages. You probably need to remove fuel adjustment screw, count turns out for future reference, don't loose that small spring. Spray some carb cleaner, let it soak couple minutes and throw some compressed air into the hole. 

Found picture, although it is not cbr1100xx.

Those I was writing about are marked as "by pass". 

ggMvGWP.jpg

Edited by tomek

2 hours ago, tomek said:

There are bunch of holes at the bottom of the carb that come progressively on when throttle is being opened. Like 3-4 of them, and positioned right under or slightly in the front of butterfly. In the front on engine's side.   When throttle is barely cracked the vacuum is really strong there, and that is how engine receives fuel in that particular load. At larger throttle openings they play no role.

They received fuel via pilot circuit. They play the role in transition from idle untill the slide moves and main jet (needle) comes online. Overlapping systems really

Also IIRC, fuel idle screw adjust the flow only to the first of one of those holes. The rest is strictly pilot jet only. That's why turning the screw may not cure engine transition issues btw.

That was the more thorough explanation that I debated posting.  And yes, the screw only feeds the 'idle hole' in the throat.

A completely clogged idle jet would fuck with the idle, but it's possible for a dirty one to have a bigger effect in the transition than the idle position since there's more flow being demanded from the jet.

• Upvote 1

Sounds like the carbs just need a good, thorough cleaning, but make sure to check those slide diaphragms while you are in there.  Hold them up to a light to check for pin holes.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jon haney said:

Sounds like the carbs just need a good, thorough cleaning, but make sure to check those slide diaphragms while you are in there.  Hold them up to a light to check for pin holes.

...unobtainium? Does anyone know a source for the slide diaphragms?

19 hours ago, XXitanium said:

...unobtainium? Does anyone know a source for the slide diaphragms?

Certainly not Honda.  I believe someone once said on here, that you could get them on Ebay.  No idea of quality.