CBR1100XX.org Forum

What do they make windshields out of on Humvees?

XXitanium

This new car shit is getting old.

Every nick and ding and whatever, you're into an insurance deal.

I'm surprised nobody has figured out how to do it. Windshield repair like they do on the little spider cracks less than a quarter inch.

I just got the car back from the hail damage from last year.

PXL_20240207_225354739.MP.jpg

PXL_20240201_223100095.jpg

Same BS they make every windshield out of.

I do have to say, though, that factory Ford windshield took a beating in my 15 and never cracked (and still hasn't - it's still in our fleet).  The factory 19 was significantly weaker.  The aftermarket replacement is even weaker than the factory one.  But mine all seem to last WAY longer than everybody else's.  When asked why I've only needed 1 windshield in 10 years on the road my answer is always the same;  "Jesus and window tint." 😇

• Like 1

I paid for some Subaru program, glass coating. And hindsight. I think a glance glass coating that's supposed to reduce scratches on a windshield is a waste of money.

I'm not sure how much my deductible is.

12 hours ago, XXitanium said:

This new car shit is getting old.

Every nick and ding and whatever, you're into an insurance deal.

I'm surprised nobody has figured out how to do it. Windshield repair like they do on the little spider cracks less than a quarter inch.

I just got the car back from the hail damage from last year.

You have to check around.  Some places are better than others.  When a deer head butted my driver side door, a local shop treated it like hail damage.  Pulled the dents out without having to drill.

17 hours ago, XXitanium said:

PXL_20240207_225354739.MP.jpg

The crack looks small enough to be repaired.  If there are no signs of impact it might have been a bad installation and you might be able to get it replaced for free.

2 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

The crack looks small enough to be repaired.  If there are no signs of impact it might have been a bad installation and you might be able to get it replaced for free.

In some states if crack is longer than "X" you have to replace windshield. Or ticket. 

It does look like bad installation. 

Edited by tomek

Yeah, I heard something clock off the windshield about a week ago. I looked and didn't see anything.

From the outside you can see it's right about where I put the yellow dot. It doesn't show in the picture.

Ok Google, who repairs 8-in long cracks and windshields?

Screenshot_20240208-193146.png

Safelite used to say anything less than the length of a dollar bill.  But I'm not sure they still work on that length or not because you're still going to see it.  At least it's not in the field of view.

I had a windshield crack overnight on my Jaguar S-Type R.  It was parked in front of the house, nothing around that could hit it and no extreme weather.  $900 and it was several years ago.  Even shittier, I'd already negotiated a sale and the guy was coming from Maine to get it, otherwise I woulda shopped around for a junkyard window.