CBR1100XX.org Forum

Jeep Questions/help

RXX

Here is the back story:

Last Thursday my grand-daughter in Fayetteville NC was taken to the ER and early Friday transferred to the children's hospital at UNC Chapel Hill. She is gravely ill and mother went with her. I left Friday morning straight off and met up with her in-laws to take care of my grand-son until they can return home (~90 miles away.) Wifey is coming over Sunday to take over so I can go back to work.

Dad is a drone dude for L3 industries currently in what can only be described as a hot zone. 

She has been in charge of the household and is doing an excellent job. She has been driving stepson's Stinger since he left (I have it right now, she is carless at the hospital until we can get all the ducks in a row.)

GARAGE:

She allegedly has been cranking up her Dodge Caravan and his 2012 (?) Jeep Wrangler Unlimited weekly. I think not; the batteries in both vehicles were stone cold discharged. I have revived the Caravan and am currently working on the Jeep's. As soon as they are both fully charged I am putting tenders on both of them. Sound like a plan?

While monkeying with the jeep I discovered a substantial pool of water in the front passenger footwell and a lesser amount in the rear. The rest of the upholstery appears dry. Is there a known entry point for this type of scenario? I vacuumed for a while, but you know it will not get it all. I may go to HF and get a tarp to just cover it up until he gets home (keeping it classy in NC) but would love some tips on how to stop it, or if water in a jeep does as much damage as I think it will.

I have tomorrow and Saturday to work on this problem. Any help would be appreciated.image.jpeg.f0fd511520135086cd328f96bcc40ad2.jpeg

How's the kid?

The known water leak points for those is along the removable top to the windshield, and the top to the center bar.  I can't recall on those years if the water could travel from the front to the back.  The front is the most notorious leak spot.

If you pull the carpet, there are drain plugs in the floor.

You can get a Jeep pretty full of water and not hurt it.  I happen to know how much is too much.  It's a lot.

2 minutes ago, SwampNut said:

How's the kid?

The known water leak points for those is along the removable top to the windshield, and the top to the center bar.  I can't recall on those years if the water could travel from the front to the back.  The front is the most notorious leak spot.

If you pull the carpet, there are drain plugs in the floor.

You can get a Jeep pretty full of water and not hurt it.  I happen to know how much is too much.  It's a lot.

That's a great help, Carlos! Will unplug first thing tomorrow morning.

Chloe is very ill right now. Ill enough for praying people to start praying.

Damn.

Jeeps are very good about water up to about the top of the drive tunnel.  Their official depth is a little below that.  The carpets and seats are surprisingly good at dealing with water.  Draining and ventilation should clear things up alright.  There is a one way (outward) vent in the tailgate, so if you can blow some air in such as with a fan in a window, you can dry it out well.

3 minutes ago, XXitanium said:

...prayer sent.

https://smartercharger.com/collections/car-battery-chargers/products/ctek-mus-4-3-polar

...I bought mine fir a decent discount.

Holy mother of god that's pricey! I am getting Walmart 3A trickle chargers. $19.00

2 minutes ago, RXX said:

Holy mother of god that's pricey! I am getting Walmart 3A trickle chargers. $19.00

That orange do-dad does a nice job of recovering batteries. You might geek out on it, and take it home after?

O'Reilly's will load test batteries for free as well.

3 hours ago, RXX said:

She allegedly has been cranking up her Dodge Caravan and his 2012 (?) Jeep Wrangler Unlimited weekly. I think not; the batteries in both vehicles were stone cold discharged.

She might have been and just not letting them run long enough, I've known a few people that killed batteries that way.  They take out more than they put back by not letting it run.

• 2 weeks later...

Off topic but I saw a spare cover on the back of a black jeep that had "I'm the Black Jeep of the Family".

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, XXitanium said:

Any improvements please?

Yes, much improved. Sorry for not reporting back. Susan and I have been busy taking turns minding two domiciles. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 2/16/2024 at 10:54 AM, OMG said:

Off topic but I saw a spare cover on the back of a black jeep that had "I'm the Black Jeep of the Family".

Would be funny to put that on a white Jeep.

One I like is "don't follow me, you won't make it."  But it's an invitation to being dick slapped by a bigger build.  I pulled up next to him and said, "I'll follow you."  He was confused..."what?"  "I think I'll make it."  He chuckled, and said "yea, you got me."

One I almost bought for a friend was "Vehicle equipped with a Millenial anti theft device." and shows a six speed shift pattern.  Being a millennial and a girl, she's a double down against the theory that they can't drive a manual.