CBR1100XX.org Forum

Guess What My Day Was Like...

rockmeupto125

21 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

AAA?  Doesn’t your insurance come with towing/roadside assistance coverage?  It’s usually equal or superior to AAA and is cheaper if not included.

Insurance companies offer towing and it might be cheaper than AAA, but also usually not as good.  And lots of places give AAA discounts that can add up.  I got $30 off a starter at Napa yesterday, that's almost half of a basic yearly membership fee gone in one purchase.  More important to me is the DMV services at AAA.  AAA employees are generally much more friendly and helpful than DMV employees and the wait time is minutes instead of hours.  And unlike AAA, I've never found a cute young chick working at DMV that will bang me in her car after a date.

I will say that AAA dispatch has been fucked up a few times, and some of their contractors are fucking 'tards, but it's usually good.  If they fail you and you hire an independent service they'll reimburse you for it.

3 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

I will say that AAA dispatch has been fucked up a few times, and some of their contractors are fucking 'tards, but it's usually good.

My neighbor work as a flat bed driver for AAA.  Wouldn't want him touching my car.

54 minutes ago, Zero Knievel said:

I’ve not seen a AAA office in ages, and as often as I’ve needed roadside assistance, they would have to be more prompt to justify the $$$.  Around here, that’s not the case.

Me either.  There was one here about 30 years ago but no more.

Another just remembered point...AAA Southern CA is its own entity, coordinated with but run separately, from the national organization.  It has vastly more services, I think, than anywhere else.  Again, regional differences do matter.

But then there's this dark side...

Additionally, the cost of services beyond the covered limit can vary by location. For example, the charges for towing beyond the covered limit can range from $5 to $10 per mile in Arizona, while in California, it can range from $10 to $15 per mile

1 hour ago, SwampNut said:

the charges for towing beyond the covered limit can range from $5 to $10 per mile in Arizona, while in California, it can range from $10 to $15 per mile

Possible reasons: Our fuel is more expensive, usually more traffic, wages are probably higher, and trucks are more expensive-we can't use medium/heavy duty diesels older than 2010 because of emissions laws.  That last bit killed a lot of cheap competition.  

Well, I'm familiar with AAA just because that's where one can get international driver licence. Typically they are sorta needed to rent a car overseas. But not always. 

Anyway, those offices are typically attached to car repair shops. Some nationwide chain that name escapes me at this moment.