CBR1100XX.org Forum

Trailering and tying down bikes

Zero Knievel

1 hour ago, DaveK said:

HOW RECKLESS OF YOU VERN :)

I like to live my life on the edge........the edge of my tires!  😁

On 3/29/2024 at 10:38 AM, Zero Knievel said:

Let the ridiculing begin....

FWIW, I'm buying this largely because IF I need to take the zero-turn mower anywhere, I'll need it.  I might as well use it for the motorcycle too.

The folding trailer would be worth it IF I could strap the BMW down symmetrically, but the position of the exhaust can and the shape of the rear drive prevents that.  I also don't care for how the folding trailer DOES NOT have springs separating the axle from the rest of the trailer.  I don't know if the lack of a spring causes damage on long hauls, but I've NEVER had an issue trailering a bike in the back of a pickup truck or trailer with a sprung axle.

I could see about an upgraded folding trailer, but since I need this for the mower, at this price I can't ignore it as the better option.

trailer.thumb.jpg.28e5f9348c9c5cad7291002f78ece93f.jpg

Lol. I told you to get something like that years ago when you were in full drama queen mode over transporting bimmer on your little pickup. Circle of life.

Btw back then you said there was no room for it in your yard. 

Edited by tomek

29 minutes ago, tomek said:

Lol. I told you to get something like that years ago when you were in full drama queen mode over transporting bimmer on your little pickup. Circle of life.

Btw back then you said there was no room for it in your yard

He's been watering the yard feverishly over that last couple of years and it has grown in size!

If I owned a trailer, I'd put my Baxley chock in it for sure.  But I rent.  And it's been discussed in another thread, that thing is fucking awesome at home.  I park in it daily, saves a lot of space, and for my garage it's best to get on/off from the wrong side of the bike.  Just works.  So solid.  For working/washing I take it out into the driveway.

I'll forever disagree with you on Canyon Dancers, or until I fuck up something with them.  I suspect your control box issue was with attachment point locations on your particular trailer.

27 minutes ago, SwampNut said:

If I owned a trailer, I'd put my Baxley chock in it for sure.  But I rent.  And it's been discussed in another thread, that thing is fucking awesome at home.  I park in it daily, saves a lot of space, and for my garage it's best to get on/off from the wrong side of the bike.  Just works.  So solid.  For working/washing I take it out into the driveway.

I'll forever disagree with you on Canyon Dancers, or until I fuck up something with them.  I suspect your control box issue was with attachment point locations on your particular trailer.

You could be correct......it's been way too long ago to remember any of the specifics about it and the mounting locations of the tie down points on the trailer.  At any rate, it caused me to look for a different setup and I discovered the Baxley Sport Chocks and how sturdy they are and how easy to use, so I stuck with that method since early 2007.

I can certainly see an issue if the loops are forward, not to the sides.  Conversely, I got the CD for the Zero because the points were too far to the side for me to use my previous solution.  I bought it after the dealer tried multiple ways to do it without the CD.

Mike, you really should get the Baxley for your trailer.  $225, super solid and so useful in the garage too.

9 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

Difference of opinion.  The hook latch is small and metal, that could tear into the material.  The metal loops make a point of contact that won’t wear.  I’ll ask them why they go with this option.

The manufacturer confirmed my suspicion.  They use the metal loops with hook latches.  For others, they use standard soft loops.

I've got thousands of miles on fabric over metal.  Tell me, what exactly is the interface from the rings to the fabric?  The same metal on fabric interface?  Maybe there's a thin layer of adamantium coated with unobtanium in there?  The rings are much smaller than the hooks and have far less surface area.  Those people are either retarded or just good salesmen, anyone believing them needs to go back to physics 101.

7 hours ago, xrated said:

I bought one years ago and it ended up breaking the control pod on the left grip side of the bike.

It broke the pin that keeps my left XX control pod from rotating.  

2 minutes ago, blackhawkxx said:

Oh, that's a nice feature.  I had to cut mine off, and it was oddly hard.

Just now, SwampNut said:

Oh, that's a nice feature.  I had to cut mine off, and it was oddly hard.

So every time I use the choke I have to use two hands.  One to hold the pod, the other for the lever.  Not that nice.

29 minutes ago, blackhawkxx said:

That's exactly what happened to mine....broken locating pin, it just wasn't on the XX I had.....it was on one of my many 600RRs

3 hours ago, SwampNut said:

I can certainly see an issue if the loops are forward, not to the sides.  Conversely, I got the CD for the Zero because the points were too far to the side for me to use my previous solution.  I bought it after the dealer tried multiple ways to do it without the CD.

Mike, you really should get the Baxley for your trailer.  $225, super solid and so useful in the garage too.

I know that they weren't "forward", more like probably straight out to the side.

38 minutes ago, blackhawkxx said:

So every time I use the choke I have to use two hands.  One to hold the pod, the other for the lever.  Not that nice.

Well, carbs suck, LOL!  The pods for my XR came with these little strips of rubber U-channel to prevent slippage, which works great.  But I never had a slipping problem with other bikes, and I remove nearly all of the locating pins unless they are slotted.  Rubber tape maybe?

C68C391B-5B65-475C-80D8-9C0BFF84B731_1_102_o.jpeg

11 minutes ago, xrated said:

I know that they weren't "forward", more like probably straight out to the side.

I'm guessing that the CD is good for diagonal forward, not for straight in either direction.  It was very comfortable and relaxing on the U-haul, and I'm paranoid about towing.

1 hour ago, SwampNut said:

I've got thousands of miles on fabric over metal.  Tell me, what exactly is the interface from the rings to the fabric?  The same metal on fabric interface?  Maybe there's a thin layer of adamantium coated with unobtanium in there?  The rings are much smaller than the hooks and have far less surface area.  Those people are either retarded or just good salesmen, anyone believing them needs to go back to physics 101.

Can't you tell by looking?  The D-rings are sewn into the soft strap and that's what connects to the latching hook.

3 minutes ago, Zero Knievel said:

Can't you tell by looking?  The D-rings are sewn into the soft strap and that's what connects to the latching hook.

Yeah, exactly.  Can you tell by looking?  Metal contacts fabric, same thing.  That's my point.

Just now, SwampNut said:

Yeah, exactly.  Can you tell by looking?  Metal contacts fabric, same thing.  That's my point.

I suppose you strap on your motorcycle helmet with a half Windsor?

The D-ring distributes friction over a large area of densely woven fabric.  The latching hook is not like the standard hook...it imparts more friction on a small point by comparison.  Metal on metal is better than narrow metal on fabric.

It's funny that Zero keeps arguing about how bad the metal to fabric interface is when it's a tie down hook against the fabric,  but is perfectly ok with that interface if the metal was installed on the fabric by a Professional.  I give him cudos to some degree for bowing down, but it's a shame that he can't accept that people have done millions of miles with steel hooks on fabric loops.

2 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

It's funny that Zero keeps arguing about how bad the metal to fabric interface is when it's a tie down hook against the fabric,  but is perfectly ok with that interface if the metal was installed on the fabric by a Professional.  I give him cudos to some degree for bowing down, but it's a shame that he can't accept that people have done millions of miles with steel hooks on fabric loops.

I don’t get why Carlos is being an asshole about how the manufacturer made this choice as if it’s a bad idea.  If he can’t understand how scissors and knifes work, then no amount of explanation will get him to grasp why the manufacturer went with this choice.

Soft loops work with the standard strap hook BECAUSE THE STRESS IS APPLIED OVER A LARGER AREA.  It’s the same reason an arrow or knife can punch through ballistic armor while a bullet can’t.  Physics 101.

46 minutes ago, DaveK said:

I don't understand.... got a 120 minute YT video for me?

You need crayons and construction paper...not video. ;)