CBR1100XX.org Forum

Trailering and tying down bikes

Zero Knievel

Not a single one of the simple proven systems will work for Zero.  He must use 57 straps in all the wrong places to add up to something that might work.

Never mind.

I wanted input on what people thought of the quality of the product...not round and round pissing on stuff.

• Like 1

They seem to be of very high quality.  I think the metal rings on the fabric loops are not good.  I have a lot of just-fabric loops that work great and the lack of metal means I can use them in either configuration.  Looped on itself, or looped so a hook goes into both sides.  I previously posted the ones I use, and 100% recommend them.  I use them with the CD for street bike and the XR without the CD.

9 minutes ago, Zero Knievel said:

Never mind.

I wanted input on what people thought of the quality of the product...not round and round pissing on stuff.

...sorry, I missed that strap post.

They look nice. SieraKLR suggested?

Do you have tie-down points? The small double ring straps look promising.

10 minutes ago, Zero Knievel said:

But you specifically asked for advice, not an opinion on the quality of the product.

Adding to what's been said, the locking hooks of that overpriced strap set won't let you use them with small rings/anchor points so make sure they'll fit what you bought before buying them.

1 hour ago, superhawk996 said:

But you specifically asked for advice, not an opinion on the quality of the product.

Hey.  I'm the pedantic one around here.

Checking to make sure the locking hooks will fit is a good idea but locking hooks are a must IMO.  Change the anchor points if not because I have had S type hooks come unhooked before.  The loops are very useful for giving you more options when tying things down.  

While some do haul their bikes around with 2 or 3 straps, I have never seen any harm in adding more.  

1 hour ago, superhawk996 said:

Adding to what's been said, the locking hooks of that overpriced strap set won't let you use them with small rings/anchor points so make sure they'll fit what you bought before buying them.

Carlos sent me a couple of these.  I ordered 4 more, so 6 total will be installed on the trailer.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BFB3XSLP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

mounts.thumb.jpg.ae4bad65796b78e1406bc1b1b8d503b5.jpg

2 hours ago, SwampNut said:

They seem to be of very high quality.  I think the metal rings on the fabric loops are not good.  I have a lot of just-fabric loops that work great and the lack of metal means I can use them in either configuration.  Looped on itself, or looped so a hook goes into both sides.  I previously posted the ones I use, and 100% recommend them.  I use them with the CD for street bike and the XR without the CD.

I suspect they are provided because of the nature of the hook latches...makes sense when you think of it.

13 minutes ago, Zero Knievel said:

makes sense when you think of it.

It doesn't.  I use hook latches also, and prefer them, and use the cloth-only loops.

12 hours ago, SwampNut said:

It doesn't.  I use hook latches also, and prefer them, and use the cloth-only loops.

Difference of opinion.  The hook latch is small and metal, that could tear into the material.  The metal loops make a point of contact that won’t wear.  I’ll ask them why they go with this option.

20 hours ago, SwampNut said:

It has way more bullshit than you need.  All you need is one Canyon Dancer and two straps.  *Maybe* a light duty third simply to keep the back from bouncing, but not actually tight.

D0330BB2-3DE5-4B04-9796-2DC91C9E085E_1_201_a.jpeg

Canyon Dancers are the very last thing I would ever put on a motorcycle for transport.  I bought one years ago and it ended up breaking the control pod on the left grip side of the bike.  I threw it into a corner for a while, then properly disposed of it.....into a trash can.

Since 2007, I have used nothing but Baxley wheel chocks for the front tire, two soft straps attached at the passenger peg area (the bracket that the pegs are mounted to) and two quality ratchet straps attached to the soft straps (one on each side of the bike.  That are attached to the trailer in a spot that pulls the bike forward and down.  I've hauled two track bikes that way for literally 10s of thousands of miles....probably well over 50,000 miles.  I even hauled my ST1300 (approx. 730 lbs) the same exact way a few times.  Never have I needed a strap of any kind up front on the bars, triple tree, anywhere up front.

PS.....The Baxley wheel chock DOES need to be bolted down in order to keep it in one place.  I usually put two bolts of the appropriate size up from the bottom of the trailer and then a nut/washer to hold the bolts in place.  Then, I place the Baxley base, which has two mounting holes in it, over the "studs" sticking up and put a wing nut on and tighten it down.  Easy install and removal if needed that way.

Edited by xrated

Baxley Wheel Chock up front, soft strap on the passenger pegs and the ratchet straps.....That's it, nothing more, nothing less.

PXL_20230308_183311256.jpg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, xrated said:

Baxley Wheel Chock up front, soft strap on the passenger pegs and the ratchet straps.....That's it, nothing more, nothing less.

PXL_20230308_183311256.jpg

HOW RECKLESS OF YOU VERN :)

Edited by DaveK

38 minutes ago, IcePrick said:

Unmarked LEO car in background noted.

Yep, I talked him out of a speeding ticket when I told him that being able to go fast wasn't the same as going fast!  🤣

• Haha 1