CBR1100XX.org Forum

Fake vendor compatibility check

SwampNut

Fuck these fuckers.  The makers of the ST2 Smart Brake module have a compatibility checker on their site.  It verified that the Zero SR/S is compatible, lucky me!!  And also lucky me, they immediately started to send me coupon and BUY NOW emails.  I had replied to their first email asking them to verify that it would work with this negative-switched light.  I got three spams before they finally replied and said that no, it was not compatible. 

Assholes.

Hello, im sorry but no

Kind regards,
Philippe Duvón

ST2 Support
support@st2-systems.com

And just got this.  Dicks.

View this email in your browser
11258d0f-049a-09ee-ab93-ca0a7c689d10.png
Hi there,

I hope you don't mind me sending you a short reminder.

ST2 BRAKE MODULE
IS FULLY COMPATIBLE WITH YOUR BIKE

I want to make sure that you won't miss your opportunity for a special offer on your new favourite motorcycle add-on.

Your new favourite motorcycle add-on.

Sounds like a bold claim!

It is a bold claim, and we made sure that you can convince yourself without any risk.
14477c76-3e4d-f73e-076b-a908b9078121.png

YOU CAN TEST THE ST2 BRAKE MODULE
FOR 100 DAYS! 

And if you won't like it, we will give you all your money back.
No questions asked!

HERE IS WHAT YOU GET
IF YOU ORDER IT TODAY

30% DISCOUNT
(save some for the fuel tank - sounds nice, doesn't it?)
LIFETIME WARRANTY
(Instead of the 2-year warranty, we have you covered for life)
100-DAY SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
(Give it a try, and if you don't like it, we will give you your money back, no questions asked - This is how much we believe in our product.)

14477c76-3e4d-f73e-076b-a908b9078121.png
GRAB THIS AMAZING OPPORTUNITY

Not a single rider regrets the decision that he fitted the ST2 Smart Brake Module to his motorcycle.

YOU WILL NOT WANT TO RIDE WITHOUT IT AGAIN.

Click on the button below to
ACTIVATE THE COUPON CODE LIFETIME30
and grab this fantastic opportunity!

ACTIVATE MY SPECIAL OFFER IN THE STS SHOP
Your discount and free lifetime warranty will apply automatically
by clicking the button above.
The special offer applies to all products in the STS shop.

Join tens of thousands of riders in our community of

#SMARTRIDERS

and ride safer, and be more visible to other drivers.
5e614f57-008e-1db7-9ceb-56bf3afa3324.png

Copyright © 2023 ST2 Systems, All rights reserved.
You completed a compatibility check on our website

Our mailing address is:
ST2 Systems
Kidriceva Ulica 24
Celje 3000
Slovenia

Add us to your address book

Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp

1 hour ago, Zero Knievel said:

Good luck getting your money back?

It would be trivial if I had only just now bought it.  I got it many years ago.

EDIT:  I have my receipt, in triplicate and laminated, so no problem.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, SwampNut said:

It would be trivial if I had only just now bought it.  I got it many years ago.

EDIT:  I have my receipt, in triplicate and laminated, so no problem.

You bought years ago something for a bike you just now purchased?

12 minutes ago, Zero Knievel said:

You bought years ago something for a bike you just now purchased?

LOL, no, I bought it for another bike.  I just now checked compatibility since I still hadn't used the module.  And the heavy regen may make it nice to have auto brake lights.

You know, maybe this wasn't obvious, but...the ST2 can still go on the bike, and it would simply activate my AUX brake lights only, not the bike's own light.  So I'll probably do that.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, SwampNut said:

Hello, im sorry but no

Kind regards,
Philippe Duvón

ST2 Support

5 hours ago, SwampNut said:

ST2 BRAKE MODULE
IS FULLY COMPATIBLE WITH YOUR BIKE

I don't know why but that made me chuckle but I know it stinks.  I have come across many places that have bad fitment info.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, superhawk996 said:

I can't tell you how many times someone has bought something for their car that's supposed to fit because "they said it would online."

Sometimes that is all you have to go on, like this exhaust fits your make model and year.  But Carlos's example is in a different league.  Anyone that buys a exhaust shield for a Zero maybe needs the education of the experience. 

On 9/23/2023 at 10:28 AM, SwampNut said:

F009679A-C1FB-4798-9475-7C9F10E9D9CB_1_105_c.png

4001453D-3B28-4C4C-BADA-1D55E089B223_1_105_c.png

3A26E4DC-8047-4564-8170-27C1B48F646B_1_105_c.png

And no, you can't replace the bulbs on this bike, they are fully integrated.

Thanks, Carlos for posting this.  I need that exhaust shield for the new extension on my drag bike.  It already has a nice black spot from my boot.

I just spent some time on a bike with a metal heat shield, and it was still insanely hot.  See my post about riding a Harley.  Based on that, I'd recommend considering a carbon or Ti shield that won't transfer heat as much.  But if you're just doing short runs, it may not heat up a metal shield.

• Upvote 1

Let's add photoshopped pictures to this rant.  WTF is this???  Which side is the battery door on?  For my desired mounting location, it's important.  This shows a battery door on the left, then shows no door or on the right....  This is from the damn manufacturer.

9b03746d-4310-4aaa-8272-f42489a35a80_102

57c4c746-5cb2-4b55-a091-600e90dc0787_102

Probably the Fusion 360 engineering rendering.  They can look pretty lifelike, and if the photo renderings were grabbed at different modification stages or a box accidentally unchecked that resulted in hiding a stage, it will leave out elements in the final.

Looking at the grey fade on the left side of the upper pic, I'm almost positive that it's a CAD generation.

The people in marketing?  They're not engineers or users, and would probably just give you a blank stare if you pointed it out to them.

• Upvote 1

Oh yeah, I'm sure you're right.  It's not a real pic, is my objection.  This has been a problem more and more on Amazon and eBay, because the Chinese vendors can't afford a (motorcycle/iPhone/iPad/whatever) to show the product.  Then you get it, and real life isn't the same.  It's getting worse with generative AI.

I went to the user's guide and found out the battery door is on the left, where it makes my usage more challenging.

Something I ran into recently on Amazon is 'fake' reviews.  Not in the traditional sense of someone submitting a couple fake 5 star reviews, these products (windshield crack repair kits) had dozens or hundreds of reviews but I was fairly sure that they couldn't be that great.  I started with reading the small percentage of one and two star, that's my go-to, and they were very believable.  Some people post a 1 star because they couldn't make the thing work, or because it showed up damaged, etc. so I ignore those.  Then I go to the 5 star and they're all raving about how great the carry bag is.  Reminder, the product was a windshield repair kit.

I reported them and at a glance it appears that they've been removed.

8 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

Something I ran into recently on Amazon is 'fake' reviews.  Not in the traditional sense of someone submitting a couple fake 5 star reviews, these products (windshield crack repair kits) had dozens or hundreds of reviews but I was fairly sure that they couldn't be that great.  I started with reading the small percentage of one and two star, that's my go-to, and they were very believable.  Some people post a 1 star because they couldn't make the thing work, or because it showed up damaged, etc. so I ignore those.  Then I go to the 5 star and they're all raving about how great the carry bag is.  Reminder, the product was a windshield repair kit.

I reported them and at a glance it appears that they've been removed.

I also do the same thing and have seen reviews for the wrong product.

13 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

Then I go to the 5 star and they're all raving about how great the carry bag is.  Reminder, the product was a windshield repair kit.

Review hijacking, which is usually intentional, but sometimes the reviewers are the problem.  Companies set up a cheap product like a Chinese handbag, and sell a bunch to shills (or give them away).  I was given free products twice in exchange for a review, one turned out to be a hijacker (other was legit).  They get a lot of good reviews because everyone will give a five star rating to a very nice handy tote bag that doesn't break, for $3.  Then they change the product to something expensive.

Unintentional versions of this happen when similar but substantially different product go into a listing as versions or submodels.  Or even worse, a product is mixed with cases and accessories for the product.  I was looking at a camera, and a review mentioned stiff zippers that broke.  WUT....ahhh.

Moriah was just shopping for duvet covers and found where nearly nearly all the high reviews were people who got free product for testing.  Now, that's not unethical, and I've done it.  But it's human nature, especially in women, to not denigrate a free product.

I use a plugin called FakeSpot to help give a quick clue.  It's not as great for specialty items like moto parts, but best for commodities with lots of sales.

10970.png

On 9/25/2023 at 12:41 PM, SwampNut said:

I just spent some time on a bike with a metal heat shield, and it was still insanely hot.  See my post about riding a Harley.  Based on that, I'd recommend considering a carbon or Ti shield that won't transfer heat as much.  But if you're just doing short runs, it may not heat up a metal shield.

The one I bought is a little different, as it has about a 3/8" spacer, so shouldn't get too hot for a boot.  It looks like CF, but isn't.  I actually looked (lazily) for one in CF, but couldn't find it.  I just hope vibration doesn't break the welds too soon.

• 3 months later...

Apparently once one Chinese vendor gloms on to a particular compatibility and fitment, they all do.  I've tried twice to buy a rear brake line clamp for the XR.  Both ended up being for the L model, not XR650R.  Totally different bikes.  Every listing has it backwards.  Today I ordered the one for the XR650L.

From the parts catalog:

CleanShot 2024-01-10 at 09.54.44@2x.jpg

My bike:

6859D551-586E-45E6-9AB0-F2BF477FF7F9_1_102_a.jpeg

The listings:

CleanShot 2024-01-10 at 09.58.45@2x.jpg