CBR1100XX.org Forum

Loctite for muffler parts

SwampNut

All Loctite is rated up to 300F, and there's a special one for 650.  The "DB killer" insert in the KTM's aftermarket muffler likes to shake its retaining bolt loose.  Life with a thumper I guess.  Any opinions on which product to use?

3 hours ago, SwampNut said:

All Loctite is rated up to 300F, and there's a special one for 650.  The "DB killer" insert in the KTM's aftermarket muffler likes to shake its retaining bolt loose.  Life with a thumper I guess.  Any opinions on which product to use?

The 650 degree stuff should be adequate, if there is no other "mechanical" means of securing the bolt.

It's a tiny threaded hole behind a slightly larger access hole.  The only solution is to make the fastener stay in place.  My ONLY question is whether the 300 or 650 is needed.  I have some basic Loctite,  sounds like I should get the high heat version for this one task.

• Upvote 1

I'm just getting the idea that this fix should mechanical, not chemical.  Between the constant vibration and high heat, I agree with the idea of safety wire, or a large headed bolt that a spring clip large enough not to be able to turn in the muffler body... But you would have to safety wire the clip.

How about earplugs?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, rockmeupto125 said:

How about earplugs?

That's the solution I deployed when it happened. I am not going to try drilling a 3-4mm socket head cap screw or any other such fuckery.

IMG_2453.jpeg

15 hours ago, rockmeupto125 said:

not being able to remove the silencer.

That's the goal.

Also, pretty sure it's not a tack welded nut, but just tapped metal.

I appreciate the problem solving here, but my amount of fucks is way closer to zero, high temp Loctite it is.  I'm not curious about nor considering anything other than making this bolt stay forever.

• Upvote 1