Jump to content
CBR1100XX.org Forum

Blackbirds


silverbird1100
 Share

Recommended Posts

Thanks, Carlos.  However, after reading "Beetle running gear", I feel like a beautiful women has just undressed in front of me, only to reveal a penis. 
Sigh.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, jon haney said:

Thanks, Carlos.  However, after reading "Beetle running gear", I feel like a beautiful women has just undressed in front of me, only to reveal a penis. 
Sigh.

On the upside, you can make big power with a VW motor and they're light.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

On the upside, you can make big power with a VW motor and they're light.

Every vehicle can be made fast with enough money.

Two real Birds lovingly connected with some chrome moly tubing and fiberglass has got to cost less than a souped-up VW motor that would push that rig to the same 1/4 mile time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To street it, it would need some steering geometry figured out.

 

On a 4 wheel system the inside front wheel and the outside have different instantaneous centers for their turning radii.

 

I have never been on a drag strip, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night ir some shit...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/26/2022 at 2:23 PM, superhawk996 said:

Whada you know shit talker, u proly ain ever even seen a dragstrip.

LOL.  Fortunately, not too close-up anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, XXitanium said:

On a 4 wheel system the inside front wheel and the outside have different instantaneous centers for their turning radii.

It's called Ackerman, and can be one of the toughest things to get right.  Even many production vehicles don't get it right, I mostly notice it with trucks/vans.  That would only be one of the challenges of getting two bikes working as a car, and one of the least likely to try to kill you if you get it wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, XXitanium said:

Which is worse, toe in or toe out?

An Audi I bought had the rear wheels toed out 5/8 "

Very sketchy, especially on ice.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

It's called Ackerman, and can be one of the toughest things to get right.  Even many production vehicles don't get it right, I mostly notice it with trucks/vans.  That would only be one of the challenges of getting two bikes working as a car, and one of the least likely to try to kill you if you get it wrong.

I retract my cost comparison statement above.  Forgot about the front geometry equation.

I've seen a side-car rig that had a front "swing-arm" setup with center-hub steering.  Probably have to go that way to make it work.

Come on lottery!  Daddy needs a new Bird, I mean Birds.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, XXitanium said:

Seen it.  Even rode it around the parking lot.  Takes some getting used to.

I think I would rather build something with 2 Bird motors, and be able to ride/drive it in the rain without getting wet.

Thanks for posting the video link.  I had never seen that.

Edited by jon haney
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/27/2022 at 3:31 PM, XXitanium said:

Which is worse, toe in or toe out?

There isn’t really a better or worse, it’s what the vehicle needs. Typically you want toe in. I’ve heard that some front wheel drive vehicles have close to zero or maybe a bit of toe out. I assume it’s because they plan on the power pulling the wheels forward and toeing in slightly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/28/2022 at 7:44 AM, jon haney said:

I retract my cost comparison statement above.  Forgot about the front geometry equation.

I've seen a side-car rig that had a front "swing-arm" setup with center-hub steering.  Probably have to go that way to make it work.

Come on lottery!  Daddy needs a new Bird, I mean Birds.

I think it would work OK with a simple tie rod connecting the two together. It would have excessive caster, but not a huge deal.  It would be like steering a motorcycle with a fixed side car.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

I'll take the turbo and NOS. 🙂

I'm guessing the bike isn't finished as I see no exhaust.

The bottle is probably for an air shifter, not NOS.

 

It might just have a short pipe that's not visible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

The bottle is probably for an air shifter, not NOS.

 

It might just have a short pipe that's not visible.

After making the photo bigger, I think you are right about the bottle but there is no way the exhaust is that short on a drag bike not at least on any that I have seen in my lifetime. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, blackhawkxx said:

After making the photo bigger, I think you are right about the bottle but there is no way the exhaust is that short on a drag bike not at least on any that I have seen in my lifetime. 

With a NA motor you want some length after the collector, a super short pipe would rob power so it would be silly to do it.  With a turbo it pretty much doesn't matter so it could be a super short pipe in the belly of the fairing, or it might be poking out the other side.  A turbo outlet pipe is very simple so I wouldn't suspect that to be 'the one part we haven't gotten around to'.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/31/2022 at 6:38 PM, blackhawkxx said:

there is no way the exhaust is that short on a drag bike not at least on any that I have seen in my lifetime. 

 

23 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

 

1952511592.jpg

Is this Dean's?

 

351141956_LongBird.jpg.10d32a21ac3a9022f641ffe3899a5c0c.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

 

 

I get it, that is one reason I posted the other two.  I haven't been around much turbo stuff.   The exhaust may exit on the left in the bike in question.

 

On 10/31/2022 at 10:21 PM, superhawk996 said:

With a turbo it pretty much doesn't matter so it could be a super short pipe in the belly of the fairing,

Wouldn't the exhaust exit be in front of the rear tire?  Have you ever seen that on a fast drag bike?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use