CBR1100XX.org Forum

Top End gain changing Sprockets? 200 MPH?

Redbird USA

I'm giving up up this now coz although the V+M XX figures may be incorrect (I have no proof to the contrary), it's like talking to a child who doesn't have a clue what he's talking about but resorts to name calling because doesn't know how else to express himself... stick to your ovals, BDAZ, they suit you.

So let me get this straight...

You own a V&M Blackbird, but have no idea of it's speed potential or output? :icon_scratchhead:

I have often thought how strange it is that a top fuel car can cover half the track (1/8 mile) at 275 mph but takes the other half of the track to go 330 mph (only 55 mph more). Oh, that is at 8,000 HP.

The answer to your question is time.

They run out of time to accelerate any more. It may take them 3.2 seconds to get to half track, but because of there speed it only takes another .8 of a second to travel the last half of the track.

I have often thought how strange it is that a top fuel car can cover half the track (1/8 mile) at 275 mph but takes the other half of the track to go 330 mph (only 55 mph more). Oh, that is at 8,000 HP.

The answer to your question is time.

They run out of time to accelerate any more. It may take them 3.2 seconds to get to half track, but because of there speed it only takes another .8 of a second to travel the last half of the track.

Damn.......just think of doing that!!!

What a rush!

• 15 years later...

I know my reply might be late lol but I’ve just come across this discussion here in the UK. I took my 2005 XX Blackbird to Germany where it’s legal to exceed 70 mph and opened up on a fairly clear stretch of Autobahn and topped 190 mph with throttle left. I had calibrated my Speedo through a GPS so I’ve allowed for this. But for a cross wind I’m confident my XX would hit 200 mph.

This is a polite post from a biking enthusiast of 40+ years.

I’m currently examine Bonneville records, as there are so many, that might be achievable using a ‘modified’ XX Blackbird as it’s a lifelong dream to go there and achieve something.

Even reaching the 200 mph Club would be great

Burt Munro is a Legend

safe riding guys

• Upvote 2

You need forced induction to hit 200 mph on XX. Stocker hits about 175 mph on around 135-140 rwhp engine. The hp needs to be increased by about 40% in order to hit 200mph. So, forced induction-turbo would be the least expensive way of achieving that goal.

15 hours ago, Thrux65 said:

Even reaching the 200 mph Club would be great.

I used to be the undisputed king of zombie thread resurection. Pretty sure you now own the crown.  :)

There are a couple intensly motivated tuners on thus board.

I would politely suggest starting your own thread in the Garage. 

What kind if build budget are you thinking?

Thrux65. going 200 is not a simple change of sprockets. Ask Mikesail.

As XX owners, we all want to believe it will go 200mph with a simple gear change.

As far as I know, no one has achieved this ever with a naturally aspirated stock XX motor. If you achieve this, you have King statis bragging rights. 

Edited by CALCXX

On 8/30/2022 at 3:44 AM, Thrux65 said:

I know my reply might be late lol but I’ve just come across this discussion here in the UK. I took my 2005 XX Blackbird to Germany where it’s legal to exceed 70 mph and opened up on a fairly clear stretch of Autobahn and topped 190 mph with throttle left. I had calibrated my Speedo through a GPS so I’ve allowed for this. But for a cross wind I’m confident my XX would hit 200 mph.

This is a polite post from a biking enthusiast of 40+ years.

I’m currently examine Bonneville records, as there are so many, that might be achievable using a ‘modified’ XX Blackbird as it’s a lifelong dream to go there and achieve something.

Even reaching the 200 mph Club would be great

Burt Munro is a Legend

safe riding guys

190 MPH with some throttle left would require a huge power gain over stock, my guess is that your speedo calibration is way off.

11 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

190 MPH with some throttle left would require a huge power gain over stock, my guess is that your speedo calibration is way off.

Exactly, and why I wanted to know about "throttle left" and the module used.  I put one of the common ones on the China bike, and realized that if calibrated at low speed it didn't stay really linear.  Though I never got it up to 180 to find out what happens there.