CBR1100XX.org Forum

Top End gain changing Sprockets? 200 MPH?

Redbird USA

I saw a thread, I believe on this forum, about "Will a Blackbird go 200 MPH?". Some of the replies were about changing the gearing(sprockets). My question is. My 01 Bird is totally stock. I would like to get more top end out of it. But, I don't want to burn the clutch up because of having too high a gear. :icon_frown: What are some suggestions on sprocket(only) changing? Also any drawbacks to this change?

Short answer, you can gear it to go 200 or any speed you wish.

The rub, it doesn't have the HP to pull the taller gear. At least not in stock form. 175 true is probably typical for most stockers. Add a pipe and some mixture tuning and you might pull 180 or so.

As was stated on the other forum, it takes pretty close to 200 RWHP to get over 200 mph with the Blackbird for various reasons, mostly aerodynamics. Most stockers are somewhere around 135 RWHP with guys with pipes and mixture tuning in the low to mid 140's.

The calculation is pretty simple to do. If 140 RWHP results in a HP limited speed of 180 mph, to go 200 mph you need 200/180 cubed x your orginal HP, discounting things like rolling resistance and other minor factors.

So 200/180=1.111. That number cubed is 1.3717 x 140=192.04 RWHP close enough for govt. work.

The bike is geared for top speed from the factory, with the stock or slightly more than stock power level. The bike was Honda's "top speed" bike. Why would they restrict the top speed with gearing? Especially when the direction you're talking about going will yield longer engine life and better gas mileage?

and Yes, this is the same answer as on the "premier" XX forum on this question...

Mike

Changing the gearing is easy.. Making the HP isn't...

If you really just want to do 200MPH now and again look into a NOS system, with the right gears and the shot of nos you should be able to do it. I'm sure it will require some tuning to get there.

Appreciate all the info guys. So basically changing sprockets will do nothing, at all, unless I have the horseys to pull it through that?

Thanks again, :icon_biggrin:

Mark

It won't do anything for your top speed, but it will net you better gas mileage, and almost unchanged preformance, down in the real world, along with making it so you can downshift into first gear in switchbacks without the jerking and VERY touchy on/off throttle in first gear that you get with the stock front sprocket... Search "18t sprocket" in the Garage, and there are several threads...

Mike

The bike is geared for top speed from the factory, with the stock or slightly more than stock power level. The bike was Honda's "top speed" bike. Why would they restrict the top speed with gearing? Especially when the direction you're talking about going will yield longer engine life and better gas mileage?

and Yes, this is the same answer as on the "premier" XX forum on this question...

Mike

:icon_lmao: :icon_whistle:

One of my mates in New Orleans has a 37 tooth back sprocket, it's slower than mine on acceleration, but he goes past me about 160 and carries on!!

Is this bike the same year? The FI bikes have ram air,which helps about those speeds, and they also have a different header than the carb bikes...

Mike

One of my mates in New Orleans has a 37 tooth back sprocket, it's slower than mine on acceleration, but he goes past me about 160 and carries on!!

MMMMMMMMM Maybe he has bigger balls :icon_evilgrin::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_wink:

My 12r has 18-46 stock and a 28.5" tire,that gearing is good for 205mph. I have a few mods done to the bike, it dynoed 175 at the wheel and I removed the limiter(which is set to 186mph) the best I got with a tail wind was 191.4 mph. Some of the anwsers are correct in this post, I need prob another 10-15 hp to break the 200 mark. I was going to try something like that with the Bird but it was going to take to much $. A NOS kit for $400 is prob. the best anwser I could give. But remember you'll prob. only go that fast 2 or 3 times and it will scare the shit outa you. Things happen way to fast at that speed, I'm done with the topspeed runs...

But remember you'll prob. only go that fast 2 or 3 times and it will scare the shit outa you. Things happen way to fast at that speed, I'm done with the topspeed runs...

You're a girl.

180 RWHP will give you 200mph with the correct gearing - proven fact.

Getting your bird to push 180 RWHP is another matter. Be prepared to fork out a lot of hard earned and as was said previously, you'll probably only ever do 200mph a few times because you need a set of balls the size of melons to do it regularly. Roads that you thought were pretty smooth suddenly turn into ploughed fields, you only skip over the surface, maybe touching it every 50 foot or so... but it's fun :icon_cool:

you'll probably only ever do 200mph a few times because you need a set of balls the size of melons to do it regularly. Roads that you thought were pretty smooth suddenly turn into ploughed fields, you only skip over the surface, maybe touching it every 50 foot or so... but it's fun :icon_cool:

What color is the sky in your world? :icon_rolleyes:

Touching the ground every 50ft or so? I've been there, and it isn't like what you describe at all. At no time was the bike airborne, and it was rock stable.

Visual comprehension was something entirely different, however :icon_eek:

My 12r has 18-46 stock and a 28.5" tire,that gearing is good for 205mph. I have a few mods done to the bike, it dynoed 175 at the wheel and I removed the limiter(which is set to 186mph) the best I got with a tail wind was 191.4 mph. Some of the anwsers are correct in this post, I need prob another 10-15 hp to break the 200 mark. I was going to try something like that with the Bird but it was going to take to much $. A NOS kit for $400 is prob. the best anwser I could give.

But remember you'll prob. only go that fast 2 or 3 times and it will scare the shit outa you.

Things happen way to fast at that speed, I'm done with the topspeed runs...

I like it. Your post that is, all except for the part where you assume he'll get scared....

PS. The Speed is irrelevant... the conditions of your surroundings and the abilities of your bike and yourself are all that matter. :icon_wink:

My 12r has 18-46 stock and a 28.5" tire,that gearing is good for 205mph. I have a few mods done to the bike, it dynoed 175 at the wheel and I removed the limiter(which is set to 186mph) the best I got with a tail wind was 191.4 mph. Some of the anwsers are correct in this post, I need prob another 10-15 hp to break the 200 mark. I was going to try something like that with the Bird but it was going to take to much $. A NOS kit for $400 is prob. the best anwser I could give.

But remember you'll prob. only go that fast 2 or 3 times and it will scare the shit outa you.

Things happen way to fast at that speed, I'm done with the topspeed runs...

I like it. Your post that is, all except for the part where you assume he'll get scared....

PS. The Speed is irrelevant... the conditions of your surroundings and the abilities of your bike and yourself are all that matter. :icon_wink:

Thank you ... You are correct in what you say... I think afew people should check out some other boards like labusas, or ZX.org... just to see how hard it really is to go 200mph... I have a friend on one of the boards that has 204 hp in his Busa and still cannot break 200. 198.98mph... there are just so many factors, yes on paper gearing/HP/ ect.. It should work...... And about scareing the crap outa someone.. You would not be human if it didn't scare the shit out of you....Ok if your at Bonniville Flats no prob... But have you ever hit a pice of wood on the Hwy. at 290? A million things run in my head at that speed...And if it doesint scare you to think that it could be all over in a blink of an eye at speed well Gods Speed....

Your full of shit! Theres no way 180rwhp will get you to 200 on a XX! Chris and Forrest have been there done that!

Hell the AMA Superbikes are putting out 200+ rwhp and at Daytona there only hitting low to mid 190's and they have 3/4 mile to get there(which is more than enough space), 100+mph run at the banking and straight.

You might be able to BS those that dont know, but we DO KNOW the truth about what can and can not be done with the XX!

Your full of shit! Theres no way 180rwhp will get you to 200 on a XX! Chris and Forrest have been there done that!

Hell the AMA Superbikes are putting out 200+ rwhp and at Daytona there only hitting low to mid 190's and they have 3/4 mile to get there(which is more than enough space), 100+mph run at the banking and straight.

You might be able to BS those that dont know, but we DO KNOW the truth about what can and can not be done with the XX!

+1 :icon_clap:

Someone else who doesn't know his arse from his elbow :icon_duh:

Suggest you do some calculations, 198 flywheel bhp is sufficient to push the bike to 200 with the correct gearing but if you're unable to use a calculator (judging from your last post, that wouldn't surprise me) then do a little research into the V+M blackbird (if you know how to use google)

Someone else who doesn't know his arse from his elbow :icon_duh:

Suggest you do some calculations, 198 flywheel bhp is sufficient to push the bike to 200 with the correct gearing but if you're unable to use a calculator (judging from your last post, that wouldn't surprise me) then do a little research into the V+M blackbird (if you know how to use google)

Hey, if it's a proven fact, it's a proven fact... who proved it, when, and where?

BTW, what formula are you using to add in rolling resistance, with all of your... um... ability to punch numbers with your fingers?

Mike

LMFAO... I've just been looking for proof for you BDAZ XX but it seems you already found it. You posted the same shit on another forum... you honestly believe that half a mile should be sufficient to reach 200mph?

Maybe it would be a good idea to check out some land speed records then come back and post your findings before you start accusing people of being full of shit. Just because you choose to believe that 200mph isn't 200mph unless it's done at daytona or whatever track you're talking about, doesn't mean you have to spout bullshit to me about your perception of speed.

The bikes you're talking about aren't geared for top speed, they're race bikes ffs... fookin part time bikers, i've shit em!

bartonmd, V+M proved it when they got their hands on the XX and upped the output to 180RWHP but you don't have to take my word for it, do a little research of your own.