CBR1100XX.org Forum

High Blood Pressure -- fyi

CALCXX

2 hours ago, TFT said:

Foods that can help lower high BP. 

My doctor said to look at the menus from Waffle House, Denny's, Texas Roadhouse, and Dominos, and remove all that from your intake.  Done.

The huge beet juice statistic is wild.  I wonder what it tastes like.

Potassium is easy.  Throw out your container of sodium salt.  Buy a container of "No Salt" potassium chloride.  Look at the canned foods on the lower shelves from non-mainstream brands, where you will find no-salt or low-salt options.  PLUS!!  Most of the name brands have a shitload of water in the can, where low-cost brands like Sprouts are not only salt free, they are packed with product all the way to the top.  

Beans and garlic...yum.

Quinoa, one of their recommendations, is not super palatable for some people.  BUT...mix about 1/3 quinoa with 2/3 rice of various types and it's great.  It's actually better than just rice.  Cook on the "brown" setting in your rice maker or Instant Pot.

Toasted walnuts are excellent on a salad, on non-dairy yogurt, etc.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've been fortunate to have normal blood pressure.  It's a bit higher now that I'm not nearly as fit as when I was younger, but it's still in the normal range.

Many people with high pressure come down to normal with a good diet, I wonder if a good diet would drop mine below norm.  I'm pretty sure that at least 90% of my intake is all bad things.

Most people with normal range BP don't see a massive change, just "more normal."  I was always 129/85 to 130/87 before the massive diet change, and now nearly always right at 125/85 or 127/86.  At 130 the doctor says "you don't want it any higher" and now it's "perfect."

On 1/31/2023 at 2:59 PM, SwampNut said:

Potassium is easy.  Throw out your container of sodium salt.

I thought this was somewhat interesting.

It may seem counterintuitive, but a new study review suggests that consuming too little salt could be harmful to heart failure patients.

Doctors currently recommend a low-sodium diet to lower blood pressure and avoid fluid buildup and swelling, which can be common symptoms for heart failure. The condition develops when the heart muscle becomes too weak or stiff to effectively pump blood to the rest of the body.

But the new meta-analysis of nine randomized, controlled trials found that restricting dietary sodium intake below the standard recommended maximum of about 2.3 grams per day did not bring additional benefits, and it also may increase the risk of death.

The findings will be presented March 5 at the American College of Cardiology's annual meeting, in New Orleans.

"Our findings showed that restricting dietary sodium to less than the usual recommendation was counterproductive in the management of heart failure," said study lead author Dr. Anirudh Palicherla, an internal medicine resident at Creighton University School of Medicine in Omaha, Nebraska.

"Limiting sodium is still the way to go to help manage heart failure, but the amount of restriction has been up for debate," Palicherla said in a meeting news release. "This study shows that the focus should be on establishing a safe level of sodium consumption, instead of overly restricting sodium."

While the average American eats about 3.4 grams of sodium daily, U.S. Dietary Guidelines recommend limiting that to 2.3 grams daily or less. That's a little less than 1 teaspoon of table salt.

The nine trials assessed different levels of sodium for a total of nearly 3,500 people with heart failure and included data on rates of death and hospitalization. Most of those trials were conducted between 2008 and 2022.

Researchers found that patients following a diet with a sodium intake target below 2.5 grams per day were 80% more likely to die than those following a diet with a target of 2.5 grams per day or more.  More here

Oddly worded.  They cite "target" range, but not actual?  It's super easy to hit 2 grams of sodium without ever even seeing the salt container, as everything we buy is full of it, unless you go out of your way to avoid it.  It's been broadly known that you will die if you get too little sodium since it's a critical part of various systems in your body.  That's not news.  But the number of Americans deficient in sodium would be ridiculously tiny.

Hah, I just went to go read the actual article and figure out why your quote sounded very off.  Newsmax.  LOL

My pressure spikes MASSIVELY at the doctor's office.  Always has.  Byproduct of a childhood doctor known as "Shoot'em up" where no matter what you were getting a shot, and you know as a kid you did NOT want to get a shot.  I could care less now in my conscious mind but my subconscious mind tells my body to go into flight mode.  131/75 at home, last time it was 30 points higher on the top AND bottom at the doctor.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Furbird said:

My pressure spikes MASSIVELY at the doctor's office.  Always has.  Byproduct of a childhood doctor known as "Shoot'em up" where no matter what you were getting a shot, and you know as a kid you did NOT want to get a shot.  I could care less now in my conscious mind but my subconscious mind tells my body to go into flight mode.  131/75 at home, last time it was 30 points higher on the top AND bottom at the doctor.

Lol. So true. Usually.

My last DOT exam I had to wait two hrs in line. It was late afternoon. By the time it was my turn I was in "gotta the a nap immediately" mode and was literally falling on my face.

115/65. 

• 1 year later...

So I went for a check up today and the doc wants me to take and log blood pressure readings for the next two weeks and let her know.  If my numbers are too bad she said she’d likely put me on some meds.  

HOW DO I DROP MY BP IN TWO WEEKS?!!

7 minutes ago, Nova Scotia Mike said:

So I went for a check up today and the doc wants me to take and log blood pressure readings for the next two weeks and let her know.  If my numbers are too bad she said she’d likely put me on some meds.  

HOW DO I DROP MY BP IN TWO WEEKS?!!

Remove as much sodium from your diet as you can.  Remove or very significantly reduce processed food and processed oil usage.

I hope you're using this as a sign to improve your health and not to "cheat" your own doctor.

• Like 1

Watch for sneaky salt.  Canned products are terrible about excess salt, and most processed foods.  Premade soups can be ultra retarded.  I just saw some that had 80% of what you should consume, in one serving.  The "lightly salted" nuts are quite low, but many everyday versions are pretty loaded.  And the flavored nuts are the worst.

46 minutes ago, Nova Scotia Mike said:

1/4 cup of almonds weekdays for lunch

It is recommended to eat no more than exactly that amount per day.  Their high selenium content is linked with hypertension (high BP) and hyperlipidemia, in high amounts.  While almonds are considered heart-healthy, maybe being on the very high end of the recommended amount is causing high selenium.  I'd ask for that to be tested.

Research indicates that high serum selenium concentrations are associated with higher blood pressure levels and an increased prevalence of hypertension

. Studies have shown a U-shaped relationship between selenium exposure and cardiovascular risk, with elevated blood pressure levels observed at high selenium concentrations

. While selenium is an essential micronutrient with antioxidant properties, it is crucial to maintain a balance in its intake as excessive levels may have adverse effects on blood pressure regulation.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nova Scotia Mike said:

Cool thanks I’ll give that a try. 

Not trying to cheat, had no idea it was medication needed high. I don’t put salt on anything but I do eat a 1/4 cup of almonds weekdays for lunch. Will have to look close at my intake….

Lay off the weed 

• Haha 1

No more anything marijuana, alcohol or sodium. Eat fiber and lean protein. No soda and reduce your intake of sugar too. 

Go for a long walk daily….

Go to bed early and get a good solid rest. 

This will all help. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, XXBirdSlapper said:

Lay off the weed 

so it ain’t so, Dr. Slappy! It’s one of the only things I have to look forward to these days.

3 hours ago, DaveK said:

No more anything marijuana, alcohol or sodium. Eat fiber and lean protein. No soda and reduce your intake of sugar too. 

Go for a long walk daily….

Go to bed early and get a good solid rest. 

This will all help. 

Mary Jane will be an adjustment, but I really don’t think I consume that much alcohol or sodium. I think my fibres been good for a while I do eat decent protein and I drink next to no soda and very little sweets. I do have to up my walking game and my sleep has been the shits lately.

Thanks for the info.

I actually dusted a home blood pressure monitor last night after the doctors appointment and took three readings that were all very close to 120/80. I do think the cuff on it is a little large for my arm and I should go down a size. I drove around to two drugstores last night but none of them had the smaller size. It makes me wonder if the reading the doctor took in the office yesterday was one on a cuff that didn’t fit me properly either . We pick up a new monitor cuff shortly to see if it makes a difference. 

9 hours ago, XXBirdSlapper said:

• 2 weeks later...

You guys want to see my numbers so far? 

In the near two weeks since my appointment I have not been able to walk as much as I meant to or drink as much water as I intended to. I have cut back on the Mary Jane a fair bit but I have consumed a bit more alcohol than I normally do. My week day food intake has been healthier but my weekend consumption is less improved.

I did switch monitors early on, the one I started with was too big for my arm and I'm pretty sure it was giving me slightly better numbers than reality. The newer monitor I've switched too does fit me properly but I'm finding that testing is finicky at best ... have to wait after caffeine, have to wait after walking. have to have the cuff on the right place and at the right tension ... off a smidge on this stuff and the numbers reflect it.

My numbers are high but I don't know if it's "medication needed" high or not. I would say I have no feelings/symptoms I can notice, I realize they call it the silent killer. It's just a number on the monitor to me. I cross my fingers and press start.

Blood pressure log

2024-03-19

8:30pm

134/77

123/77, 78

119/78, 80

2024-03-20

12:15pm 159/97, 80

12:19pm 156/96, 79

Physio

8:34pm 151/86, 77

8:42pm 125/80, 74