Jump to content
CBR1100XX.org Forum

Spark plug wrench


Recommended Posts

Just buy the correct size in a deep socket and have one of those mini magnet probes.  I’ve used that over a spark plug wrench for years.  For tightening, I gently unscrew until I feel the thread alignment pop…then gently hand tighten.  You’ll know right away if something is amiss.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, superhawk996 said:

?

It's an old trick to prevent cross-threading. Gently rotating the socket counterclockwise while aligned vertically will let you feel when the plug's leading thread drops a tiny bit into alignment with the head's first thread gap. It's subtle, and requires a deft touch, but it does work.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, ironmike said:

It's an old trick to prevent cross-threading. Gently rotating the socket counterclockwise while aligned vertically will let you feel when the plug's leading thread drops a tiny bit into alignment with the head's first thread gap. It's subtle, and requires a deft touch, but it does work.


I’m glad I’m not the only one who knows that trick.  Works great when you have to thread a bolt by feel because you don’t have a good line of sight.  Mostly, I do this installing oil filters where I’m lucky to just get my hand in place.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, ironmike said:

It's an old trick to prevent cross-threading. Gently rotating the socket counterclockwise while aligned vertically will let you feel when the plug's leading thread drops a tiny bit into alignment with the head's first thread gap. It's subtle, and requires a deft touch, but it does work.

Ahhh.  Yea, I've done it on some stuff.  It's not something I'd think about with a BB spark plug since it would take effort to cross thread it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

Do you really foresee changing a plug on the road?

Not in the next 20 or so years. :)

If I decide to sell one of the bikes I would want to give the new owner a spark plug wrench.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

LOL

 

Can't imagine anyone having an extra one laying around as a spare.

 

Myself, as well as all my buddies keep a socket set on board, as well as a spark plug swivel socket

 

Easy Peasy  :rolleyes:

Edited by lordzarkon
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Fuck it. I have 2 sets of tools. I’ll send you one. It’s not like I am picky about shit like that. The lack of a plug wrench will not affect the sake of either of my bikes once I am gone. Never used either of them so what’s the point? PM your address and I will get around to it soon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, RXX said:

Fuck it. I have 2 sets of tools. I’ll send you one. It’s not like I am picky about shit like that. The lack of a plug wrench will not affect the sake of either of my bikes once I am gone. Never used either of them so what’s the point? PM your address and I will get around to it soon.

I think Joe already took care of him as per a couple of posts up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, but the shed door is frozen shut and I haven't been able to get in there. I think yesterday was the first day in two weeks that it hasn't been below zero at some point every 24 hours.  If Tom's in a hurry, Philip can send these off.  Garage door, shed door, and back door to the house are frozen solid.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, rockmeupto125 said:

Yeah, but the shed door is frozen shut and I haven't been able to get in there. I think yesterday was the first day in two weeks that it hasn't been below zero at some point every 24 hours.  If Tom's in a hurry, Philip can send these off.  Garage door, shed door, and back door to the house are frozen solid.

Did you move in with Bill?  :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

LOL!!!!


Having lived out west, there IS a difference.  I’d sunbathe in freezing weather because the sun was out, and no breeze.  Like an air conditioned tanning bed.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/3/2022 at 5:33 AM, rockmeupto125 said:

Yeah, but the shed door is frozen shut and I haven't been able to get in there. I think yesterday was the first day in two weeks that it hasn't been below zero at some point every 24 hours.  If Tom's in a hurry, Philip can send these off.  Garage door, shed door, and back door to the house are frozen solid.

I’m in no hurry. Not selling either bike in the near future. Thanks again for the offer. 

 

On 2/3/2022 at 4:15 AM, RXX said:

Fuck it. I have 2 sets of tools. I’ll send you one. It’s not like I am picky about shit like that. The lack of a plug wrench will not affect the sake of either of my bikes once I am gone. Never used either of them so what’s the point? PM your address and I will get around to it soon.

Thanks for the offer but Joe has me covered. I’m just very anal about stuff like that, I like to have a complete set just in case.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use