CBR1100XX.org Forum

Would any of you?

xxxbirdxxx

There's companies out there that widen stock rims. Can't help you with names as that isn't really my bag, but I see their ads in the backs of magazines all the time.

Ducati uses a 190 on a 5.5" rim, and magazines hate it.

I'd try a 190/55, but they're only available by two manufacturers, and expensive.

If I was going to buy new wheels, I'd buy 6" rear, and go to the 190.

The back tire on my bird looks really skinny when it is parked next to my Suzuki TL (which has a 190 on a 6" rim), but Ill take function over looks every time. The Suzuki actually handles a little quicker when you mount up a 180.

I'm fixing to plop a 190 on the back of mine for drag racing. I've done enough corner carving :roll: and am deciding to go straight line with mine. With the bike lowered, I don't think a 190 is going to hurt me anyway :lol:

That's easy..... just remove your's

They're not that bad. He welded in baffles at the ends of the stock header and I believe he also modified the crossover pipe to act as some sort of resonator. He's have to tell you exactly what he did, but it wasn't a simple as just bolting on the little ends you see.

End result is pretty well thought out and executed. It is loud, but not as loud as you'd assume looking at the pics. Not too far above Nik's D&Ds on the obnoxious scale.

Just read about this subject recently. Putting on a larger tire without a corresponding increase in rim width can alter handling characteristics, but more importantly WILL cause the tire to have an even tighter radius (squeezed on to the rim, per se).

It may look "cooler", but at the expense of a decrease in the size of the contact patch of the tire to the road.

i too have thought about putting on a larger tire.

it looks like a tight squeeze to me. i can see a 190 fitting but not so sure about a 200. if someone has a 200 on theirs i would love to see a pic.

as for checking on the rim size... does anyone have a link to where it tells you what rim size you need for certain size tires (i.e. chart)? i had a 200 series on my chopper but i cant remember the rim size or where i figured out what size i needed(damn memory). it looked awesome on the chop but i understand the performance aspect of the xx is a helluva lot more important(i dig the curves). but still it would look cool.