CBR1100XX.org Forum

What has failed on your XX?

silverbird1100

'97 with 50,196 miles on it----CCT & Regulator/Rectifier at about 36K which was about 3 years ago. Also a wire on the starter switch that cuts out the headlights when cranking, broke. The vacuum line to the petcock went out about the same time----when it was about 8 years old. Runs real good now. Happy trails kel

'03 with 36k: CCT at about 10k, stator, R/R, and battery (taken out

when stator and R/R went) at about 25k.

36K on my 97

Rubber Band

CCT replaced just to be sure

R/R swapped to R1 " " "

Nothing else :icon_whistle:

65k miles on the 97', only major failure the stator... other than that, replaced the cct before it failed. Many tires, 4 chains, 3 sets of sprockets, fork seals, lots of different fluids....

Charging system at 48K

What toolkit?

I have owned my bird for a few years now and granted I have replaced just about everything thought nothing has failed, not even the rubber tool strap, though its new because it didnt have one when I bought it so maybe it failed on the previous owner and he was too cheap to replace it.

02' 24k miles

I replaced the battery the night before WVEXXT this yr, just because it was 6 yrs old..

had to tighten a radiator hose clamp once. I got 3 drops of antifreeze on the ground and nearly fainted that I had to actually fix something..

other than that nothing, i even checked the rubber band strap to see if it had some dryrot on it and nothing..

I just put gas in, change oil, tires often, lube stuff that needs it and do your basic air filter spark plug check/changes and go riding..

Has anyone had an 02 or 03 rectifier fail? Or even a 99'? They but a bigger one in there and I guess they worked better but wondering how long they go/

Also, amazing no one has ever had a cooling system problem or even a fuel pump

I would have to imagine if there was this same topic on ever other bike site ours would have the least amount of problems with respect to how many miles XX get put on them.

38K current miles on '03...you know :icon_rolleyes: the black one...

34K Stator failure - warranty

32K Fork dust wipers failure - warranty

Major wear items:

On 3rd chain

3rd front sprocket

2nd rear sprocket (using OEM again now)

replaced steering head bearings

Using 6th rear tire now and 5th front IIRC

Replaced battery with 14A when stator failed

Worries:

HID's flicker slightly when signals are active...I think this is indicating a poor stator again...won't be warranty by the time it fails :icon_banghead: again...

Imminent failure of tool kit strap suspected. Dry rot cracks starting to show. I'm going to push it to the ragged edge though... I'm just :icon_duh: like that...

'99 with 45K on it (8,000 miles since 6/9/08)

*replaced CCT

everything else could be considered maintenance or replacement due to low speed drops

:icon_redface:

~73300km (~41000km from me) :icon_biggrin:

Since I have had it I have replaced the battery and the RR (the battery may have been OK but replaced it before finding out the RR was stuffed :icon_surprised: )

The rubber tool belt strap has just broken, I replaced the rear shock with a 900RR one and upgraded spring because the damping had gone and just recently had the RH fork seal go but was replacing the forks and springs anyway :icon_surprised:

Replaced the Steering Head Bearings with tapered at the same time for the hell of it :icon_whistle:

I think the CCT may have been replaced by the PO as it has 2 green dots :icon_confused: The chain and sprockets are due for replacement and have been changed before, a RH lower was replaced by the PO due to a drop :icon_rolleyes:

Several sets of tyres and brake pads but I consider chains, tyres and pads general maintenance :icon_surprised:

I may have to replace either the flasher unit or the LH switch sometime as the indicators are intermittant or slow to activate in cold weather (OK in warmer weather so may be the FU :icon_confused: )

Worries:

HID's flicker slightly when signals are active...I think this is indicating a poor stator again...won't be warranty by the time it fails :icon_banghead: again...

http://www.electrosport.com/street/street-...treet_46650.php

Replaced mine with that, much better than OEM, and more power... with high-beams on and heated liner/gloves it will stay of 13 Volts all day long.

Also, check your stator harness... mine melted a few weeks after putting in the new stator. The plastic melted into the wire and because of the resistance had a huge power drop. Had to rig up a better connection. Worth a look anyway.

Current XX, 78k miles....

At ~67k the stator failed, replaced the stator and the regulator/rectifier.

Tool kit bag fell apart. Tool strap still intact.

Seat Latch fell apart at 30k or so. Locttite is your friend.

Ignition key has been flakey on occasion. That reminds me.. I need to lube it again.

Previous 02 XX, 57kk miles....

Seat Latch fell apart at 15k or so. Replaced under warranty.

Ignition key would not turn. Ignition and all locks replaced under warranty.

Everything else has been consumables or me not doing something right (like the pin hanger in the rear caliper which wasn't torqued right)

'00 with 31k

2 ccts, one of which wasn't necessary (Thanks Hobi!)

& the wax element was not setting cold idle correctly a few years back.

Everything else has been oil, tires, bulbs, & brakes. Got 29k & change out of the stock pads. Thought that was pretty good...

CCT and low beam bulb, also once in Maryland the bike refused to start. I was gonna post my problem here for help but decided to take a chance so I flipped the kill switch off myself. That seemed to resolve the problem. So far. (37,000 miles)

2 1997 XX's, each with about 22,000 miles on them. Other than consumables, battery on both, steering head bearings on one. Rubber strap on one, No CCT issues yet.

Bought both used, one with 2,026 miles on it, the other with about 12,800 miles.

I got two '99 birds. 21,500 on the first one that is now a permanent drag-bike. 34,000 on the second one which is for street and the occasional track day. Both have the updated CCT, but I can't be certain that either one was bad when replaced. Other than consumable parts, I haven't had anything go bad. I haven't done the wire loom fix and both factory batteries went for 7 years. No charging or fueling issues. I've checked valve clearances, but never had any of them close to being too tight or too loose. Don't hate me. :icon_cool:

P.S. I am a little worried about the FPR. I might replace them just for the hell of it.

Did I forget to mention that both tool straps are still good. However, I did have to replace a couple of fairing bolts that fell out because some dufus forgot to tighten them. :icon_whistle:

'97 XX w/~60K miles, bought new in 5/98 (just celebrated our 10 yr. anniversary) Bike only has cosmetic and ergonomic mods, nothing mechanical.

-2 R/R's, one at 20K miles and one at 40K miles. Finally got a really good one now, don't expect further problems.

-Tool kit band busted.

-rear shock basically died but was still pretty rideable, got a Penske recently.

-several broken push-pins

-1 low beam bulb

-1 high beam bulb.

-2 or 3 dash bulbs

-rear brake caliper was pushing the pad in at an angle a few years ago, but a good cleaning and rocking the pistons in and out a bit seemed to fix it.

-replaced the CCT 2x just to be on the safe side.

LOVE THIS BIKE!!!

!997 20k here. Your guys' bike suck! My tool strap is still kickin after 10yrs!

So far I have replaced

1 cct

2 tires

1 hose clamp

6 push pins

1 Honda dimpled bolt

and I believe the driver failed within the first 200mi he owned it!

oh yeah, windshield and mirror.