CBR1100XX.org Forum

What has failed on your XX?

silverbird1100

I think this could be fairly useful to the paranoid type and also to those who don't know what's wrong with their bike. PLease list mileage.

I'll go first. 42,000miles Fork seal and stator 3 times

Stator cover gasket and battery with 52k miles. So now I am just waiting...

00 @ 61K

Toolkit rubber band and now the tool pouch itself is starting to split. :icon_frown:

Still on the oem battery but I'm thinking after 8 years it might just be good insurance to replace it here soon.

All else are consumables and I wouldn't put any blame there except I blame Redbird for all the roofing nails I have had in my tires.... :icon_lol:

38k miles.

One CCT, one chain, one set of sprockets, loose water hose clamps, many tires ( Redbird gets around).

7 years on OEM battery, I plan to change it this year too.

Brake pads at 26K, one low beam lamp.

But mine is ADULT ridden :icon_whistle: Yeah right.

And the tool rubber.

I consider brakes, chains, sprockets, bulbs, filters, and batteries to be regular maintenance. So I'll only mention other stuff. 46K on the bike.

Tool strap

Front wheel bearings 3 times (soon to be 4)

Steering stem bearings

CCT

Rear brake switch

Voltage regulator and stator (stator due to the timing of the regulator failure)

Fuel pressure regulator

IAT sensor

Wiring loom repair

Now the wheel bearings and steering stem bearings could technically be called a maintenance item too, but I go through wheel bearings about the same rate I go through front tires. I haven't figured that out yet. And they have failed independently of the tire change (not like the tire shop is doing something wrong). Maybe I'm just too fat.

The rear brake switch was a fluke as it went out right at 10k, and the replacement has given me no issues whatsoever in the 36k since then.

In all honesty, nearly all of us have had issues with the CCT and Honda should have done something about it. But I guess since it's just noisy and doesn't hurt anything, they leave it alone. The voltage regulator is notoriously bad and will put you down on the road, or cook your stator like it did mine if you don't have the option of stopping. When my fuel pressure regulator failed it completely filled the engine with gasoline, and that is one helluva mess to clean up. I think it should be manually added to everybody's maintenance schedule to replace these items about every 30K to prevent failure. I know when my bike hits between 60-70k I will be putting a fuel pressure regulator on it again and I'll switch to the Yamaha regulator long before that mark.

Do wheel bearing give a warning?

I would say from my experience no but I haven't had one replaced on my XX yet. I did have a major bearing failure while riding on hwy 17 in Norcal on my Hurricane :icon_surprised: The backend started to wobble real bad so I pulled off to find that the sprocket side bearing had let go and were dropping out of the blown out side casing of the bearing...I rode it like that for maybe 4 miles more till I found a spot to stop and call for a lift... :icon_doh: Yeah kinda stupid... :icon_redface:

30 000 miles 97 mod

Maintenance:

1 set brake pads front & back

1 set chain w/ sprockets

Battery gone after 5 years

3 push pins

Many tires

Failed:

R/R (My fault)

Petcock diaphragm

Tool kit rubber band gone

2500 miles 06 mod

Nothing..

In 34k miles the following items have failed.

Tool kit strap

2-CCT's

The front brake master cylinder had to be rebuilt.

Front brake pads were shot at 12k miles.

My '02-in 22K miles-left fork seal had to be replaced. Nothing else

My current '98 w/almost 17K miles-nothing. I got it with 14K miles though.

Question-is fairly obvious when the CCT needs to be replaced?? Does the bike just get real noisy, run rough..etc? FYI....mine does neither.

My wheel bearings start making a howling noise, most prevalent in a high speed corner. I'm going to switch to AllBalls in the front and rear this time and see if they last longer. It's only the fronts that I have a problem with, I have never replaced the rear ones at all.

CCT at around 20,000Km

4 years(32,000Km)Replaced the battery with a bigger one as the old one was starting to get weak. Most likely caused by the cold temps up here in winter, I forgot the battery in the bike over the winter... :icon_redface:

4 years(32,000Km) rubber tool strap again likely from the extreme cold.

4 sets of tires, 1 set of brake shoes, 1 chain and set sprockets

99- Just rolled over 43,000 tonite, and the only two items, beside the regular stuff that you will be replacing on any motorcyle, is like everyone else- the CCT & Rubberband.

I guess I have not been riding the bike enough. It's only got 20.5K miles on it. I have not had anything FAIL on it. Regular maintence items only.

Rear pads.

Tires.

Chain & sprockets.

Spark plugs @ 16K miles.

And the famous CCT at 12K miles. Mine wasn't that bad.

I too was wondering about the front wheel bearings and telltale signs. I have a little "growling" in the front end but I thought it was prob' the tire not the bearings.

Question-is fairly obvious when the CCT needs to be replaced?? Does the bike just get real noisy, run rough..etc? FYI....mine does neither.

I'm not sure there are many documented "failures" of the CCT, now many replace it when the noise starts becoming bothersome. I think mine is kinda noisy right now but I'm in no hurry really to replace it YMMV.

97' with almost 42,000 miles. I bought it with 16,000mi. Tool strap was gone by 20,000 mi. Battery last month, and changed the RR just because I had an R1 replacement, CCT at 25,000mi, 2nd chain and sprockets this week, last changed the originals at 16,000. 2nd set of front brakes today. That's pretty much it.