CBR1100XX.org Forum

Oil Filters for the Blackbird

jimmystartup

Here is a list of oil filters that will fit on the 97-01 Birds. It came from http://www.micapeak.com/bike/ST1300/FilterXRef.html

These motorcycles all use the same spin-on filters with 20 x 1.5mm threads, 14 psi by-pass valve, anti-drain back valve, gasket diameter approximately 2.3 inches, O.D. approximately 2.75 inches, length approximately 2.5 to 3.5 inches. If your bike has a lot of room around the oil filter, I suggest the longer models.

Motorcycle-Specific Filters.

· AC Delco PF2135 about $10.

· AMSOil SMF103, about $9.

· FRAM PH6017A about $7.

· Honda 15410-MCJ-000, about $12.

· K&N KN-204, about $13. Has a metric nut on the end for easy removal.

· NAPA Gold 1358, Carquest 85358, WIX 51358 about $7 to $8.

· Purolator Motorcycle ML16817 about $6. Imported, not made by Purolator.

· STP SMO 07, about $7.

Automobile Filters, about 2.5 inches long

· Mobil M1-108, about $12.

· Purolator Pure One PL14612 about $6.

· Bosch 3300 about $6. About 64mm, doesn't quite fit oil filter wrenches. A real pain.

· WalMart SuperTech ST6607 about $2. Made by Champion.

· AC Delco PF1237 about $6.

· NAPA Gold 1365 about $6.

· Purolator L14622 about $4.

· STP S-02876 about $3.

· Baldwin B1400.

· Hastings LF113.

Automobile Filters, about 3.25 inches long

· Bosch 3323 about $6

· Mobil 1 M1-110 about $10

· Purolator Pure One PL14610 about $6

· Purolator L14610 about $4

· NAPA Gold 1356, Carquest 85356, WIX 51356 about $6

· Deutsch D-370 about $4

· AC Delco PF-2057 about $6

· Motorcraft Long Life FL-821 about $4

· STP S-02867 about $3

· FRAM, Castrol, Penske 7317 about $3

· Baldwin B1402.

· Hastings LF240.

The AMSOIL filter is the one I chose while dynoing several times.

Seems to have done a good job, as my oil is still quite clean..

:cool: TJ :cool:

Since the XX uses the exact same oil filter as the GL1500 Goldwing, it's easiest to buy a case of 10 from one of the hundreds of places that sell Goldwing stuff.

I think that the last case of OEM filters that I bought cost around $59 or so which makes the cost of a genuine Honda oil filter $5.90 which is pretty decent.

I wouldn't even dream of using something other than a Honda oil filter on my XX. Saving a couple of bucks just isn't worth it.

No offense, but I'm pretty sure Honda does not make even their own oil filters. Even if they do, all you are getting is a 3 dollar part that they mark up to $10 and stamp Honda on it. I have been running Fram's, but now that this chart came out, I will buy the longest oil filter I can get and the best quality one. A company that makes nothing but filters is going to be a whole lot better at making them than people who build the whole friggin bike!

No offense, but I'm pretty sure Honda does not make even their own oil filters.  Even if they do, all you are getting is a 3 dollar part that they mark up to $10 and stamp Honda on it.

BUT... if that filter ever fails and the name Honda is stamped on it, I won't have a problem getting my seized motor replaced under warranty.

If you're oil filter fails and takes out your motor, then you don't replace the filter enough, and Honda will still blame you for it. There's nothing in an oil filter that could fail catastrophicly enough to take out an engine. Even if it split or ruptured, you would have serious traction issues and the oil light come on LONG before that motor let go.

But hey, if you want to keep paying Honda $10 for a $3 filter, then you go right ahead. I'll keep on using Honda GN4 oil even though people tell me I don't have to.

Ive been using cheap STP motorcycle filters on my bird for a long time. no truobles at all

I think it is a MO 17 and I use Castrol synth blend

Frequent oil changes, every 3 miles or sooner some times

1999 well over 50K miles, runs like a top

• 2 weeks later...

why are frams the worst?.. evidence? just askiing cause I have used them in my cars forever and now have one in the bird cause they are the easiest to get. but if I have some evidence to back up not to use em, I will not use em, but then again I wont take a "well billy bob said so" excuse like chevy is better than ford.. when its just personal opinion.. so.. why are frams the worst?.. thanks

Check the "FAQ" section of the main site for an excellent article on oil filters.

The Fram's are nothing more than cardboard and glue inside, whereas most quality filters use real valves, silicone gaskets and proper filtering media.

I've been using the Delco's, simply because they are easy to come by (for me), and half the price of the factory filters, as well as being a quality filter.

Plus, they're blue, like my bike. :grin:

• 2 weeks later...

There are some good oil filters...Fram is not one of them.

I restarted my RX-7 after car had been sitting for about a year,,,,oil filter exploded,,,,corroded at the base,,,,made by Fram,,,,POS.

I use Hi-Flow just because it is convenient for me.

5 bucks from Chaparral,they look and smell like O.E.M piece,even the part # is somewhat similar-HF 303. Guys from 1888fast lap claim 1-2 hp gain and superior filtering.(WHo does not ?)

Fram had a problem a few years back with the can seperateing from the base with the inevitable result of a wreck.

Happened to several bikes, with lawsuits etc.

I've been useing purolator bike filters, no probs.

With all the cross building going on, this co. makeing 3 brands of filters, who knows what you're buying. :roll: :evil: