CBR1100XX.org Forum

Average MPG

XX

What's your average mpg in non squidly riding?  

53 members have voted

1. 1.

• 15-20mpg
    • 21-25mpg
    • 26-30mpg
    • 31-35mpg
    • 36-40mpg
    • 41+mpg

I saw a post regarding mpg survey, thought i'd take this opportunity to actually post a survey :cool:

Because I believe all of us probably ride at an average maniac to mellow fairly close to one another the average mpg should work itself out.

of course we'll have the discrepancy of fi to carbed but who cares anyhow :razz:

There's a 21-25 answer.  Either your bike is seriously fucked up or you didn't read the question.  I've seen 22MPG once when I did a 145-180 run for about 30 minutes straight.

:shock: That's at least 72 to 90 miles covered!! Sheesh! I'da fallen off long ago from exhaustion. I thought my helmet was gonna get ripped off my shoulders, with my head still in the helmet, when I broke 150mph for only a few seconds! Let alone, half an hour! That blackbird may be about as aerodynamic as a bullet, but I'm only as aerodynamic as a brick...

Cheap helmet? HJC? Low-end Shoei? They tend to be bad on aerodynamics. Or do you have a Double Bubble? It's horrible aerodynamically.

That was a run from Tucson to San Diego. Made it in 4 hours, 15 minutes, but I could have broken four hours flat if I hadn't had to detour to lose a cop. I nailed it as soon as I came off the I-8 interchange and didn't go under 145 until I had to stop for gas in Gila. Held 180 for a few minutes at a time here and there.

Oh, and I got pulled over in Yuma also for doing 70 in a 65. Idiot.

Nolan, actually. The N100, flipface. I like it. Especially in the summer. My Shoei RFR got so damned hot! Being able to open the face helped relieve a lot of the heat. My next step is the Concept. I have a few other upgrades for the XX I'd like to get first.

That helmet, with the combination of the DB, probably have something to do with my wind cutting ability.

I don't remember the highway. Possibly the same one you rode on when you went to CA. But, when I left your house I took whatever it was (I-8?) towards Gila Bend. It was awesome! Hardly any cars. Almost the whole way was open road. Too bad my chain was fucked up, or I would have tried to top it out.

26-30 on most days here...  

but that's mostly city riding...  

But, there are some stretches where if you do about 30% over, you can get the lights juuuuuust right. Does that make it non-city riding?  :razz:

Yeah, I noticed that with some lights! One route in particular was when I lived in VA. The route I usually took to work was a one way street with three lanes. I don't recall how many lights there were but at the posted 30 mph, I'd hit most of the lights. But, if I were to do 45 mph I'd make every single light! :roll: Traffic engineers... Sheesh!

My '03 was getting 27 mpg for the first 800 miles, and is now getting 33 mpg, but that's a lot more highway action in the last two tanks.

The weather has been awesome here on the weekends, so I've been putting in some time. :razz:

That helmet, with the combination of the DB

Yeah, it's a combo of the helmet and DB. The DB is turbulent, and many of the cheaper helmets have a tendency to lift. I had a passenger this weekend that complained of that problem with her HJC, but I never had an issue. I did have a lift problem when I wore an RF200 briefly.

There's a 21-25 answer. Either your bike is seriously fucked up or you didn't read the question. I've seen 22MPG once when I did a 145-180 run for about 30 minutes straight.

Swampnut,

That was me...I clicked the wrong answer by mistake and couldn't fix it. I meant to click the 26-30.

Can you fix it?

damn! over 200 miles per tank?

you must be talking kilometers :shock:

i'm really happy at 170... i bet i could milk another 30 from the tank, but i always get thoughts of having push that beast wearing my leathers in this hot sunny weather to the gas station

I've not measured exactly but touring with dad this summer (him on a new goldwing) I'd stop when the odometer reached 200 miles (reserve had just starting 'blinking') and I believe it only filled 5 gallons. I felt I could go 230'ish if pushed.....

damn! over 200 miles per tank?

I have done 240 miles on the highway, steady 90-ish. I was worried at the last bit though. For my "normal" riding which is quick starts, 15 over the limit everywhere, and the occasional wheelie (I only wheelie on days that end with a "y"), I get the light predictably at 175 miles. I keep the bike (2000) in proper tune which means replacing the plugs as indicated. Mileage goes to shit if they are even just a bit older than that.

<<Marissa tome voice>> This is a trick question....no one can make it through a whole tank on the bird w/ absolutely NO squidlyness.....

how about a poll we can all answer..... :wink:

how much is left when the light goes on? Mine went on at 121 miles yesterday.....

I'm getting atrocious mileage as well. 120-140 miles on a tank around the city when it should be at least 30mpg. Oil, plugs and airfilter have been changed. Dirty fuel filter? Suggestions?

Dude...I've been getting 120 to 160 from a tank since day 1.....

seems to run fine...the plugs looked perfect when I pulled them for replacement at 8,600 mi...... I'm not worried about it....

I didn't by a Bird to expect scooter like gas mileage......just like I wouldn't expext to do 184 mph on a scooter.....Anyone getting 40 miles to the gallon on their bird, probably should have bought a scooter and saved them selves some $$......

:razz:

<<Anyone getting 40 miles to the gallon on their bird, probably should have bought a scooter and saved them selves some $$...... >>

LOL :lol:

:wink: