CBR1100XX.org Forum

Head Shake

Bullet

Has anyone expericenced steering head shake on the bird?? 65 mph on I90 set the throttle lock, went for a small strech leaving the bars unattended for 5 sec and :shock: WTF :shock: . Bitch started shaking like 100 hooker from canada. Neck bearings?? Any logical deductions?(other than the obvious, letting go of the bars.)

In addition to what Joe listed, I've found the same, but consider these:

1) road condition: asphalt or concrete, rain grooved or smooth etc etc

2) front tire condition: cupping maybe?

3) deceleration? throttle on? or cruise?

4) front tire model

I had a terrible time with a bt020 front, and as my bt057 grows older, am having the same wobble. But mainly on rain grooved white concrete at speeds between 10-50mph, and empasized upon deceleration and de-emphasized on acceleration.

If you are up to it, check your steering head adjustment, could hurt to check before spending other monies :grin:

Thursday I'm having a dealer (yes, unfortunately a dealer, hopefully it will go well) install tapered bearings from http://www.cbrbearing.com/

will let the list know the difference.

Packpack would do it for sure.

Mine does it when I have something attached to the seat.

ALSO....Front and rear tire balancing.

Mine would wobble over 100..then my dealer charged me 30 bucks to balance the tire he never balanced when I paid him 90 to install the tires. FUCKER !

Could be anything...don't assume it is the head bearings.

Dave

This happens. It's a well known phenomenon at that speed. I get it on and off when the tire wear, loading, head angle, and moon's orbit happen to align. Then it goes away by changing any one of those. I've never considered it something to worry about.

I would be curious to know if a brand new bird showed this. Or is it just because we all have so many miles on em?

You don't need a new bird. Mine is four years old, 15.400 miles, 3750 miles on Metzeler MZ4 tyres and i don't have any of that :)

a) I would try to balance the tyres first...

It seems a lot like an unbalanced wheel (as it only happens at a certain speed).

B) My second bet would be a brand new set of tyres...

I have a wobble from 40 mph to 50 mhp....  

I think its the avons... They are sending me another under warranty.

You can say what you want about the Dunlops but their quality is second to none. They balance almost perfect every time.

Tires. They are good quality but they wear strange on the front. Put a new front tire on and I bet the problem goes away. Is the aggrivation worth a $100 bill and some change? It is to me.

With a relatively new and properly inflated front tire I can ride for literally miles with my hands off the bars and no hint of any shake.

But if the tire is worn or not inflated to the correct pressure the the front shakes like a pubescent belly dancer.

would need for alignment cause the handlebars to be turned 1-2 degrees one direction or the other?

if thre is need for alignment, are we talking about aligning the rear sprocket in the chain? or something else?