CBR1100XX.org Forum

Front end vibration

NORDBIRD

First, two occurances of note. I replace my brake pads over the weekend, a 15 min job. Noticed that the left front inner pad was worn almost to metal. The rest were down to around a couple of milimeters. Also, 2 weeks ago the biked tipped over from the centerstand. But I hadn't noticed any control problems after that. The problem occured at around 45mph, I took my hands off the bars to straighten my gloves and the shake began. Pretty violent, but I grabbed the bars and held them steady. The shake dissapeared. Got it to happen once more at about 25mph right after that, but couldn't make it do it again. What's up with that? As I looked thru the previous messages, could my new Corbin hard bags really have that much affect...

45 MPH wobbles are a common phenomenon. They don't always happen, but a certain combo of tire wear, weight distribution, and road surface will do it. Also, worn/out of adjustment steering head bearings will make it worse.

Maxx...I bought the bike with 11,000. It now has 14000 tires could possibly be original. So I guess my question is answered, but do you think I should put the originals on it (Michelin battlax).

Most tires last between 3,000-6,000 miles on the XX. I am guessing you ment Bridgestone Battalax's or Michelin Macadam 90X's (if it is the Michelins, they are probably not stock). Tires really depend on what you are going to do. I run Metzeler Sprotec M1's around MN but when I go on a long haul, I will run the Metzeler MEz4's and my next run, I will probably try the Avons (guys are getting a lot of miles from them). The M1's are very sticky but I burn up a rear tire in 3,000 miles, no matter how I ride it. If you look at your front (and it is a bridgestone) my guess it is cupped really bad (they are notorious for this). That would be my guess as to the problem.

Do you have tire tools there at NAPA??? If not, we can order tires online and I can put them on for you. No that I think about it, I have some spark plugs coming into the NAPA up in Elk River, wonder if they came in yet???????

Mac

Uh...Battlax is made by Bridgestone. I doubt the tires could be original with 14k. The stock tires go no more than 8-9k. They suck, too. Stock tires in the US were D205 or BT57. In other countries (don't think we got any in the US), they also used the Michelin 100x.

Which tire? Well, I'm the Avon posterboy around here, but nearly everybody who tries them likes them.

Uh...Battlax is made by Bridgestone.  I doubt the tires could be original with 14k.  The stock tires go no more than 8-9k.  They suck, too.  Stock tires in the US were D205 or BT57.  In other countries (don't think we got any in the US), they also used the Michelin 100x.

Which tire?  Well, I'm the Avon posterboy around here, but nearly everybody who tries them likes them.

Umm... excuse me Swampy :wink: , I have those tires(BT57)with 21,500 miles on them :cool: . They are definatley ready tho. Cupped and bald.

21,500 is UNBELIEVABLY good mileage out of a motorcyle tire. I've never even heard of anyone claim to get nearly that many miles, that is until now. Is anyone else getting this kind of mileage?

Joe