CBR1100XX.org Forum

Front sprocket damper ?

davesXX01

Hey all, I know that the sprocket isn't causing my original problem, I just don't want to add any more noise to it. I do have a couple of kinks in my chain so I'm going to change both.

Ideally, you want to change chain/sprockets as a match set anyway (just as a sound, preventative maintenance practice), though I know a number of folks who don't do this....

Warchild, it looks like you have all the answers we are looking for as you have both in front of you! U da man  :grin:  

Anything more you can tell us about them? More specs?

Dave

I'll photo and measure the two sprockets some more tonight...

Just forget about the rubber thingy. When you install new sprockets of course you want to use a new chain. This is a given.

Dave, just forget about the rubber thingy. Get a new setup, align the sprockets and adjust the chain correctly. Your bike will be smooth as silk. Excess driveline vibration is from a worn or poorly adjusted chain.

The RC has a rubber thingy on the oem sprocket. If you're looking at one that doesn't, it's not oem.

Thanks all, so far:

929 not dampened

954 dampened

RC51 dampened

Dale's bike was a 929, and that's the dampened sprocket he took pics of.

OZ, order an OEM 929 front sprocket. 16T, and dampened, but only from Honda.

Guest rockmeupto125

Edited to caution the reader that I am entirely incorrect, and should be ignored. Post is left only to demonstrate my ignorance. :oops:

I'm finally reading this closely.......and find myself quite confused.

Dale posted a picture with his 17 tooth XX sprocket on the left, and his 16 tooth 929 sprocket on the right. He measured them, but didn't describe them as dampened (rubber) or undampened.

The sprocket on the right, 16T/929, is NOT a dampened sprocket. There is rust discoloration on the area where the rubber should be, and there is clearly stamped "16T" also where the rubber should be. It CAN'T be a dampened sprocket.

This jives with what Dave reported.......the 929 is an undampened sprocket.

The purpose of the dampened sprocket is the same as the cush drive rubbers in the rear hub.......to soften the on/off power, and take a little of the jolt and wear off the system. It has the added effect of quieting the system, and reducing wear. The rubber of the sprocket acts as sort of a gimbal mount that can make up for minute differences in angle of the chain drive.

The first pic Dale posted shows a better pic of the sprocket, with markings in the rubber damper from the chain links.

As far as I know, the damper is just a rubber coating on each side of the sprocket, to push against the chain as it passes over the sprocket, reducing noise.

I'll try to find my old one today, and cut it apart for further inspection.

The sprocket on the right, 16T/929, is NOT a dampened sprocket. There is rust discoloration on the area where the rubber should be, and there is clearly stamped "16T" also where the rubber should be. It CAN'T be a dampened sprocket.

Big negative, my brother. It is indeed a dampened sprocket.

The rust powder was just thoroughly masking the rubber damper, is all.

Here is that same procket that has been cleaned of all the corrosion powder, and the digital camera set to "macro". The rubber damper is pretty evident now:

16T_sprocket1.jpg

Here's the head-on shot, where you can plainly see where the links have been leaving their impression upon the rubber damper portion of the sprocket:

16T_sprocket2.jpg

Rockmeup, I'm sorry, I copied my notes backward and have edited that post.

Warchild, any further diferences in the splined area?

I have no problem ordering either the 929 or RC51 sprocket to test. I just want to do it soon so I can get riding again!

Big thank you to ALL, very helpfull.

Dave

I'm thinking, based in the photos below, that you might as well at least try experimenting with the 16T 929 front sprocket....

Here is the XX sprocket, which I am measuring out to be a pretty consistant 8.5mm in width:

XX_splinewidth.jpg

And here is the 929 sprocket, also a consistant 8.5mm width:

929_splinewidth.jpg

Finally, even though my fingers can't keep them aligned for the photo, the inner splines match up very well:

spline_comparo.jpg

To throw a monkey wrench in the works, hope u hav'nt order the sprocket yet without considering the 16t front on the 98-2003 of the vfr800fi i will be ordering that sprocket for my 99 this week i read it somewhere months ago that it is perfect for the bird,to do want you are asking.sorry if im late.

Guess I will find out when I take it all apart, so the RC51 is different afterall?

lexxus, the reason I didn't ask about the VFR 98-up is that my Dennis Kirk catalog shows it as a 17t front, could be a typo in their catalog though.

Warchild, did you ever get a chance to measure the spline thickness?

Dave

Warchild, did you ever get a chance to measure the spline thickness?

Dave

That's what I've been wondering about since my first post since that is what will dictate whether the sprocket "floats" on the shaft. Also the offset of the gear teeth to the splines (eg. whether the gear is centered over the splines or offset in or out) may be different between models and this would change alignment of the chain (although marginally). The BB sprocket seems to have an equal offset on both sides (splines are indented from the outer edge of the gear teeth equally on both sides). FWIW, I came up with the same 14.5mm thickness at the splines.

Thanks for the bump, it's a good thing that I stumbled on this thread. I had the shop install a new DID x-ring chain and AFAM sprockets for me because I chose to be lazy... when I got the bike I noticed a little extra "whirring." Gear noise like I've always heard out of the bike in first gear, except now it was noticable all the way up into fifth gear.

I was starting to think something was wrong. Now I know it's normal.

The thickness of the inner splines on a stock front sprocket on a 2003 Blackbird is 14.5mm and for a RC51 (Honda part # 23801-ML7-920) is 16.8mm. Has anyone measured the inner spline width of a 929 or 800?

Haven't mic'ed one but the stock 800 front sprocket looked 1-2mm narrower.