CBR1100XX.org Forum

Front sprocket damper ?

davesXX01

I measured my old 17T Bird OEM sprocket and also got 14.5mm (maybe closer to 15mm) at the spline and 19mm including the rubber damper.

Warchild measured the width of the teeth at 8.5mm (not including the rubber damper) - I reckon that measurement should be standard for any 530 sprocket.

The width of the spline is probably the important one. When I replaced my sprocket, I think there was about 2mm play up and down the gearbox shaft. I would be guessing that this is needed to "float" the sprocket to compensate for alignment adjustments which might differ slightly from bike to bike (back wheel rubbers, bearing spacers, rear sprocket position etc).

If the RC51 sprocket is 16.8mm, then maybe there is a chance that this "float" would not be available, and thus the chain might be tight on one side of the sprocket, and that one might even end up putting pressure on some part of the gearbox when one torques the sprocket nut up???

If you were to use an RC51 sprocket the chain alignment would definitely be off. The center of the front sprocket would be 1 to 1.5 mm outward of aligning with the rear. And the washer that holds the sprocket on is also a spring and it could not do its job of holding a certain pressure that allows the float.

I don't. I replaced my front with a solid steel aftermarket but would swap it out again (with 16 dampened) if I could get that info. I've asked on a couple of CBR-RR forums for someone to mike a OEM from one of there bikes with no responce. I thought someone would have a sprocket that they replaced sitting around under a bench or something that could measure.

• 4 weeks later...

The VTEC VFR 800 ('02 model) front sprocket is a perfect match for the bird with 14.5mm spline and 16 teeth with rubber damper (I think older VFR 800 are 17T and the RC51 is 16.8mm at spline-too thick for 'Bird which is 14.5mm)-

VTEC16TSPROCKET.jpg

Here is used 'Bird 17T sprocket-

BIRD17TSPROCKET.jpg

Here is the part number for VTEC VFR800 front sprocket-

VTECPARTNUMBER.jpg

Hope this helps anyone wanting to do the upgrade to easier wheelies :lol:

Friend of mine was determined to get the right thing and first ordered an OEM RC51 (16T) which proved to be 16.8mm spline and also had a thinner rubber damper. We then looked at the JT Sprockets website http://www.jtsprockets.com/ (they have the specs and drawings of all the sprockets) and found that the '02 VTEC VFR800 seemed to be perfect and he ordered one.

The pics are his.

He also got an AFAM 46T rear alloy sprocket so that the wheelbase will remain constant (one tooth down in front and one up at back), but his gearing will be up by 4 teeth equivalent at back.

Before anyone flames ally sprocks, I have had the same AFAM rear for nearly 15K miles now and hardly any wear. YES-beware of SOME ally sprocks but AFAM is the dogs. :wink:

PS-

According to the JT sprockets website, the 16T front sprockets for 'Blades would also be 16.8mm, so one would be tightening the sprocket bolt down onto the sprocket, instead of onto the shaft (eliminating the float on the OEM design and possibly causing misalignment and gearbox shaft bearing damage).

I may be slow, but I think the stock gearing on the XX is as good as it gets...

Great thrust down low, fantastic afterburners and smooth as a baby's bottom slowing trolling @95 w da boilers fully lit up for rollons into triple digits. If ya need more on demand, row the gearbox a click or two...

Net effect? Chain length kept the same with 1T gain in front and 1T drop in back=more torque, correct for given rpm? So do you get the wheel off the ground easier and loose some top speed?

Thanks

Chris

CAPPEL Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:27 am Post subject: Question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Net effect? Chain length kept the same with 1T gain in front and 1T drop in back=more torque, correct for given rpm? So do you get the wheel off the ground easier and loose some top speed?

Thanks

Chris

OK-Here is summary:

97-98 'Birds have OEM gearing of 17T front/ 44T back

99 'Birds onwards have OEM gearing of 17T front/ 45T back (I suspect Honda realised that pulling top speed with a 44T back was gonna be an academic exercise or need a lightweight jockey onboard and no headwind at all.)

Going down a tooth to 16T on front has same effect on gearing as going up 3 teeth on back.

A change of one tooth down on front and one tooth up on back keeps the wheelbase the same-chain alignment and wear markers stay in same place.

So doing a 16T on front and a 45T back for 97-98 'Birds or a 46T back for 99 onwards 'Birds will effectively add 4 teeth to the gearing and keep the wheelbase constant.

On my 98 'Bird, I have a 17T front (hopefully soon to be replaced with the VTEC VFR 16T) and a 46T rear, so I have currently increased by 2 teeth over stock. I find this setup a huge improvement and would like, as mentioned, to go further and get the 16T front so that I have an increase of 5 teeth.

I do like the shorter wheelbase I currently have for quicker steering, so I would stick with the 46T rear for me. If someone with a 99 onwards 'Bird wanted to also shorten their wheelbase, they would need to get a 47T rear sprocket, and thus have a 5 tooth increase.

Beware that going more than 2 teeth bigger on the rear would make it very difficult to fit a new chain without adding another link. You may get away with 3 extra teeth on the rear if you went down one tooth on the front, but do not quote me on that point.

In short, second gear power wheelies are now a no brainer and the need to downchange around town or with a pillion are much reduced.

Thanks for the summary, may need to look at changing sprockets. I have a new chain already waiting to be put on. My 2nd chain has lasted so much longer than my stock one. I have 30K on my 02 and the 2nd chain has held up really well.

Chris

Guest rockmeupto125

Glad you guys caught up with this. After having my ass honded to me on the subject, I wasn't about to say more until I had bought the VFR sprocket and made damn sure, but that's the same answer I had come up with.

Pete....in some other countries the stock gearing is different, or they can take an option of rear sprocket size.

I was doing some research on this, now that I understand your point.  I'm pretty sure the RC had a dampened 16 tooth stocker.

Who's gonna order one to check it out?

It does! I just installed a new stock countershaft sprocket from my RC onto the XX, thats the first thing most guys change on a 51, going to a 15t. I had a 47t to the rear with the stock counter. The chain had stretched to the point where I had adjusted it all the way back, thus steering slower than I cared. I installed a 16/45 with a new chain and shortened the wheel base almost an inch. I cant wait to test it now.

• 3 months later...

Ask your dealer to get you an AFAM 46T alloy (AFAM will supply other sizes as well-each sprocket is a custom order). They do the best quality alloy sprocket. I have had mine on for nearly 20K miles now and hardly any wear and my mate is having likewise a good experience with one. Don't worry about the stories you hear about (inferior) ally sprockets.

And when you feel the weight diff u will know you have done the right thing.............

I got mine in the tarty gold finish :oops:

Looks good with a gold finish sideplate chain as well