CBR1100XX.org Forum

My Rear Brakes SUCK!

Hokie

After yesterdays 200 mile ride I have determined without a doubt that my rear brakes SUCK!!

(And not in the good way either! :blowjob: )

I have not investigated to see if the pads are worn, etc.....

But it seemed to me when I stepped on the rear brake pedal the only wheel doing some stopping was the front.

So, in the near future, mods are going to be:

New Brake Pads

New Brake Lines

New Brake Fluid

Now taking unsolicited opinions on which type or types of all of the above are best for the XX.

Hokie,

I changed just the pads,from OEM to Galfer greens,and now my rear is actually usable.Of course new lines and fluid can only help more.I think I paid something like $90.00 for all three sets from White Buffalo Racing and they arrived within 3 days.Try it and you will like it.

Why do you think only the front is doing the work? It's not going to feel like a regular rear brake, and it's very hard to lock it up.

Maybe that is the problem, but I was really standing on it and the bike did not

feel like it was slowing down very much.

Could just be the linked brakes faking me out.

Well, if they were applying the fronts harder, then the bike would really stop. The rear won't have as much effect. In my MSF ERC we were supposed to lock up the rear. Couldn't do it, but the bike stopped pretty fast for rear brake use. Every time I ride another bike, I get reminded how well the LBS works.

Why do you think only the front is doing the work? It's not going to feel like a regular rear brake, and it's very hard to lock it up.

Even if you hit the rear brake hard---you will feel the front compressing pretty well--sounds like something is off--I use mine for stopping w/o hands(who says its worthless) and you know that the front is "on".

Even if you hit the rear brake hard---you will feel the front compressing pretty well--sounds like something is off--I use mine for stopping w/o hands(who says its worthless) and you know that the front is "on".

I could feel the front working, maybe that is why I thought the rear was not working very well.

Definitely would not lock up the rear wheel.

That's what I did at first--slightly less powerful pads in back. This set I'm running matched pads. I don't notice a huge difference overall, even in very hard riding (no track). I've had the back end wagging around under braking quite a few times both with the matched set and with the less-powerful-in-rear set, and noticed no real difference.

Also keep in mind with the better pads out front, you'll be getting more front brake than you would with the stock setup when you hit the rear. Not an issue if you leave the rear pedal alone, I suppose, but there are instances where that might make you life a little more, um..interesting.

The LBS in stock form is pretty well balanced, I'd tend toward leaving it alone rather than trying to "tune" it.

I guess it is just me, but I very rarely use the rear. The front gives me plenty of stopping power. I use the rear only on "fine tuning" to a stop or a light.

I am not a rear brake abuser either, I was just noticing that it did not seem to work that well.

I am also comparing this to the rear brakes on my R6 which seem to work fairly well.

Granted the R6 is much lighter and does not have LBS.

Take the XX up to 40 and mash the rear brake hard when you pass a marker. Measure distance travelled. Do same on the R6. Betcha it's 50% less on the XX. If not, then you do have a problem.