CBR1100XX.org Forum

100W Headlight?

Obby

I know this has been discussed, but has anyone actually installed a 100W Bulb in their XX (i can't see a damn thing at night)? If so, what brand?

Can I just go to a local automotive shop and pick up a set of PIAA Bright Whites or Phillips?

but has anyone actually installed a 100W Bulb in their XX (i can't see a damn thing at night)?

Yes and dont do it unless you want a melted bulb base. Been there, done that.

Ken

option 1) HID conversion. as Warchild. costs ~$400+

option 2) Philips bulb. i can't remember which one, but one of their bulbs tested incredibly well versus ALL other bulbs on the market. it doesn't have any tinting or beam focusing or any of the BS crap that many budget bulbs use. problem is that you can only get it from Europe, it isn't available in North America. i swear there was a member from here that ordered this bulb from some website from Europe. anyone?

there is an awesome bulb comparison (using the nicer bulbs available in europe) on this UK car site. unfortunately my link to it no longer works (they must have moved the article) and i couldn't find it from their menus. to make things worse they only allow "guests" to view 3 pages on their site. anyway, it's hidden somewhere on that site, and i know it has the name of the philips bulb mentioned above. it's whatever their top of the line automotive bulb is.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk

now that i look into it, perhaps it is called "vision plus".

http://www.eur.lighting.philips.com/automotive/

if you go there and compare the EU and NA sites, it is only available on the EU site. here is the product, i'm pretty sure this is the right one- now just need to find a store that will ship it to the states:

http://www.eur.lighting.philips.com/automo...visionplus.html

found out some more info:

the site where one can order from is called powerbulbs. i'm not positive about them sending to the US, but i think so. they also posted the summary of the AutoExpress bulb review i mentioned above. (although this site also sells those bulbs, i do recall those are the same findings that AutoExpress had- so it's not just another case of a vendor claiming that their bulbs are "the best!")

main site:

http://www.powerbulbs.com/

it looks like they'll be around $30 for a pair (+shipping).

bulb comparison results:

http://www.powerbulbs.com/reviews/autoexpress.htm

i emailed them to see if they'll ship overseas, i'll let ya'll know what they say.

Since many of you have read - My headlight is wired upside down.

That is I run the large (bottom) light as my LOW beam and the smaller (top) light as my high beam - that being said - I run a 100W bulb in my High Beam (the smaller light) and have had no problems at all in regards to heat, melting ect.

I installed the 100W blue tinted bulbs and it melted the socket that it plugs into. I posted about this a couple of months ago and several people responded that they had the exact same problem. It may be the quality of the bulb, who knows...?

I know this has been discussed, but has anyone actually installed a 100W Bulb in their XX (i can't see a damn thing at night)?  If so, what brand?

Can I just go to a local automotive shop and pick up a set of PIAA Bright Whites or Phillips?

Philips vision plus, they were rated something like 35% brighter than stock, and they don't draw any extra power, should actually burn cooler.

I got them from www.autolampsonline.com or something like that (British company). The service was exceptional.

There is nothing worse than the PIAA bulbs. Even cheap shit $10 bulbs might be better; can't be worse.

The Philips Vision Plus has scored above ALL others in every test.

Just removed my bulb.

Philips has different kinds of H7 12V/55W bulbs. The "normal" one, one which is ~30% brighter, and the H7 Vision Plus that is 50% brighter than the normal one. The dealer told me that the heat of the Vision Plus bulb is the same as for the normal one. Therefore one can install it without problem.

Thanks everyone! I'm almost ready to order. Looks like I'm going to play it safe and get the Phillips Vision Plus bulbs (don't like the sound of melting my headlight housing :???: ).

One stupid question though. What is the bulb Type (H1, H4 , H7)? ...and are the highbeams and lowbeams the same Type?

I didn't see the bulb Type in the manual, just 12v - 55W.

I've got 100w bulbs in my high and low...

No problems so far, had em in for 4000 miles plus.

Make a HUGE difference at night.

Not sure what kind I have, got them from tricktape I think...

Redbird told me where he got his, and that's where I got mine...

One stupid question though. What is the bulb Type (H1, H4 , H7)?

H7's. Both high and low beam take the H7 bulb.

What makes the PIAA the worst ?

My experience with the PIAAs is vastly different from Carlos'.

I run the PIAA Xtreme White H3 in my PIAA 910 lamps. When I light these lamps off, the light output allows you to read a book from over 1/4 mile away (this is no shit, btw... I know, cuz I have done it.)

I have found no finer H3 bulb than the Xtreme White series, and I have about tried them all over the last 8 years. This bulb is the de-facto standard in the Endurance Riding community. Nobody does more night riding then these guys.....

afaik:

The reason why PIAAs are usually dissed is that they are well known for selling poor quality bulbs covered in a blue coating. they are also very expensive compared to other bulbs, and are known to burn out within a year. (that's why you always see little pimped out civics with one burned out headlight and the other is blueish (white) colored)

blue colored PIAAs, Nokyas, etc are usually what the import car drivers use to make their headlights shine "white" and look like HID lights. PIAAs are just the most famous and popular ones. Also, PIAAs usually have on the package something like this: "55w -> 100w" saying something about how they shine like 100w bulbs. (they actually aren't 100w) Many tests have been done that prove time and again that these bulbs actually produce less light than stock bulbs, but often they refocus the beam to the middle, so if you shine on the wall in your garage there will be a several sq. inch patch that will indeed be brighter than stock, but the rest of the beam is darker. (this is what they use to make their "like a 100w bulb" claim) there used to be a really awesome independent FAQ online where i read all this, but it is no longer up. unfortunately these types of bulbs are VERY popular and they are all over the internet and local car stores.

real 100w bulbs (if you can find them) will shine brighter but you may risk melting something as some people above have. if you haven't melted anything yet with your 100w bulb you may either be lucky or have been scammed by a company like PIAA into thinking the bulb is 100w but it actually isn't.

Although, PIAA may well indeed sell real bulbs that aren't covered in paint as Warchild suggests.

moral of the story:

1) don't buy a bulb with a blue tint

2) stick with trusted manufacturers like philips or osram for your H7s.

(... i know i'm ordering a pair of the proven philips' vision plus :wink: )

The reason why PIAAs are usually dissed is that they are well known for selling poor quality bulbs covered in a blue coating. they are also very expensive compared to other bulbs, and are known to burn out within a year.

I bought some for my truck (piias) and I wasn't impressed, and they burnt out in less than a year...

although tweeter, I think your assessment of the 'good and bad' with 100w bulbs is innacurate.

MANY of the guys that had melting problems with the 100w bulbs mentioned that they added some grease like you put on battery terminals to the bulb connector, and that solved the melting problem.

I have had PIAA bulbs in my 99 Civic because they give off a much brighter white light when I am driving over the mountain at night. Not a single street light. One of them burnt out 2 years later....wrote to PIAA and the replaced them for free....They better...they were 80 bucks. The PIAA light in the XX were blue tinted glass...but white light. Not a single tint of blue when they are on. I may be one of the lucky ones.

But for the car and the bike...PIAA has been great for me.

Dave

What makes the PIAA the worst ?

This does NOT apply to their fog lamps, or other specialty lamps. Only the "extra bright" headlamp replacement bulbs. You can see all the details on the site in the FAQ. Basically they wind the coils on a larger form so the light is much more focused, thus it SEEMS brighter to the eye. But there is horrible fall-off outside the bright center spot; just what you don't want on a bike. This is something I have personally measured with a digital photographic light meter, and is backed up by many other tests.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I finally got the new Phillips bulbs. I followed the manual and removed the left side upper dash cover. Now I can see both the upper and lower bulbs.

One problem, when I tried to remove the lower bulb, the retaining clip seemed to be screwed down by two phillips screws on either side. The area is too tight to get a screwdriver into. Now what? Anyone done this before?

I dont know what year bike you are rideing but on my 97' you dont have to remove any screws. Just slide the black rubber boot off and you should see a silver clip that you push in a little and swing back.

The whole base unit of the bulb should slide right out.

Ken