CBR1100XX.org Forum

Fille attachment size/ maintenance - out of space

Attachment size and gallery size are two different things.  Are you asking to allow larger per-attachment limits?  Or a larger total storage for your account?  Or...?

Well, I ran myself out of space.

I don't want to delete my attachments to make more room.

I thought maybe there was a way to compress a user's library without deleting.

So here's the challenge.  You have 5GB of files here.  I can't see any way to set your personal limit higher.  If only ten people did that, we'd run out of space.  We have a 100GB total allocation and more is expensive.  This isn't a Walmart USB flash drive.

You've got a shitload of insanely large photos files.  This is a problem with new phones that create excessively large files to fool people into thinking they are better quality.  It's all wasted space.

JPEGs are by definition pre-squished.  There don't seem to be options here besides deleting old stuff, or increasing the site-wide allocation which is already quite high.

I wonder how many other folks here are close to maxing out their space?   

6 hours ago, SwampNut said:

There don't seem to be options here besides deleting old stuff, or increasing the site-wide allocation which is already quite high.

Maybe this should be information that everyone should know, like you could start an informational thread on the subject?   I myself never thought about this subject here and wouldn't knowingly do something that would increase cost.  You can't know you are doing wrong unless you know you are doing wrong.

12 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

I wonder how many other folks here are close to maxing out their space?   

Maybe this should be information that everyone should know, like you could start an informational thread on the subject?   I myself never thought about this subject here and wouldn't knowingly do something that would increase cost.  You can't know you are doing wrong unless you know you are doing wrong.

Sure, I gotta figure out how to word it.  And then, how to actually help.  On my computer, an automated watcher resizes and compresses all images before they get pasted in.  How many other people have that?  0.  Since the forum was made, and upgraded, the size of photos particularly from Androids has gone nutty as they try to make file size be a marketing tool.  

Adding:  While working on work servers this weekend I'll run through the back end here, at the OS, and see what storage is looking like.  Then I can get ideas on what to do.  But I certainly also need users to turn off mega-photo sizes, they do NOT make your photos better.  Some refuse.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, SwampNut said:

Sure, I gotta figure out how to word it.  And then, how to actually help.  On my computer, an automated watcher resizes and compresses all images before they get pasted in.  How many other people have that?  0.  Since the forum was made, and upgraded, the size of photos particularly from Androids has gone nutty as they try to make file size be a marketing tool.  

Adding:  While working on work servers this weekend I'll run through the back end here, at the OS, and see what storage is looking like.  Then I can get ideas on what to do.  But I certainly also need users to turn off mega-photo sizes, they do NOT make your photos better.  Some refuse.

Now I feel bad about making you more work.  Thank you for keeping the wheels turning.

Edit: Just looked at my Droid pic size not that I post many photos from it here, 12.6mp.  What size do you recommend?

Edited by blackhawkxx

7 hours ago, XXitanium said:

...and deleting attachments from posts won't reduce the storage I've inadvertently hogged.

If you delete the attachment it will.  If you remove it from being displayed, it won't, and remains in your files.  Delete them from your personal attachments.  The really old stuff is surely useless, right?  When I sort attachments by views, the old stuff has zero.

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

Terms of Use