CBR1100XX.org Forum

Ceramic coatings

SwampNut

I've used Avalon King in the past and loved it.  This time I got the new "Max" version.  Between the buffing, polishing, and ceramic, you can no longer get photos of the truck.  Just the things it reflects.  

B03354FB-FE64-45F6-B9FA-4620EEFF0937_1_105_c.jpeg

117C31D0-ED6A-48B1-9552-F1608DBC35D5_1_105_c.jpeg

I used the Cerakote restorer ceramic on the black plastic, and that was amazing too.  Just the right amount of light sheen.

Trim before:

3DE575B8-F7FD-47E8-83D3-F49DE2C9365F_1_105_c.jpeg

Trim after:

E41F45DE-4B41-4FF0-BA0C-11417C363AFC_1_105_c.jpeg

I have the Adam's graphene tire dressing, and a new offering from Chemical Guys that's intended for all rubber/plastic/vinyl.  I'm going to try each of them on different sides and see how the results vary.  I'll also use it on the hard plastic/vinyl around the interior such as door sills and the like.  And their interior ceramic for the dash and seats.  (Seats are "vegan leather" (yes I hate that term too), so you can deal with them as you'd deal with any other polyurethane.)

It's been a motherfucker to get to this point.  Not only is there a lot of prep for ceramic, but I managed to get the entire hood and some of the front coated in silicone.  What a disaster that nobody knew how to fix.

• Like 1

Black and Vegan

That needs a smart ass comment.

Posted (edited)

Guess who has the motorcycle to ride in the back of the truck?

20240504_085716.jpg

Edited by OMG

8 hours ago, SwampNut said:

(Seats are "vegan leather" (yes I hate that term too), so you can deal with them as you'd deal with any other polyurethane.)

My understanding is that all, or at least the vast majority, of leather car seats have a polyurethane coating.  I haven't researched it, but it was talked about on a few videos I watched about seat restoration and detailing products.

Outside of very high end cars, most do have a plastic coating.  These are 100% plastic though.  Soon, very few seats will use cow as the vinyl shittiness has been fixed.

On 5/5/2024 at 10:20 AM, SwampNut said:

(Seats are "vegan leather" (yes I hate that term too)

LOL, I giggle a little every time I hear that stupid cunty term for "vinyl". 😂

On 5/5/2024 at 10:20 AM, SwampNut said:

but I managed to get the entire hood and some of the front coated in silicone.  What a disaster that nobody knew how to fix.

Rubbing alcohol?

15 hours ago, TOXXIC said:

Rubbing alcohol?

Nope.  Believe me, this was a many-hour research subject over a couple of days.  Nobody had good answers.  I mean, there are industrial answers, like 3M products that only come in barrels for $700.  In the end I compiled all the opinions and facts, looked at the exact polarity/molarity of the various molecules involved, and used three things.  Aerosol Goof-Off for cars, which leaves a film, but seems to life silicone.  Chemical Guys "Wipe Out" which removes the film.  And then the normal pre-ceramic alcohol wipe down (around 20% iso and 80% water).

Vegan leather is actually polyurethane mostly, not vinyl.  Poly is also used to coat cheaper leather seats, because cheap leather looks defective if not coated.  So your "leather" seats are actually vegan where it touches you.

4FB09502-ACC0-4B53-B373-BEC0210729B1_1_105_c.jpeg

7DBCC210-BB94-4AA6-8105-887CF29418A6_1_105_c.jpeg

FF7649D8-8601-44A2-A863-6AF899F4CD60_1_105_c.jpeg

F2C34404-5E7E-498E-982C-19D69A460010_1_105_c.jpeg

5A94769B-6878-4A10-91AD-F259D4EE6CF7_1_105_c.jpeg

This cures to a hard, medium shine finish that won't attract dirt, and lasts for months.  Also, view of low mode and off-road mode.

Posted (edited)

How to remove silicone? Easy answer. Acetone. And no, it won't ruin clear coat if you use two wipes method and work fast enough. 

60 seconds job to the hood. 

Edited by tomek

21 minutes ago, CBR-RR-XX-CESS said:

From what?

A microfiber towel that the cleaning people use got mixed into my car supply.  I've been super careful to keep them apart, and don't know how this happened.  They often do leave towels in the garage, I'm usually really picky about keeping mine locked up.  Dunno.  Furniture polish and various house chemicals are full of silicone.  I've had to plane off a shitload of wood to get rid of silicone furniture polish when trying to refinish it.  The shit's no joke.  The very best removers contain a group of pretty dangerous acids so I wasn't going to risk those on a new car.  So I grab the contaminated towel, get to work doing the final pre-ceramic cleaning, which activates the contamination and coats the car.

It cost $40 to get a bag of 100 of them.  They are now one time use, or actually, I'll use the used ones for shit like rocker panels and tires.

1 hour ago, SwampNut said:

A microfiber towel that the cleaning people use got mixed into my car supply.  I've been super careful to keep them apart, and don't know how this happened.  They often do leave towels in the garage, I'm usually really picky about keeping mine locked up.  Dunno.  Furniture polish and various house chemicals are full of silicone.  I've had to plane off a shitload of wood to get rid of silicone furniture polish when trying to refinish it.  The shit's no joke.  The very best removers contain a group of pretty dangerous acids so I wasn't going to risk those on a new car.  So I grab the contaminated towel, get to work doing the final pre-ceramic cleaning, which activates the contamination and coats the car.

It cost $40 to get a bag of 100 of them.  They are now one time use, or actually, I'll use the used ones for shit like rocker panels and tires.

Which ones do you buy? Not all microfiber towels are the same. 

I have no idea.  They are all different and I just don't care.  I hate some but it's only because I hate how they feel.  I can't tell any performance difference.  Whatever was cheapest/biggest at one of the auto stores.  And really, this is something I hope to do extremely rarely.

Edit, they are smaller and thinner than most which I really loved.

On 5/11/2024 at 1:34 PM, SwampNut said:

This cures to a hard, medium shine finish that won't attract dirt, and lasts for months.

Thanks.  I will have to try it as I just hate how the stuff I have used stays slimy and sucks dirt to it.  

• Upvote 1