CBR1100XX.org Forum

I need to start eating breakfast, but I really hate it

I probably should make myself get some early nutrition.  As my weight and habits have changed I find it harder to get sufficient daily calories and overall nutrition, also for the first time I'm getting slightly hungry around mid morning, say 10:30.  I could just make lunch, but am also trying to coordinate feeding Moriah too, and she's more of a noon eater.  I've never wanted food early in the day and it's irrationally unpleasant to me.  Also, traditional carb-based breakfast foods have too much glycemic impact (oats, etc), and something like eggs and toast feel a bit heavy for my taste.

I've tried some non-dairy protein shake options...meh...but considering it again.  I guess it doesn't matter if I like the taste it's just a necessity.  A lot of people on nutrition/diabetic forums recommend Orgain pre-made meal drinks.  I may give that a shot.

It's 9:30 and the idea of eating anything repulses me for no rational reason I can figure out, but at the same time I feel like it would be good for me.

Also the difficulty in eating sufficiently later is related to the blood sugar drugs; they make it hard to eat a large meal.

I have and still struggle with this.  For me...I can force anything down quickly as long as it's EASY to make.

I found these egg white cups... where you just put the whole cup in the micro, open and shove down.

I guess I should have added that I'm not going to eat bacon/sausage/cheese or that amount of salt.  But now I wonder if there's something like that with a decent nutritional profile.  Easy is probably not a factor for me, being light and the health profile are top factors.  I have time and ability to cook since I'm working a few feet away from the kitchen.  Maybe I make something up to freeze or whatever.

It's amazing that you take every opportunity to put down most anything that you don't do or follow.

How's the nutritional profile on the booze and cigars you enjoy?  How does that compute with looking for a breakfast with a healthy profile the next morning?

Best of luck in your search. 

31 minutes ago, SwampNut said:

But now I wonder if there's something like that with a decent nutritional profile.

I know, I know... "you new here?"

• Haha 1

I drink the Orgain Plant chocolate protein powder, I mix it with no sugar added soy milk pretty much everyday as a meal.  I normally have it for lunch and just have about 20 Blueberries and three large strawberries for mid morning snack before my morning coffee.  That gets me close to 15 hours of fasting before eating any food.

• Upvote 1

I can't imagine hating breakfast. I don't eat a full breakfast everyday but on the occasion where I am in the mood I find great joy and pleasure in bacon, sausage, eggs and hash browns or home-fries. Eggs Benedict is also a treat. Making and eating a nice full breakfast with my wife on the weekend is a welcome indulgence that transcends the concern for nutritional or health values. The food and the aromas from cooking breakfast create comfort and set a warm ambiance for the day. IMO sometimes a meal is more than just the sum of feeding one's body.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

I love a good breakfast of eggs and bacon or sausage with toast, but do it once or twice a month, not every day.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, DaveK said:

It's amazing that you take every opportunity to put down most anything that you don't do or follow.

I didn't.  I specifically said that I made a mistake in not specifying what *I* will eat.  I didn't advise you to change anything.

Hard boil some eggs on the weekend and put them in the fridge for the rest of the week.  It's amazing how far two eggs will let me go before I get real hungry again.  I like to put salt and pepper on them, or better yet a splash of Frank's red hot.

• Like 3

I’ve been eating an apple every weekday for breakfast. Likely disqualified as a contender as per carb/glycemic call outs you mention. 

I feel like that old guy Elaine worked for in Seinfeld but I slice my apple with one of those corer/slicers gizmos and the eat the slices with a fork. sometimes I peel a clementine and add it in or slice up a banana and add them in. 

Before this fresh fruit kick it was steel cut oats and cinnamon every morning. I could eat that everyday for life and not get sick of it. 

13 hours ago, Nova Scotia Mike said:

I’ve been eating an apple every weekday for breakfast. Likely disqualified as a contender as per carb/glycemic call outs you mention. 

It a great idea, apples are medium carbs but low glycemic for fruit.  I should try.  I like them a lot.  And I have the tool.

13 hours ago, Nova Scotia Mike said:

Before this fresh fruit kick it was steel cut oats and cinnamon every morning. I could eat that everyday for life and not get sick of it. 

I like oats/groats.  But they spike my blood glucose like I injected sugar, I crash in an hour, and I'm starving in two hours.  Even when I was doing 50% buckwheat.

22 hours ago, DaveK said:

Just Crack An Egg Protein Packed Scramble Breakfast Bowl Kit - 2.25oz :  Target

This actually reminded me that there's an option at a couple of local stores for one that may be both nutritionally sound, and easy, and also tasty.  Just have to go re-find it.  And you made me realize that I could easily pre-make something to go into freezer bags for ease of use.  I've made the decision to limit my egg intake, but there are a few options.

I have been also dipping an apple into all natural peanut butter with no extra sugar to get some protein and healthy fats, it' a great meal or desert.

• Upvote 1

So in the end, @DaveK gave me the answer indirectly.  I had seen this in the past and forgotten it.  Basically instant (sautée for a few minutes).  Real food with minimal processing, not great but not terrible on sodium, no animal fats, etc, very high protein, bit of fiber.  Along with those protein pancakes this covers a few days of variety, now to consider one or two more.  I think those drinkable things will be another.  

https://www.nasoya.com/products/breakfast-scramble/

Plantspired-Skillets-Breakfast-Render-Ja

2 hours ago, 02XXCA said:

I have been also dipping an apple into all natural peanut butter with no extra sugar to get some protein and healthy fats, it' a great meal or desert.

I eat a banana and natural peanut butter daily.  Kind of a mini meal.  

• Upvote 1

LOL, and then this just hit my inbox...

https://nutritionfacts.org/blog/skip-breakfast-to-lose-weight/?utm_source=NutritionFacts.org&utm_campaign=d2b2274b31-RSS_BLOG_DAILY&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_40f9e497d1-d2b2274b31-28710906&mc_cid=d2b2274b31

Skip Breakfast to Lose Weight? 

Written By Michael Greger M.D. FACLM  

But I'm not trying to lose more weight.  It's always been pretty obvious that you should skip it for weight loss, and why I'm trying to change.

Even when you don't get the perfect answer here, you get clues.  Dave's recommendation led to a few other similarly-named options that fit the nutrition I've decided on for myself.  Then I thought of just messaging my PCP.  His nurse-nutritionist says she eats this regularly:  https://www.hodofoods.com/product-details/egg-scramble

She had also suggested that I test and chart blood sugar if I have a fruit, nut, and granola granola bowl.  Unfortunately while I could eat these all day, it spikes blood sugar and then even worse, holds it for hours.  A short spike of 137 would be slightly high but not bad.

E7C1174E-B33F-4E59-A15D-43B88EA2B9FB_1_102_o.jpeg

About 10% of the daily sodium recommended by normal dietary guidelines. About 20g of protein and it’s delicious. Very healthy. 

Added benefit - $2.00 (not including the eggs) 🥚 and takes 45 seconds from popping the lid to the first bite. 

IMG_5869.jpeg

Thanks, that veggie one looks great.  I've chosen to limit my eggs to 2-4 a week, based on several of those studies I've quoted before.  But yeah, that looks great for a couple days a week.

And I'm retarded.  I also completely forgot Dave's Killer Bread and natural peanut butter.  I don't know what happens in my brain, I can create a new habit easily, do it for a few weeks, and then completely forget it as if it never happened.  Dave's got pushed to the back of the fridge and.....lost.  WTF man.

8B8896D9-A405-4D4D-9B14-B3A5EACF9439_1_102_a.jpeg

The Orgain gave me a blood sugar spike and left me hungry quickly.  I'll try it again to be sure it wasn't just that day.

I forgot another reason for morning food, and that's taking supplements.  In a cruel twist of fate, I have a nausea/heartburn reaction to capsules.  Not the stuff, the capsule itself.  Which is fun when I tried getting anti-nausea capsules and they increased the nausea.  Fuck!!

Anyway, this is solved with food.  I'm doing several digestive aids like magnesium, fiber, and plants every morning for the tirzepatide side effects.  And some vitamins and minerals.

Once upon the time I decided to start eating breakfast 🥞. Why? Because everyone says you supposed to do it. 

Normally I don't eat shit till I feel like it, although strong coffee is mandatory first thing in the morning. So, no food for first 2-3 hrs after waking up.

During that experiment with eating proper breakfast I just ended up eating whatever I would normally eat, plus that breakfast. Fail. I went back to previous eating regime after couple of weeks.

I'd say all of us have natural eating clock, no need to change it. I'm just like my mother, we don't eat in the morning. She is 86 years old, and in very good health. 

5 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

You guys have a complicated life. 

Health issues, and their "solutions," have broad-reaching implications.

Like this bullshit.  NO REASON, should not happen, and yet here's a totally objective measure of how it fucks me up.  One Orgain drink.

1881A9A9-18FE-402D-A317-DADEF7A8E444_1_105_c.jpeg

1 hour ago, SwampNut said:

Health issues, and their "solutions," have broad-reaching implications.

I didn't mean it as a put down and you are correct.  My ignorance is bliss approach will probably catch up to me.