CBR1100XX.org Forum

Oats are good for you? Or not

Learned about this today.  Non-organic oats have a chemical called chlormequat.  New studies are linking it to a lot of problems even in "acceptable" concentrations by government standards.

This is a pretty good study showing a danger, it's probably not expensive to go organic.  As far as "good for you," there is very strong evidence correlating them with reduced cholesterol issues, BP issues, and better digestion.  Unfortunately they don't work for me at all.  It spikes my blood sugar worse than actual sugar, and then I'm starving an hour later and crashing.  But a friend of mine has them nearly every morning and feels full for hours.

What illicit peptide sourced from shady resources overseas for counteracting the health effects of oats?

I like overnight oats... cold, with oat milk, chia, and a bit of vanilla flavor and cinnamon.

Much appreciate this post Carlos... now I will look for all natural and organic.

Thanks again! 

41 minutes ago, DaveK said:

I like overnight oats... cold, with oat milk, chia, and a bit of vanilla flavor and cinnamon.

Much appreciate this post Carlos... now I will look for all natural and organic.

Thanks again! 

Fucking love that, and hot oats, and savory oats.  Like curry.  But it's just super unhealthy for me in particular.  Goddammit now I want some.

OTOH, those Kodiak pancakes are very low glycemic.  Trying something crazy that sounds weird, but this is fantastic.

03EFEC2C-1AE1-4E5E-9486-C23301CBF6AF_1_102_o.jpeg

091C81BE-966C-4CF9-9072-EA8C0805751D_1_102_o.jpeg

Great, the one thing I eat every morning is now bad for me.  😉

The fact that so many people are exposed raises concerns about its potential impact on public health, since animal studies link chlormequat to reduced fertility, harm to the reproductive system and altered fetal growth.

So this doesn't seem like many here would worry about reproductive issues.  

Also:

In April 2023, in response to a 2019 application submitted by chlormequat manufacturer Taminco, the Biden EPA proposed allowing the first-ever use of chlormequat on barley, oat, triticale and wheat grown in the U.S. EWG opposes the plan. 

So it's in more than just oats.

10 minutes ago, blackhawkxx said:

So this doesn't seem like many here would worry about reproductive issues.  

That doesn't mean what you think it means.  It's an effect on reproductive systems, with implications beyond actually reproducing.

On a scale of PANIC versus ignoring it, this goes into, if you eat a lot, look for the organics, because why not.

7 minutes ago, SwampNut said:

On a scale of PANIC versus ignoring it, this goes into, if you eat a lot, look for the organics, because why not.

I only eat 1/4 cup per day, the wife eats them also.  Always buy the slow cook and after short look at Walmart.com, most organics are quick cook and cost a good bit more.  But I will look around more.

2 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

I only eat 1/4 cup per day, the wife eats them also.  Always buy the slow cook and after short look at Walmart.com, most organics are quick cook and cost a good bit more.  But I will look around more.

I've never paid attention before, but will now.  Compare notes when you look.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/chemical-found-in-cheerios-quaker-oats-other-oat-based-foods-linked-potential-health-issues-study

Chlormequat was detected in 80% of people tested in three geographical regions of the U.S. between 2017 and 2023, according to the study by the Environmental Working Group (EWG) and published in the Journal of Exposure Science and Environmental Epidemiology.

Researchers also found that "the concentrations detected in 2023 samples were significantly higher than previous years' samples."

I don't buy and eat US made oats, etc.

Forget about Cheerios, etc. Garbage loaded with sugar.