CBR1100XX.org Forum

Tire Shop

rockmeupto125

Doesn't Joe have a new fancy garage to do all things motorcycle related?  No heat in there yet?  Or maybe wanted the rubber warmer for ease of installation?  Likes to cook while swapping rubber?   

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, blackhawkxx said:

Doesn't Joe have a new fancy garage to do all things motorcycle related?  No heat in there yet?  Or maybe wanted the rubber warmer for ease of installation?  Likes to cook while swapping rubber?   

I think it was about 7 degrees that day. No heat/insulation in garage. New tires and old were inside over the baseboard heat. Decided to cart the stuff inside to do it. NEVER could have done it with cold tires.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, CALCXX said:

I see it has black rotors so it's one of the faster models.

My current one has chrome rotors, the fastest color.

14 hours ago, rockmeupto125 said:

I think it was about 7 degrees that day. No heat/insulation in garage. New tires and old were inside over the baseboard heat. Decided to cart the stuff inside to do it. NEVER could have done it with cold tires.

You ever done the zip tie installation method?  As with anything else, there are the ultra fanbois who say it's the only way, and the people who assure you that it's the worst thing ever and you're retarded for even asking about it.

I'd forgotten about the zip tie method.  I've seen it, but never done it.  I might employ that in the near future.

I thought I'd be mounting the R5 tires today, but I sorta got fucked/fucked myself.  I had the tires, tubes, and rim strips in my cart when I placed the order, but didn't notice that the tubes and strips were out of stock.  I feel like they should have made it more obvious, but maybe they did and I was too cross-eyed from the endless tire hunt.

Bastards!

The zip ties seem most successful on smaller tires.  Or maybe that's just coincidence that I've seen that most often.

22 hours ago, CALCXX said:

Really like the XX in white 

I loved my white XX, (Joe’s was the inspiration). Hard to see but in the sun the blue pearl metal flake from crushed glass was exquisite.

image.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SwampNut said:

Bastards!

The zip ties seem most successful on smaller tires.  Or maybe that's just coincidence that I've seen that most often.

I've thought about trying the zip-tie method, but knowing what good zip-ties cost these days, I figure it's just easier to take it to a shop or go use my friends No-Mar.  Him and the bike shops are 20+ miles away, so gotta add that too.🙄

I tried the zip tie thing using the heavy duty H.F. ones on a very stiff Gold Wing tire and I couldn't get it to work.  Now that my son has a full size air power machine, I don't think I'll try it again.  😉

I had no idea there was a such of method. Zip ties.  Watched someone on YouTube. Hilarious, really.

I think it is pretty retarded. Lol. It took long time to throw those zip ties on, compress the tire and remove zip ties. I would had that tire in and out in no time. And those big ass zip ties are not exactly cheap. Plus good luck trying to inflate the tire without waiting 2 hours for the poor thing to return to its intended shape. 

People will do some pretty retarded things instead of just learning proper techniques, and/or getting right tools.  Like when tire refuses to inflate. I've seen straps around, etc, and the effing tire still refuses to cooperate. 

Proper tool is cheetah bead seater. Stupid 70 bucks. It takes 15 seconds to seat the bead. And it can serve as portable air tank at race track. Plus at the and of day you can discharge it into some innocent bystander's ass. 😂 Hilarity factor. 

And so on. Like grease to fill the gap, lol.

Screenshot_20240302-180107.png

Edited by tomek

Once I have some free time (probably not till I die) I'll do tire changing refreshment course. 

I have one of those. Would be a lot handier with an aluminum tank. They work better on car tires than bike tires.

I never got the concept behind the zip ties. 

But I've had enough trouble getting beads to seat that I have multiple strategies.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, rockmeupto125 said:

They work better on car tires than bike tires.

Why? I had equal success rate. Car or motorcycle tires. 100 %.

You may wanna flatten the end of the nozzle with hammer, and cut off that little tongue if it has one for mcycle wheels usage.

Another thing, the opposite to the nozzle side of the wheel has to be resting against something solid like a wall, etc. Otherwise the blast will push away the wheel and no win. 

Like I said, next time I change tire I'll do tutorial.  

Edited by tomek

11 minutes ago, rockmeupto125 said:

I never got the concept behind the zip ties. 

I think it's about letting the rounded side of the tire bead 'guide' the opposing bead off and on.  I only watched two videos on it and they were able to dismount and mount without tools.

3 minutes ago, tomek said:

Why? I had equal success rate. Car or motorcycle tires. 100 %.

You may wanna flatten the nozzle with hammer, and cut off that little tongue of it has one for mcycle wheels.

Another thing, the opposite to the nozzle side of the wheel has to be resting against something solid like a wall, etc. Otherwise the blast will push away the wheel and no bueno. 

Or just use flammables or explosives, more fun.

16 hours ago, tomek said:

You may wanna flatten the end of the nozzle with hammer, and cut off that little tongue if it has one for mcycle wheels usage.

Another thing, the opposite to the nozzle side of the wheel has to be resting against something solid like a wall, etc. Otherwise the blast will push away the wheel and no 

I'll keep that in mind. Maybe I just need more practice.

16 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

I think it's about letting the rounded side of the tire bead 'guide' the opposing bead off and on.  I only watched two videos on it and they were able to dismount and mount without tools.

And without the added width of tire tools. Ehh.... The stuff I don't know is much greater than the stuff I know (or think I do).

16 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

Done that, works.

11 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

Done that. The thing is I don't smoke, don't have lighter handy, plus throwing match in the gap is safer. 

12 hours ago, tomek said:

throwing match in the gap is safer.

I rarely have matches so I just hold the lighter in front of the quick start nozzle and blast a fireball at the tire to ignite what's in it.  Plus it's more fun to use a flame thrower than to toss a match.

I did that to re-seat my friend's motorhome tire while it was on the rig.  He was a little concerned, but was happy it worked since it was going to take over an hour to get a tire service guy out to us.

Home made tire balancer.

image.thumb.jpeg.5ce74224b8a768a6d5b831bc9c87b6e6.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b4fa031091ce5cdacdceaa99e50887f0.jpeg

It's a little fiddly, but it works fairly well, it's super compact, and was 'free'.  It took time and stuff that I had lying around, but no money was spent on it.  4 small ball bearings, 10-32 screws and nuts, and some angle iron.  It's fairly easy to detect 1/4oz., below that it gets dodgy.  Being that 1/4 is as precise as balancing usually gets, and I don't plan to do any 200MPH rides on this sub-100 MPH bike, I decided that it's good enough.

Interestingly, the rear had no weights and is only 1/4oz off with the new tire.  The front had a 3/4 oz weight about 2" away from where it now needs between 1/2 and 3/4.  I had marked the heavy spot of both wheels without the tires, but the shop cleaned off my marks.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

After taking way too much time and weight to balance a wheel I was mounting for Racer, I decided I am going to check balance on tires and wheels before they are joined.  I have plenty of old wheels I can cut down to make a tire hanger.

Changing tires on a 747 and 777.  250nm, that's a lot of ugga-dugga.

And what happens when you get it wrong.  At SFO, yesterday.

A6FB836B-A3F1-4D8E-A73D-720B6D2DC779.jpeg

1 hour ago, rockmeupto125 said:

I have plenty of old wheels I can cut down to make a tire hanger.

What's your cutting plan?

I've had a few car/truck tires I rotated and re-seated to get a better balance, it was fairly easy since I had machines.