CBR1100XX.org Forum

Who wants to play a brake diagnostic game?

SwampNut

Yes, and still.

He says that the master was overfilled when new.  So was the front.  This is dealer prep I think, so his dealer seems retarded.  It's easy to see the condition of the inside, non-piston side pad by glancing at the bike, and he was satisfied that it was good until it started grinding.

The gender thing was just fucking with you all after Mike said not to make it easy yet.  But also because I had emphasized that "he" didn't fuck it up, the dealer did.

I'm actually not convinced this was the problem.

Well, I've found this. Webster definition of cheaply made chinasum hardware. They put POS like that on 20 grand bike. Lol. Congratulations. 

It is easy to see why that has happened. Once pressure is applied that "caliper" flexes like banana, and locks pins in place. They can't slide, hence one sided wear. 

Here we go. Caliper in question.

s-l1200 (3).webp

s-l1200 (2).webp

Edited by tomek

9 hours ago, SwampNut said:

Yes, and still.

He says that the master was overfilled when new.  So was the front.  This is dealer prep I think, so his dealer seems retarded.  It's easy to see the condition of the inside, non-piston side pad by glancing at the bike, and he was satisfied that it was good until it started grinding.

The gender thing was just fucking with you all after Mike said not to make it easy yet.  But also because I had emphasized that "he" didn't fuck it up, the dealer did.

I'm actually not convinced this was the problem.

Now I'm lost.  In the beginning you said that the problem was figured out, but now it seems like you're saying that there's still doubt?

10 minutes ago, SwampNut said:

He said he figured it out.  I bought it.  Now I'm thinking...maybe not?  I'm thinking out loud.  He's convinced it's fixed.  I'm not sure how to know.

Is the regen level changed by a pressure switch or a mechanically linked switch?  If it's pressure it could possibly be caused by an overfill.  If it mechanical then the lever is being held by him or something.

I'm assuming that the wear and regen are related, which seems likely.

Pressure switch, no mechanical switches on the rear lever (but yes on the front).  I also don't know if the brake light and regen are the same switch, I think no.  Being grossly overfilled should fix itself over time though, right?  Or, I guess, maybe he got all the major wear up front.  Ah, right, that's likely, I was thinking it was wearing more all along.

Either way, both ends were filled to absolute max apparently.

Glancing at mine, I think you could overfill and pressurize it as you screw on the cap.  His bike is a low end model, with a much cheaper brake system, and no clue if that translates.  But seems like it would.  I've got their spic Brembo line.

If it stops having the low regen problem it's fairly safe to assume that the wear problem is also solved, but it would be a good idea to check the temp after a ride to be sure.

Can the disc play a part in this? Not a word of the condition of the disc.

Nothing showing on the disc ? 

Perhaps the piston to bore clearance is more than it should be and lets the piston rock for a microsecond all crooked before it settles?

That is the backing plate showing the anomaly's.

Edited by CALCXX

I had a bike that would loose front brake while parked due to an over-filled reservoir.  The first time it happened it it was fine on the second pump, Hmmm...that's odd.  It got worse and worse.  The only new bike I've ever owned, China bike, overfilled so much that I don't know how they pulled it off.  Once drained it was fine.